Sign in to follow this  
brad02420

Box and Amp for Q 12"

Just ordered a Q 12" 2ohm with cooling and spider option. This will be my first car audio setup so I am super excited.

I know I want to go ported but I'm not sure if it should be firing toward the rear or firing up. It will be going in a 2000 Eclipse. Thoughts?

I've been looking at amps. Thinking 1500W-1700W. I've read a lot of good things about Sundown amps. Was looking at the SAZ-1500D V.2

Then I came across the HiFonics BRE1600.1D and BRZ1700.1D both are priced at $200. Seems like a good deal vs. the $525 for the Sundown. Anyone have any experience with HiFonics amps? Are they any good or should I just save a little longer and go with Sundown?

I'm really a noob to car audio so any help would be great! Thanks!

Edited by brad02420

Welcome sir!!!

Hifonics are good for the money, sundown gets great reviews. Look at db-r.com from time to time for deals.

So Hifonics put out rated power and clean power? I guess what I am asking is. Whats the down side to buying a cheaper amp? Do some of them not put out rated power? Not last as long? Can they damage your sub?

Can you actually hear a difference between 2 different amps that put out the same watts???

I know it probably comes down to "you get what you pay for" but I'm just trying to understand what the difference is.

hifonics is pretty good for what you are paying. i own a 1200 brutus idk the model number its older but not an old one. the mounting feel break pretty easy(mine are plastic) mine are broken, holding on by two feet right now. i have hooked up my friends rf 1500d to mine and yes you can hear a pretty good difference in being loud, its not huge but noticeable. it does not sound any better sound quality wise imo. i dont think any amp will damage your sub unless you have like a 2k amp full blast with one batt and 4gauge wire. you will prob blow the amp and the sub.

Do some of them not put out rated power?

Correct. A good way to check is to see if the Amplifier is CEA certified. But just because it isn't CEA certified, doesn't mean it doesn't put out advertised power. BUT if it IS CEA certified, it does most certainly put out necessary power. Also remember that RMS is what you can expect to see out of an amplifier for daily use. If any company uses peak wattage, its anyones guess as to what the amplifier puts out daily (RMS). I have no idea how they calculate peak wattage, but it's pretty much a garbage number that you'll never see unless.... the amplifier gets struck by lightning.

Not last as long?

Can be a problem, but doesn't happen too frequently. The number one error amplifiers break is user error. There are some flukes, and there may be more with the cheaper amps, but remember, more people have them too. So that can account for hearing about them "blowing up" if you ever have.

Can they damage your sub?

No. Well, yes, because ALL amplifiers can damage any speaker. But a cheap one won't damage your subwoofer as long as you set the settings correctly.

Can you actually hear a difference between 2 different amps that put out the same watts???

Theoretically? Sure. If one amp has a THD (total harmonic distortion) rating significantly higher than another then I could see this being plausible. But these are subwoofers we're talking about, not your front stage. You won't really notice a difference. I personally never have, but that doesn't mean there isn't someone out there who has. As long as both amplifiers are able to produce the power, then you shouldn't notice a difference in sound quality.

I know it probably comes down to "you get what you pay for" but I'm just trying to understand what the difference is.

Not too sure on this myself. But from what I understand, most amplifiers come from the same build house in Korea. Most of them meet the same quality. Most of them have the same parts. An example? The Crescendo 3000 watt amplifier and the Sundown Audio SAZ-3000d have the same exact internals. One of this was about $560 if i remember correctly, and the other was closer to $900?? (been a while since they were for sale new) So what do you get? Brand recognition and customer service. Customer service in the audio industry is HUGE in my opinion. I choose Sundown Audio (the more expensive of the two) because I heard they were super reliable and i heard the company took care of its customers.

Don't want to stear away from my other questions but I have another noob question.

I have a Sony HU that has 3 sets of outputs. Front,Rear,and Sub.

The sub output has a wire with one rca hook up on the end. Not 1 red and 1 white like the front and rear has.

Now when I look at mono amps the inputs are Left and Right. How does this work if my sub output only has one rca?

Do I plug a Y adapter to the HU sub out? Or do I just plug one RCA into the Left input on the amp and leave the Right RCA dangling and not connected to anything?

I hope you guys understand what I'm saying. Best way I could think of to describe it.

Should be able to answer that by looking at a manual for the particular amplifier. But most of the time you hook up the left RCA for mono subwoofer output but you can split it as well.

Should be able to answer that by looking at a manual for the particular amplifier. But most of the time you hook up the left RCA for mono subwoofer output but you can split it as well.

Ok let's say the amp does say to use the left RCA for mono sub. That mean's I need a RCA cable with only one male on both ends? Or do I just leave the Right one unhooked? I'm guessing either would work but all the RCA cable's I see have 2 males on both ends.

Will using a Y adapter instead of using just the left input provide better results. Or vice versa?

Edited by brad02420

Maybe someone can help me understand this a little better too. I plan on a ported box tuned to 32Hz. From what I've read the subsonic filter should be just a hair lower than your box tuning. So I want to set my subsonic filter to around 30Hz correct?

Which means my sub will not play anything below 30Hz from what I understand.

Now from what I've read the Fi Q is good at "digging low". So doesn't that mean it's good at playing say 26-28Hz? Is that what is considered "digging low"?

If my subsonic filter is set to 30Hz than it's not even going to play those 26-28Hz notes right?

Edited by brad02420

Sign in to follow this