Sign in to follow this  
armandosandoval

Sundown amp burning up

I recently came up on a SAE1200d for $125 and after using for a week or so it popped something and it wouldnt work. I took it to a local shop and they said it was the power supply cuz I wasnt giving it enough power so I did the big 3 and im running a 15 fi q at 2ohm. The other day I get it back and have it banging for about 3 days then after work on monday I turn it up and it turns off and it doesnt turn back on. When I get home I check all the fuses and they are good and I turn the car back on and something pops again and smoke comes out and its fried again. Now my question. What could be the culprit?

so your local shop claimed to have repair the power supply?

Yeah they said they replaced it and that they tested it at full tilt and it worked could there be something else wrong that they arent checking.

i have a 2010 ford fusion with an average size lead acid battery rather than the tiny stock one. I was gonna add a small shuriken battery but i was waiting on the wire i was gonna get from work.

were they a sundown dealer?

did they repair it in house or ship it off?

They are not a sundown dealer they did it at their shop. My older brothers have gone there for their audio needs so i thought i would give them a try. after what happened i don't really think they know what they were doing. The main installer has vast amounts of knowledge having been a competitor in bass competitions he said hes been around the world doing that so i thought they would be ok to do it. Yesterday i finally contacted db-r and they are actually cheaper than the shop i took it to. I wish i would have contacted them from the beginning.

They are not a sundown dealer they did it at their shop. My older brothers have gone there for their audio needs so i thought i would give them a try. after what happened i don't really think they know what they were doing. The main installer has vast amounts of knowledge having been a competitor in bass competitions he said hes been around the world doing that so i thought they would be ok to do it. Yesterday i finally contacted db-r and they are actually cheaper than the shop i took it to. I wish i would have contacted them from the beginning.

I'd send it to dbr. Your cars electrical should have no problem with that amp, especially at two ohms.

Yeah im going send it to them soon. Should i try to make the shop refund my money.

Good luck....But it doesn't hurt to try.

true, the first time may have been because of sub par electrical but at 2 ohms you should not have that big of an issue at all. unless your running a 10 gauge power wire or something close.

get it repaired correctly, ya live ya learn.

You do know that doing the Big 3 does not give you more "Battery Power" ... it just stablizes the power you have for better functionality ...

You need more than 1 battery, a stronger alternator, and better wiring ... That amp quit for a reason, you need to figure out what that is and upgrade to accomidate that amp's current draw ...

just saying bro ... Best of luck to you Sir !!!

Ok thanks yeah I got an extra battery I was gonna but on. But even at high volume it didnt dim my lights that bad. Ill check it all again and try to have everything set up rite before I run that amp again.

What guage wire are you running? And how long is your ground wire?

Im running 0 gauge wire and my ground is only like a foot or 2 feet max

Well you're good there, as long as it's a good ground spot.. Where is it?

Try another ground spot that's not on the seats, make sure the area is sanded down really good and theres no paint if there is paint there. I have read in multiple posts that grounding from the seats ain't good.