Angelboy863

Earthquake Sound?

Hey guys, it's been awhile...

anyway, i traded in my component speakers and selenium supertweeters for earthquake sound midbass drivers and supertweeters +$40 @ my local audio store.

at first i thought it was a good deal (i felt i had to much high's with the supertweeters and tweeters off component set..)

so i'm thinkin.. mids in front, highs in back, lows in trunk. yeah!

but now idk lol

what do you guys think of this setup?

mids and highs are powered by my kicker zx 350.4 and my sa10 is powered by my kicker zx 400.1 (underpowered, i know.)

i installed the earthquake supertweeters but i havent installed the mids yet, i will do that tomorrow.. as for the highs, they sound just as loud as the selenium supertweeters (same wattage)

my opinion on earthquake sound so far is good. they sound really good in my opinion. my friends didnt notice they were different (they look just like the seleniums) its the earthquake sound sbt200 . is earthquake sound like a knockoff selenium?

mids in front, highs in back, lows in trunk. yeah!

Wait, where are your tweeters?

errm, i drilled holes on the sides in my backseats. idk if you know the layout of a 96 civic but where you can put cups in or other things in, its right behind that lol :ughdunno:

errm, i drilled holes on the sides in my backseats. idk if you know the layout of a 96 civic but where you can put cups in or other things in, its right behind that lol :ughdunno:

:ttiwwop:

That sounds like some very strange staging to me. Any specific reason you put the supertweeters way back there?

i am embarrassed of my installation skills :peepwall:

That sounds like some very strange staging to me. Any specific reason you put the supertweeters way back there?

well, at first, i was thinking bass in trunk and mids up front, in the middle some highs would sound good to balance the sound out :ughdunno:

I promise i wont laugh lol

But seriously if you want to get better then help us help you

:suicide-santa:

well, at first, i was thinking bass in trunk and mids up front, in the middle some highs would sound good to balance the sound out :ughdunno:

does it sound like your highs are behind you?

So let me get this straight you traded a pair of components and supertweeters for mids and supertweeters. Why not just keep the first pair of super tweeters you had and only traded the component set for some mids, just curious. If you had to many highs then you should of just keep the components and sold the supertweeters. What are your goals out of this system, what are you trying to achieve?

Why do you have the supertweeters in the back of the car, especially on the sides by the seats. If you cant fit them properly why do you have them if you dont mind me asking? I would try to find a space up front for them or just get some tweeters you can fit upfront.

Hahah the whole process usually isn't that linear. Its a shame you already cut the holes :(

What I would do is stick the mids in wherever they go and hook them up to power. Same with your bass. The mids can't really move a whole lot, neither can the subs, but the tweeters can go lots of places. Connect the tweets to power, but don't actually install them, just have them loose with the wires running all over the place. Then use either double sided tape or velcro to stick the tweets in different places to see what sounds best to you. When you find what you like best, mount them all up, run the wires correctly, and then you're good!

:)

It's pretty easy and should take an hour or so and is worth the time.

I promise i wont laugh lol

But seriously if you want to get better then help us help you

when i had the component set and seleniums highs overtook the mids so id hear mostly highs and lows lol. ill take pics tomorrow, its midnight :peepwall:

So let me get this straight you traded a pair of components and supertweeters for mids and supertweeters. Why not just keep the first pair of super tweeters you had and only traded the component set for some mids, just curious. If you had to many highs then you should of just keep the components and sold the supertweeters. What are your goals out of this system, what are you trying to achieve?

Why do you have the supertweeters in the back of the car, especially on the sides by the seats. If you cant fit them properly why do you have them if you dont mind me asking? I would try to find a space up front for them or just get some tweeters you can fit upfront.

yeah, the dealer at the store suckered me to get both mids and supertweeters, and i wouldnt want to mix brands really.. i really dont know, i thought supertweeters in the back would sound good, im just trying to get loud and enjoy my music lol. i already drilled holes so i dont think im moving the supertweeters :ehh:

Hahah the whole process usually isn't that linear. Its a shame you already cut the holes :(

What I would do is stick the mids in wherever they go and hook them up to power. Same with your bass. The mids can't really move a whole lot, neither can the subs, but the tweeters can go lots of places. Connect the tweets to power, but don't actually install them, just have them loose with the wires running all over the place. Then use either double sided tape or velcro to stick the tweets in different places to see what sounds best to you. When you find what you like best, mount them all up, run the wires correctly, and then you're good!

