Sign in to follow this  
dantheman

best SQ from a ported box

Hi everyone,

quick question...i have a 12" rl-p D4 and want to make a ported enclosure while maintaining the BEST SQ I can (if it makes any difference, I listen mainly to rock). I was told 1.5 cubes tuned to 28 hz. Does this sound accurate?

I love my e12a in its 27Hz tuned enclosure :)

Not overbearing at all.

I'm running 2ft^3 tuned to 28Hz. I love the sound, well, loved, since my amp f'd up back in April, and haven't been able to replace it.

love mine in 2cubes at 27

With properly tuned ported box, SQ doesn't have to be compromised. I use to put my RL-p on sealed, it sounds great but then i ask my installer which happen to be a SQ nuts to listen, look at the spec and built me a ported box, he actually come up with rather smallish volume and built a rather weird ported 'box', to my surprise it work really well, it has a flat response. Still retain the SQ when it was in sealed but goes much lower and doing it effortlessly and yes it's much louder too.

mike told me to do 1.5 ft^3 @ 34hz for the flattest response...

but yes, if you want REAL sq, i say go sealed...i might buy the bullet and do so myself, i just hope i don't miss the output

mike told me to do 1.5 ft^3 @ 34hz for the flattest response...

but yes, if you want REAL sq, i say go sealed...i might buy the bullet and do so myself, i just hope i don't miss the output

you will most likely miss the output. In a sealed enclosure its not that loud. it works well for blending in with the music though. just my 2 cents.

when I'm in my car the bass radiates through the cabin and me. if I step out of my car I can hear the bass but its very low and most peopl most likely wouldn't realize I have a 15" Sub in my trunk. Like I said though, inside the cabin it sounds good. low Hz blend with comps and you really need great comps with good mid bass if you want a SQ system and a sealed RL-p for SQ

^^ ehh...i've got TWO ported rl-p's and my friend's SINGLE SEALED rl-p sounds super SEXY and gets loud to me...(my previous setup consisted of solos so i think i know what 'loud' means..)

and what does your setup have anything to do with this? you haven't mentioned your enclosure specs, nor do i care what your bass sounds like outside of your car....your post was so convoluted, what the hell are you trying to say in that last sentence??