Sign in to follow this  
Brett_the_Vandal

Attention SQ And SPL lovers Alike!!

I am about to get a really good deal on two AA Havoc 12"s soon. And I havent got the room for a full ported box in my truck for two 12s.

So heres what i'm doin. I've designed a box which is right around 2.5cuft before driver displacement.

Idk how or what role the size of a sealed box plays with output or with quality.

The box looks kinda like this.

/l

Ll

It is 36" wide x 22" tall x 10" deep.

With the front of the sub having a 45 Degree face starting 12" up the front size. I'll upload a pic in a few to clarify as much as my lil sketches possibly can. Also a double baffle design.

Any info or help would be greatly appreciated!!

Sounds like you got it down. what exactly do you need help with, or want answered?

Heres a pic of my lil blueprint. She aint perfect. But i've gotten it to be the size i've thought is about right. And it looks good to me. But i'd like your guys' opinions before i construct.

DSCN0512.jpg

lol @

The box looks kinda like this.

/l

Ll

Sounds like you got it down. what exactly do you need help with, or want answered?

Really just wondering how a sealed box works. I know that with a ported box (what i have now) is tuned to a certain frequency. And that it plays best around that. Or however that really works. I have a general understanding. Just wanna know more about sealed boxes.

The sealed enclosure will have a flatter frequency response, and not as much of a peak like a ported box (with 30hz tuning, etc).

Sealed enclosure requires less airspace, which works well for your case.

Have you checked to make sure the motor will clear the rear panel when mounted?

And why do the subs have a range of sizes for how big the box should be?

Like the havoc says between .6cuft and 1.2cuft per driver.

Why the range?

The top panel where the speakers are mounted to, is: 36" x ~14"-14.2" Correct?

And why do the subs have a range of sizes for how big the box should be?

Like the havoc says between .6cuft and 1.2cuft per driver.

Why the range?

Different enclosure volumes and types yield different results.

The driver will function well between that amount of airspace. Too little and it isn't as efficient, too much, there isn't enough cone control, or it simply isn't practical.

A lot of what I'm saying is generalizations.

That is correct. And it appears as though i made some mistake. Because my sub will hit the back wall of the box as it is designed now. :/

Make the angled panel larger, in terms of changing the 14" to a higher number. However, this will decrease the volume.

I see what youre sayin. So make the back shorter and the front taller. Making the sub angle up more than 45 degrees. And then it will clear easier?

I see what youre sayin. So make the back shorter and the front taller. Making the sub angle up more than 45 degrees. And then it will clear easier?

Actually my bad, that wouldn't work, steeper angle + depth factor, no bueno.

How come you don't just fire forward, I don't see any other way this is going to fit.

I was just looking for it to fire angled because i know it'd look better that way. And since its all going to be perfectly visible. I'd like it to look nice.

I can go deeper. And then shorter. I was trying to make my box into an amp rack too with the bottom end of the box that flat area being a spot to mount the amp on. But since its workin out idc anymore. I'll just leave the amp as it sits in my truck now. And make the box work.

I could go up to say. 14 deep. Then the box would just have to be shortened down to make the box not be huge internal volume.

I certainly don't want to tell you how you should do it, if you can make it fit awesome, but before you just mentioned changing the depth, it seemed like the only route was to mount on the front panel, and fire forward. :)

spbox05.gif

using this lil pic. lol. Stand the box on the end. So the height would actually be the depth. And the depths the heights.

Using that. I have

14"high x 36"wide x 5"depth1 x 19"depth2.

If that all makes sense to you. lol.

it would help if we knew what kind of truck you have try a slot port if you have room