:)

It's pretty easy and should take an hour or so and is worth the time.

i originally did that, i had them up near the back window, right behind the seats, beside the seats, front firing, rear firing, side firing. it all sounded the same to me, these things will be loud and high wherever in the car and imo sounded the same in all areas i attempted to put them. i picked the spot that i picked because it was reasonably easy to install there.

do you guys recommend i put the supertweeters in the front and mids in the back?

I don't understand. You couldn't tell a difference between the supertweeters in the rear where there are vs. taped to the door? Taped to the A pillar? Those ALL sounded the same to you?

Why are you trying to separate the Mids and Supertweeters from the front and back of the vehicle?

I don't understand. You couldn't tell a difference between the supertweeters in the rear where there are vs. taped to the door? Taped to the A pillar? Those ALL sounded the same to you?

Why are you trying to separate the Mids and Supertweeters from the front and back of the vehicle?

oh i mean the areas i relocated.. i didnt tape them to the doors or A pillars, but the spots where i wouldve done it, they sound the same.

have you not tried separate highs and mids lol

I like supertweeters and its cheaper to only have one set of supertweeters and mids. i guess a good idea is to have two sets of supertweeters and mids and another 4 channel amp. butttt :fuuu:

You put your mids and highs together in the front like everyone else in car audio. Yes those super tweeters are loud anywhere in the car but you can tell the difference with how they are positioned or where they are positioned in the car. The reason the highs over took the rest of the system because you have super tweeters which will be louder than any car audio component set, that is why you see people running super tweeters with PA mids.

Mixing brands makes no difference when it comes to speakers considering they will be covered up most of the time and you wont be able to see them, most people have mix matched mids and tweeters when going active. It seems like your just buying things and putting them in the car without even thinking it out first. Panels are cheap at the junk yard so you can go buy some more to replace the one's you cut holes in and find a spot to put the super tweeters in the front.

You have the equipment to have a nice loud front stage, its just needs to be properly place and tuned right.

You put your mids and highs together in the front like everyone else in car audio. Yes those super tweeters are loud anywhere in the car but you can tell the difference with how they are positioned or where they are positioned in the car. The reason the highs over took the rest of the system because you have super tweeters which will be louder than any car audio component set, that is why you see people running super tweeters with PA mids.

Mixing brands makes no difference when it comes to speakers considering they will be covered up most of the time and you wont be able to see them, most people have mix matched mids and tweeters when going active. It seems like your just buying things and putting them in the car without even thinking it out first. Panels are cheap at the junk yard so you can go buy some more to replace the one's you cut holes in and find a spot to put the super tweeters in the front.

You have the equipment to have a nice loud front stage, its just needs to be properly place and tuned right.

i like your idea, i guess my train of thought is to have something in every area of the car, front, and back seats.

these earthquakes are temp. i want sundown neo pro 6.5s both in front and back seat. so maybe the hole where the supertweeters are can be where the neopros can go., ...later on..

ill reposition the supertweeters in the front with the mids and see how things go, tomorrow. ill definitely update you guys before i cut more holes lol

Dont be scared to ask a question before cutting, also take pictures to let us know what your talking about as well. We are willing to help as long as you take the time to inform us on why, how and where.

I can honestly say that speakers in the rear create more noise so it seems louder and it actually is to the ear. But speakers up front will be your best bet, they will give you the best sound you can get and have great amounts of output. Dont worry about putting speakers all over the car just to be loud, instead get better speakers or speakers actually geared for more output than standard car audio speakers (PA mids/horns/tweets are the way to go). I used to have 20 interior speakers (6 tweeters and 14 coaxials) in my car so I know how it feels to think more is louder and it is actually true to an extent. 20 car audio mids and tweeters dont have the same output as 2 PA mids and supertweeters, trust me I know I been there. So like I said it depends on the equipment you have at the end of the day.

Over the holiday I played around with my Bose system in my car to see the difference between the front speakers only and front/rear speakers. Yes with the front and rear playing it was louder, not a lot of clarity really (no distortion but just not as clear). You can actually tell its more noise being added into the sound. When I faded the sound to just the front speakers, it was crystal clear and sounded awesome. It helped me make up my mind on the front vs front/rear fill sound stage, I even changed my plans for my install. I was gonna do horns under the dash and 4 Sundown Neo-Pro 8's, one per door since I have a four door car. I decided do to just a pair of 8's in the each front door and the horns under the dash.

