Sign in to follow this  
Sturchionix

15" mag bx1500d and fiberglass box in the trunk

hello everyone, its nice to meet you all, im new and have been reading alot about these subs and looking all over the forum and have found alot of help and interesting stories and such. my brother had bought a ed12o hooked up to a tsunami 1800 im pretty sure and its nice, to me and what im used to hearing, it booms; it sounds lovely. its in a custom fiberglass box that was molded and put in the back corner/side right behind the wheelwell of his 2002 z28 and fits perfect. i think its close from .8-1.2 cubit feet. it sounds lovely. i dont want to go ed though i wanted to try the magnums out and am going to buy a 15". i wanted to take the spare tire out of my car (93 cougar) wich is in a little cut out in the trunk, but hidden because when in the trunk, if you pull up on a floor matt, there is a maybe 1 ft deep hole thats maybe 30" round for the spare and jack and such to fit consealably. i wanted to take my spare out and like my brother did cutom fit a fiberglass box where that hole is(its not literally a hole, more like a big molded dent.,... you guys know what im talking about i hope) :rolleyes: . i dont have any exact measurements but i just wanted to know if anyone had any general feedback for me. i have a kenwood kdc-mp822 deck, and am going to hook the 15" d2 up to a hyfonix brutus bx1500d and run my stock speakers right from the deck. im guesing thats enough because other topics have told me that small amps will be fine. mainly i just wanted to know if i could do this because it would be in a fiberglass box that makes the sub face straight up, not towards the back or front, but straight up towards the top of the trunk, or the roof etc. if u know what i meen. and as one last question, sorry to anoy everyone with all my rambling on, but i have a stock alternator. dont know how many amps it runs, but for a setup like mine, might i need to make sure my alternator is putting out atleast 120 amps? higher maybe?... thanks for all your support and help, hope to meet some of you guys in the future...

dan

ONce you get the driver installed, that little bit of volume you have left will come out to be about .5 cubic feet if you are lucky. Now you can raise the floor a bit to gain some more volume, but I don't think you want to go through all that.

I think that he'll end up with more than 0.5 cubes after he installs the driver. Anyone have any estimates, cubic-footage-wise, on that spare tire well? The Mag15 might displace .3 cubes at the most.

Well, if his estimates are close and it's a cylindrical shape:

Pi*r^2*h= 3.14*1.25^2in*1=4.9 cubic feet-.3 cubic feet displacement = 4.6 cubic feet.

That seems like an awfully big tire well.

If it's like a half sphere that will require some calculus.

thank you all for the input so far, as a correction, i found out my bro has a e12a and a tsunami 1200.1. not a e12o and 1800.1 ... im just wondering how much louder mine might get than his, give or take sum decibls due to box sizes within 1 cubic foot of eachother.. anyway my car is in the shop until tuesday/wednesday because my transmission is getting rebuilt because it really sucks. once i get it back probably the first thing i will do is open the trunk, grab my trusty ruler and measure the whole inside and the well. aside from all of this i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to protect my sub aside from an alarm. does anyone think getting a python snap twisted cable, or perhaps a big thick linked chain to have bolted from the top to the bottom of the trunk? of course with just enough room to fit my hands in there and undo the lock if i ever need to get in there... but i really dont want my sub getting stolen once i put it in, any one have any good ideas to help me out? thanks again..

dan

ok... well.... i got my cougar back with a new tranny and decided with my dad to get a 5-speed 97 saturn sc2 because its better to spend more money on a car that wont die, then keep spending chunks of money fixing a car that might have many more probs with it. so long story short i have to unfortunately be holding off on the magnum 15 because all my money is going towards paying off like 5 grand between tranny, and my 2 car payments. well thank you all for the replys and help, hope to be bumpin with the rest of ya magnum owners sum day... anyway, c u all L8r