Sign in to follow this  
60ndown

weird

i have been running an rlp 12 for about 5 months i.b off a xenon 600.i like everything about it gets sick low, accurate, loud everything, but i got these here s.s. 8s loking at me? i couldnt get em up front so i thought id try em in the rear shelf. :fing34: did some work on the shelf today and had to go for a drive to get some stuff, the weird thing is that now i have 2 holes in the rear shelf (about 6 inch diamiter each) kindof porting the i.b rl-p 12 into the car, it sounds.....better? no longer sealed i.b but kindof mostly sealed with 2 holes in the shelf? im confused i thought this would have destroyed sq and power handling? but it doesnt seem to have done that? anyway ill finish fitting the 8s tomorrow and see whats up with them?? bass is weird! :blink:

I run most of my setups free air in the car. You may have seen my 86 Pontiac 6000LE with the Pioneer 6x9's sitting in the rear deck. Totally sweet sounding.

Seriously though, it sounds like you weren't sealed so well before. Is that possible? That or some psychological switch?? Can't really explain why it would sound better. Drive it again and make sure.

I am curious to your impressions of the 2 8's versus the 12. Will they both be in at the same time?

how is your IB setup? is it normally sealed but firing into the back of the seat and now its got two holes for sound to travel up through?

I run most of my setups free air in the car.  You may have seen my 86 Pontiac 6000LE with the Pioneer 6x9's sitting in the rear deck.  Totally sweet sounding.

Seriously though, it sounds like you weren't sealed so well before.  Is that possible?  That or some psychological switch??  Can't really explain why it would sound better.  Drive it again and make sure.

I am curious to your impressions of the 2 8's versus the 12.  Will they both be in at the same time?

yes both 8s will be runnng at the same time....tomorrow :D

how is your IB setup? is it normally sealed but firing into the back of the seat and now its got two holes for sound to travel up through?

i drilled some 2 inch holes thru the back of the seat metal and then mounted the sub to a baffle, sealed her up pretty good but its a 1989 car so i bet even the trunk rubber is questionable?

oa13zt.jpg

oa145d.jpg

:ugh2:

Edited by 60ndown

ok so is there still a seat directly in front of the sub?

I had a weird situation once also. I made a box for two 12" Audiomobile subs in an Acura TL. The subs faced down and fired into a 3 inch slot that opened to the front of the box and it had a removable plexi rear panel, when I played it without the plexi it actually played a little deeper. Suprised the heck out of me, I thought for sure there would be massive cancellation.

I had a weird situation once also. I made a box for two 12" Audiomobile subs in an Acura TL. The subs faced down and fired into a 3 inch slot that opened to the front of the box and it had a removable plexi rear panel, when I played it without the plexi it actually played a little deeper. Suprised the heck out of me, I thought for sure there would be massive cancellation.

i guess when it comes to cars there is no science involved, by the time we calculate for cabin gain , seats, how many people are in the car, how fast were driving, stuff in the trunk, air con on or off. its just a matter of useing and trusting our ears? build a box / desighn that 'seems' correct and tweak from there. :woot:

Edited by 60ndown

wow that is odd, nothing like getting more out of your RL-p

hey! thats a neat idea. I never thought of mounting the subs that way. whats the cu. ft of your trunk?

I could never do that in my car. my trunk is 20 cu. ft.

so now you have a ported trunk... hey what ever works right?!

i did a lot of driving today, with the holes, played the system hard almost all day, it sounds really good??????????????? im confused , im going to buy some plastic pipe and start trying diffrent lengts to see what happens?

hey! thats a neat idea. I never thought of mounting the subs that way. whats the cu. ft of your trunk?

I could never do that in my car. my trunk is 20 cu. ft.

so now you have a ported trunk... hey what ever works right?!

i think my trunk works out about 24 cubic?

If i had to guess i'd say that you are essentially running it inverted and the area in front of the sub is working as the box. The holes in the deck allow the sound to travel up

that is unless i'm not understanding any of this

someone on another forum sujjested playing test tones and see whats up, i did, i have a disk that starts @ 10hz and goes up in single hz increments, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 at 16 the ouput was good.yes 16hz i could hear it clearly, now it sounded like a medium sized bird trapped in my trunk trying to get out, but it was at the same volume as 20 and 25 30 and 35 hz? so in my quest for completely messing something up that is already good, i plugged one of the holes and installed a 12 inch length of 4 inch diamiter pipe, havent been for a drive yet?

sounds to me like you recreated the Aperiodic enclosures with the seat as the membrane.

Indeedy, and one with too much volume on the front of it. Adding a vent made it almost an IB or perhaps close enough. The pressure drop of the seat must be too much.

i have no idea what im doing, but im enjoying it and learning.

:woot::woot::woot: