TravTravStuntAlotHamilton

Sub choice help

Some opinions are helpful, others are not. :lol:

When you say: "Nah man, you need more than a 250a alt to support a solid 5k amp. "

Your making it sound like you play test tones with a pretty low impedance all day long.

To support a 5k amp you need more than a 250a. You know this.

Why would you, or anybody, buy a 5K amp and not plan on using it? Just to say oyu have it?

I never mentioned not using it.

Realistically if your playing music, the impedance in the circuit will be varying all the time, so you won't be drawing the max current 24/7.

Between his alternator and his battery reserve, he should not have an issue with voltage drop hurting anything. Sure he'll likely experience some slight voltage drop, but that doesn't mean his batteries will go dead, he'll get stuck on the side of the road, or his ecu will fry.

There is a misconception that I as pointing out. Battery reserve has NOTHING to do with voltage drop when the vehicle is on and when you are trying to prevent it from happening. The alternator(s) supply the +14V. Batteries, for a 14V system, rest at +12V. Once the current demand exceeds the output capabilities of the alternator voltage will drop. Period, the end.

No if and's or but's about it, 250a inst enough for a daily setup on a 5k amp (this does not even mention the vehicle's electrical demands or other amplifiers used in the system) And if it is than your 5K amp is.....wait for it.....overkill.

Maybe for some people driving around at 12V is ok :ughdunno:

When you say: "Nah man, you need more than a 250a alt to support a solid 5k amp. "

Your making it sound like you play test tones with a pretty low impedance all day long.

Why would you, or anybody, buy a 5K amp and not plan on using it? Just to say oyu have it?

Realistically if your playing music, the impedance in the circuit will be varying all the time, so you won't be drawing the max current 24/7.

Between his alternator and his battery reserve, he should not have an issue with voltage drop hurting anything. Sure he'll likely experience some slight voltage drop, but that doesn't mean his batteries will go dead, he'll get stuck on the side of the road, or his ecu will fry.

There is a misconception that I as pointing out. Battery reserve has NOTHING to do with voltage drop when the vehicle is on and when you are trying to prevent it from happening. The alternator(s) supply the +14V. Batteries, for a 14V system, rest at +12V. Once the current demand exceeds the output capabilities of the alternator voltage will drop. Period, the end.

No if and's or but's about it, 250a inst enough for a daily setup on a 5k amp (this does not even mention the vehicle's electrical demands or other amplifiers used in the system) And if it is than your 5K amp is.....wait for it.....overkill.

I understand your point regarding exceeding alternator's output and voltage dropping to the batteries. So were ignoring float voltage, and assuming the batteries are poorly charged to begin with, yielding a flat 12.0v once the alternator's current supply is exceeded? :)

I experience voltage drop of about .4-.6 volts at full tilt. But could be wire resistance?

Stefan, 12V batteries do not "bump" an alt up to 14V when the alt's output capabilities are maxed.

Stefan, 12V batteries do not "bump" an alt up to 14V when the alt's output capabilities are maxed.

They sure don't.

I experience voltage drop of about .4-.6 volts at full tilt. But could be wire resistance?

Sounds like normal voltage fluctuation to me.

I would not cram 15s like you said. Just because you can possibly fit it, it may not be the best route. Now, if you are stuck on sundown subs only, here are a few recommendations.

You could do 3 Z v.3 12's although if you got D2's you'd either wire to 1.34ohm or 3 ohm load. If you got D1's it would be .67 ohm or 1.5 ohm.

Next, this is just a thought, you could look at doing 4 sa-10s possibly? They recommend 1.5ft^3 for each.

yea this guy is running 3 sa 12's on a 4500 and i think his box is 6 cubes?

and i run 2 sundown nightshade 15s in 6 cubes....

that was my point by saying who said 15's wont work in smaller encloses .it depends on the sub.. nightshades seems to like smaller encloses.

oh and btw i run almost 5k daily... thinking about doubling up...

I would not cram 15s like you said. Just because you can possibly fit it, it may not be the best route. Now, if you are stuck on sundown subs only, here are a few recommendations.

You could do 3 Z v.3 12's although if you got D2's you'd either wire to 1.34ohm or 3 ohm load. If you got D1's it would be .67 ohm or 1.5 ohm.

Next, this is just a thought, you could look at doing 4 sa-10s possibly? They recommend 1.5ft^3 for each.

that was my point by saying who said 15's wont work in smaller encloses .it depends on the sub.. nightshades seems to like smaller encloses.

i dont even think my enclosure for my l7's was even near 6 cubes....but anyway all this talk about a 270alt not being able to run 5k daily.....what amp alt do I need?

I run 5k daily.. on a stock 190 a alt and two d3100s..

And you have a dead ZCON to prove it...... :roflmao:

Ill let u know how my 14k does on 220a alt and 5 xs d3100s double 4/0 runs ;)

We'll see how bad my voltage drop is..

And you have a dead ZCON to prove it...... :roflmao:

x's 2 :roflmao:

A blown woofer has nothing to do with his electrical system. The ZCON experienced mechanical failure.

A blown woofer has nothing to do with his electrical system. The ZCON experienced mechanical failure.

And where did I say it had to do with his electrical system?? I was referring to him running 5k. :ughdunno:

i dont even think my enclosure for my l7's was even near 6 cubes....but anyway all this talk about a 270alt not being able to run 5k daily.....what amp alt do I need?

I think you'll be okay with your current electrical. Defiantly get a voltage meter. You can always dial the gain back if it does drop badly.