Dont be scared to ask a question before cutting, also take pictures to let us know what your talking about as well. We are willing to help as long as you take the time to inform us on why, how and where.

I can honestly say that speakers in the rear create more noise so it seems louder and it actually is to the ear. But speakers up front will be your best bet, they will give you the best sound you can get and have great amounts of output. Dont worry about putting speakers all over the car just to be loud, instead get better speakers or speakers actually geared for more output than standard car audio speakers (PA mids/horns/tweets are the way to go). I used to have 20 interior speakers (6 tweeters and 14 coaxials) in my car so I know how it feels to think more is louder and it is actually true to an extent. 20 car audio mids and tweeters dont have the same output as 2 PA mids and supertweeters, trust me I know I been there. So like I said it depends on the equipment you have at the end of the day.

Over the holiday I played around with my Bose system in my car to see the difference between the front speakers only and front/rear speakers. Yes with the front and rear playing it was louder, not a lot of clarity really (no distortion but just not as clear). You can actually tell its more noise being added into the sound. When I faded the sound to just the front speakers, it was crystal clear and sounded awesome. It helped me make up my mind on the front vs front/rear fill sound stage, I even changed my plans for my install. I was gonna do horns under the dash and 4 Sundown Neo-Pro 8's, one per door since I have a four door car. I decided do to just a pair of 8's in the each front door and the horns under the dash.

thats interesting man, alot of helpful info too. yes i like the idea of mids and highs in the front but im going to feel bad for nothing in the backseats lol. holy crap 14 coaxials?? :captain:

lol .... i need something in the backseats too.

Cars are small plus you have a coupe, speakers in the front will be heard everywhere even if you do a competition car. To each its own but speakers in the front will be cheaper, less wiring and require the least amount of amplification so it will save you money to focus on the substage more. I know how you feel about speakers in the rear but at the end of day reality woke me up from my dream that the rear area of my car needed speakers.

Cars are small plus you have a coupe, speakers in the front will be heard everywhere even if you do a competition car. To each its own but speakers in the front will be cheaper, less wiring and require the least amount of amplification so it will save you money to focus on the substage more. I know how you feel about speakers in the rear but at the end of day reality woke me up from my dream that the rear area of my car needed speakers.

very truee. around 2-3pm (its currently 12:10pm) ill be working on my car with a friend. im going to see where the supertweeters sound best in the front, most likely in my doors.. still bummed that i cut holes in the back, i may put like a picture frame with my family or something to cover the holes lol.

so the plan so far is:

supertweeters and midranges as front stage.

midranges in the stock location of my doors, and probably modifications for the supertweeters in my doors next to the mids.

thanks for the help. ill be updating soon with some pics!

You decided to get rid of your component set because the highs were too strong, and got supertweeters instead? I'm not seeing how that was a good thing. Why didn't you try to EQ the component tweeters?

You decided to get rid of your component set because the highs were too strong, and got supertweeters instead? I'm not seeing how that was a good thing. Why didn't you try to EQ the component tweeters?

at the moment, i didnt want to not have supertweeters. i wanted supertweeters so bad. the component set wasnt a great one either, i EQ the set in every way to hear a difference, imo it didnt..

i dont like component sets (or at least the kicker one) so im trying to have separate sets for mids and highs and see what i can go from there.

although im doing alot of research right now on how i can do this lol.

Update: sorry no pics yet lol.

Didn't get much done but tomorrow I'm spending the day working on my speakers

The earthquake 6.5s will NOT fit in the stock door speaker enclosure... I should've measured but didn't :( the speaker has too much depth. The magnet fits flush in, but the speaker sticks out like a mofo!

Here are my two options:

Cut the hole deeper (which would include cutting metal, nay.)

Or

Have them stick out but build a custom metal speaker grille/cage

They honestly don't look bad sticking out in my opinion its just the worries that Someones foot will accidentally hit them.

What do you guys think I should do?

I'd rather not cut my door frame metal (don't even know what to use exactly) but a flush fit would be rewarding

A custom speaker grille/cage would look badass in my opinion lol.

As for the supertweeters I haven't moved them yet. They sound good where they are for now.. I might move them tomorrow and try to hear a difference