Sign in to follow this  
kingpete

System Rebuild

I just purchased two 15 inch Icon's through the black friday sale. I plan to run them off of a nine.1 each. I am in the process of locating a 240 amp alt for a 97 lincoln towncar. Will I also need a second battery for the system with this high out put altenator. The other issues i have is I am running a pheonix gold xenon 200.4 on a set ed 6500 and a some ma audio 6x9 for rear fills. The ed 6500s can't take the power from that amp though. Can anyone give me some recommendations on how to tackle this rebuild.

Everything sounds like a good plan to me. Why don't you think the 6500's can't handle that amp though? One of the best uses of a gain knob on an amp is to dial in the power that you need. Just because an amp can produce 100 watts doesn't mean it HAS to produce all that power. For that matter headroom is always a good thing to have.

I've always had head room on every amp I've used for the fact of I don't want to buy something and not use it to its full potential, so headroom is a good thing unless you abuse it.

Why don't you think the 6500's can't handle that amp though? One of the best uses of a gain knob on an amp is to dial in the power that you need. Just because an amp can produce 100 watts doesn't mean it HAS to produce all that power

Proper highpass setting and installation have a lot to do with it as well. But again, need to know why you aren't happy with the performance of the 6500's.

^^^^ Just don't abuse and you will be ok. And good luck with the rebuild, I just went through one.

headroom is a good thing unless you abuse it.

+1

good luck on the rebuild :)

love a lincoln

I just purchased two 15 inch Icon's through the black friday sale. I plan to run them off of a nine.1 each. I am in the process of locating a 240 amp alt for a 97 lincoln towncar. Will I also need a second battery for the system with this high out put altenator. The other issues i have is I am running a pheonix gold xenon 200.4 on a set ed 6500 and a some ma audio 6x9 for rear fills. The ed 6500s can't take the power from that amp though. Can anyone give me some recommendations on how to tackle this rebuild.

Not too sure why you need a second battery with your system. Are you wiring your subwoofers to a low impedance? A 240 amp alt maybe just enough for supply your vehicle and amplifier's need.

Doesn't matter if an amp is 10 watts a channel or 1000 watts a channel proper gain adjustment is always necessary. Set your 200.4 gains accordingly.

I understand setting the gains properly and everything just hope that the 6500's can blend well and keep up with the substage. And the Subs will both be ran at 1ohm on a nine.1 each.

Not too sure why you need a second battery with your system. Are you wiring your subwoofers to a low impedance? A 240 amp alt maybe just enough for supply your vehicle and amplifier's need.

Doesn't matter if an amp is 10 watts a channel or 1000 watts a channel proper gain adjustment is always necessary. Set your 200.4 gains accordingly.