nimbyfaygo

RL-S 15's

I have almost got my mind made up and I'm getting two RL-S 15's! :WELCOME: They are going into a 1996 S10 extended cab.

I have my eyes on a hifoincs colossus II amp to power them. I have talked to mike @ SS, and he thinks that I will be happy with that.

I just would like more opinions on this. I can do a 9.3 cu enclosure. (thats the limit of the space I have to work with. As with the specs being a bit confusing, (I don't have any modeling software) I'm not sure about the enclosure type to go with. I would like the highest output I can get, while keeping the SQ somewhat decent.

Once I get back from Iraq, I want to show one of my buddys up too. He has 4 Memphis M3 MOJO 15's in a 6.5 sealed box. We have no idea whathis spl is but I want more! and to keep the enclosure below the rear window.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Keep in mind that the RL-s is not necessarily an SPL driver... so if your primary concern is SPL, you may wish to look towards a handful (ie. 4) of our RL-p15's and throw them in vented boxes. That'll surely out-SPL the four sealed Memphis drivers. Nevertheless, the duo of RL-s15's off the Colossus II sharing 9 cu ft will be very impressive, and the sound will be absolutely phenomenal.

Not to mention, except for showing off, you won't be able to listen to those at full output if you have any respect for your hearing. ;)

Mike is right about the RL-s's, your going to need a massive enclosure that will eat up a good chunk of the interior or your S10,

if you are worried about higher db#'s, the quaddruplet of RL-ps would have an advantage over the pair of RL-s's, for one thing they require less power and come alive in a ported enclosure

I have to agree with both of you. I think that I would be happier with 4 RL-P 15's. I could get all 4 in there vented with almost the same size box. And that would cost about the same price as two RL-S 15's

Too bad that I had sold the Directed 2400D amps, they would have worked perfect for that.

I'm still looking for amplifier choices though. I don't think that one Colossus amp would be a good choice. I have looked at the Titan series TX1000's, I think that 4 of those work better with dual 2ohm subs. And cost me less money. I'm also trying to consider the power requirments.

I still have plenty of time left to make up my mind, I have about 7 months left over here. :Doh:

if your still looking for an amp, I just looked at US AMPs and they have an AX2000 that is a 2 channel amp that can be bridged at 4 ohms for 2000 wrms. I just need to save up the money for the beast (tax return?), I'm getting the alternator now. Just ask flakko about the US amps.

AX2000 + RL-s = :faintthud:

as much as i love my rl-p 12, of the 2 options above i would go with (2) rls and the baddest 4 ohm amps (yes 2 of them) i could find....plus electrical upgrades. maybe your buddies 4 x memphis would be louder ( i doubt it) but whenever you and he want to drive anywhere, you will both want to go in your truck, because it will sound so much better. my money sais that you could sit / drive in the truck with the rls for much longer periods of time at significantly higher volumes because it will be much less fatigueing. go rls for shizzle! actually maybe just 1 rls and about 4000 wrms? cmon dude, forget trying to impress your buddie, go for a seriously SICK low end instead.

if tuned nice and low the 4 RL-ps will have it too

I'm thinking hard about the 4 RL-P's, I have almost worked out a way to get all four in there ported. after talking with a friend we have worked out a way to get about 11 cu feet out the enclosure. And it looks like tuning for about 30hz would be the bomb. I have seen Orion 2500's on ebay for 400$

Having dual 4 ohm subs would get me 1 ohm loads on the amps. Thats should give me plenty of power, and gobs of loud!

Edited by nimbyfaygo

have you actually had time with a vehicle with multiple rl-ps and 3000 wrms?

and time with a vehicle with an rls and 3000 wrms? to compare? there is just something about the rls to me that is screaming sick sq at really high volumes and below 60hz? (rattleing teeth?)

have you actually had time with a vehicle with multiple rl-ps and 3000 wrms?

and time with a vehicle with an rls and 3000 wrms? to compare? there is just something about the rls to me that is screaming sick sq at really high volumes and below 60hz? (rattleing teeth?)

not multiple RL-p's, but multiple TC9s ;) (not far off)

I know how my single RL-p does on 1200, can only take an educated guess as to 3 more of them, my point is that the RL-s is not made for SPL, and his main driving force behind this install is output, yes the RL-s has the capability of major output, but still a pair of RL-s have a major disadvantage to a quad of RL-ps, not to mention the RL-s needs loads of power at high ohm loads, and the cost of a pair of RL-s' plus a pair of monster amplifers to power them and the electrical system to back them up will be somewhat higher than a quad of RL-p's and a good size D class

oh, and the RL-p's level of SQ is damn nice in my experience, I would not be working on an SQ install (possible competition) with it if it did not sound very pleasing to my ears,

don't get me wrong, I would absolutly love an RL-s 15 in about a 6 cube box and a US Amps AX2000 pushing it, heck I day dream about having one in my future home theatre project, but for this situation the RL-ps are the way to go

not multiple RL-p's, but multiple TC9s ;) (not far off)

I know how my single RL-p does on 1200, can only take an educated guess as to 3 more of them, my point is that the RL-s is not made for SPL, and his main driving force behind this install is output, yes the RL-s has the capability of major output, but still a pair of RL-s have a major disadvantage to a quad of RL-ps, not to mention the RL-s needs loads of power at high ohm loads, and the cost of a pair of RL-s' plus a pair of monster amplifers to power them and the electrical system to back them up will be somewhat higher than a quad of RL-p's and a good size D class

I agree with you. The main idea behind this install is Spl, and four of the RL-P's will be louder, there is no doubt of that. And I want to get the best for my money, thats why I'm here :fing34: The two RL-S's would be amazing i'm sure. But the needing at least 1500 watts @ 4 Ohm is a big hit on the bank!

Now getting maximum output out of the RL-S's with a great VC choice is much easier to do. And I can put two in the same size enclosure as one RL-S, there is like no question anymore on what woofer to get.

I also want to say thanks for leading me towards a better choice. :+1:

no problem, the RL-s has some excellent tech behind its design, and Mike is a perfectionist when it comes to his drivers, and as many can attest from the RL-s demo, it was unreal in the SQ department, but just needed goobs of power and space to get the output they desired

2be honest..i would still keep the 2 rl-s 15's

but put them in a 4th order bandpass (with a 108 square inch port)

i have a desing where u will beat the crap out of 4 mojo15(with rms power going to each of them)

with your 2 rls 15's

besides u have the potential to move more air than all 4 of them

all u need is a very efficient box

u can even put them in a 6th order bandpass..but thats another story..lol

seriously if u want to show up your friends hit me up i got something 4 ya