Sign in to follow this  
jonbearsmt

2003 chevy 1500

my bosses son has a 03 chevy 1500 cab and a half with the 4 speaker non onstar,.

from what i know it has 6.5s in the fron doors with a what seems .5 inch tweeter mounted above the 6.5 ..... the 6.5s are trashed, i wanted to see if anyone has had any luck with just replacing the driver...

i have a pair of 6.5 mid bass speakers laying around brand new in box, they are 4 ohm. i wanted to just switch out the driver and leave the tweeter,

looking for anyone that has been in the doors,

thanks

Should work fine as long as they are not oversized or too deep. Door panels left up instead of using clips so don't pry.

Sir-Lancelot has re done his doors in a similar style vehicle you could check out his build log.

yea, as long as they arent too deep, theyll fit fine. now the AA 7" mids i put in my truck......whew! that was a job.

ill have to look around and see what the mounting depth is.

unless someone knows it off hand,

Easy easy job. I can take my door panels off and put them back on in 2 min. I replaced the woofers and left the tweets, but the soundstage was too low so I replaced them with tweets on the a pillar. The stock speakers have bad foam rot problems.

well that should not be an issue,. as at this point he has no sub, and a aftermarket stereo, its just cracking up.. its a weird sound.. so im going to start with the speakers, and check into the wiring of the harness at the same time.

i was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with the ohm load being off.. as im not sure what the stock 6.5s impedance is. so if i were to replace it with a 4 ohm i was not sure if it would purpose too little resistance to the head unit. or if it will be fine. IE the tweeter is a 8 or 6 ohm, yadda yadda yadda you get where im going.

The stock are 4 ohm I believe so it should all work out. Could you explain a little more of this cracking sound?

its not like a sound of a dirty coil, or a blown speaker persay but more of like a dirty sound on the track of a CD... but i tried 2 CDs and same thing.. and its not on every track.. only some. seems to be FRQz sensitive ,

when i got into the truck it was very bad.. but then i adjusted some of the levels, and it got better, almost completely gone. but its still there on some tracks.

lol ok thanks.

im not a tard in the game. not asking if the speaker sounds blown im only asking about experiences with swapping out the driver only in the doors.

Yup same problem I had. The foam has rotted and the speaker is playin free air right now and it's over excurding muddying voices and stuff. Or at least that was my problem

Yup same problem I had. The foam has rotted and the speaker is playin free air right now and it's over excurding muddying voices and stuff. Or at least that was my problem

ill be sure to fill yall back in.. im going to check it out sometime this week. ill just be happy to put these speakers to use after all these years. bnib .. i knew i bought them for a reason lol..

my chick gets mad.. cause i just buy speakers. parts express loves me..