JohnHinerman

different vechiles and planel flex and vibrations...

I don't know why I was just thinking about this, but since so many people seem to be so impressed by trunks shaking, wipers bouncing, door panels flapping, and all the resonance and noise that some sound systems produce in the vehicles we drive, I just felt like throwing this out there...

Is it just me, or do some vehicles seem to be more willing to do these kind of things than others? Everything has its natural resonance frequency and has the ability to shake, flex, rattle, or anything else it may feel like doing. That being said, I've seen plenty of vehicles with extremely loud setups, and killer bass inside the vehicle, yet while standing out side and observing, they tend to handle everything very well, and you don't hear every part of the car buzzing and rattling away, and you don't see deck lids jumping in the air. And then you see other cars with a mis-match of equipment throw together in what looks like 1st grade art project that sounds horrible, yet from out side the vehicle it looks like the thing is going to fall apart where it is sitting.

When looking at my own vehicles, My RAM plays what I consider to be pretty loud (no, it wasn't built for SPL, yet it is uncomfortable for many of my passengers) and from outside the truck maintains pretty damn good control. Of course the mirrors shake like they should, but aside from that, my rear power sliding glass track and/or glass makes noise, and there is crazy turbulence noise coming from the two cab ventilators as air they are flapping around in the area between the cab and bed.

On the other hand, my Toyota Camry which while driving feels like a very solid car, shakes and flexes like a mofo from a system that was thrown together with parts I had laying around, and does not play nearly as loud as the Eclipse or Truck.

And finally my Eclipse which is not quite as powerful as the truck bounces the rear wiper off of the glass, makes my rearview mirror flip straight down so I can't see anything, yet the door mirrors shake only slightly more than the factory sound system.

Whats the deal? Then when you throw youtube videos of roofs blowing off suv's and stuff, it just seems like there is no real pattern to how vehicle is going to react.

All of this really doesn't mean anything, but as I said before. a TON of people judge a sound system not by how it sounds from the listening position, but by what it is doing to the vehicle it is installed in. I'm all for super loud, extremely hard hitting sound systems, but I am WAY more concerned about the how it reproduces the music I am listening to on my 60 mile round trip to work and back each day, and not what the people are thinking at the stop light next to me....

Well when you think about how different freqs effect the same vehicle, then how many variables play a role in the box design and placement. Plus all the variables with the vehicles construction and ridgity that its impossible almost to predict or generalize.

My volvo didn't flex much, but something similar in a toyota or honda civic would probably flex a lot more.

Not all cars are built the same. :)

Well most foreign cars have smaller support structures and are designed to crumple on impact, have thinner panels to make it cheaper to manufactur. My gmc Sierra on the other hand is a sturdy son of a bitch. It flexes the doors and roof so bad but has only a centimeter of windshield flex.

Yea I have minimal roof and windshield flex in the Crown vic

I noticed this too when i switched my 15 hdc3 to my trailblazer from my 300m. My 300ms windshield, mirror and the my roof towards the front would flex like crazy bit in my tb they would barely move. I even have more power on it in my tb. This is y I laugh when people say shyt sucks because it doesn't flex everything.

I will say from experience Honda trunks rattle like a mofo...working on that but side mirrors don't go to crazy and since I affixed rear view mirror with some JB weld it's holding up nice, not much door or panel flex. With the rearview, the mirror doesn't shake too bad its that it kept falling out of the windshield adapter! LOL was on the freeway once and the damn thing shifted my car into N and I didn't realize it...I thought the trnny was shot!

Ive been in this conversation before not too long ago. My camaros body panels are not sheet metal like most cars and the rest is glass. My side Windows flex since there is no top rail. My car has ttops so the only roof is a boxed steel beam. My car hardly flexes is the moral of the story. Must not be loud.

Ive been in this conversation before not too long ago. My camaros body panels are not sheet metal like most cars and the rest is glass. My side Windows flex since there is no top rail. My car has ttops so the only roof is a boxed steel beam. My car hardly flexes is the moral of the story. Must not be loud.

Yeah you are only doing 55's+.

but it dosnt look loud on a video so its not cool

Exactly man. If the shit don't flex, it ain't loud. :P

Lol I'm not gonna lie, I was disappointed when I saw everybody's rear view fall straight down and mine just...kinda vibrates...

My buddies Grand Prix goes CRAZY, mirrors fall, his license plate flaps and his rear tires move but I'm much louder than he is...and I'm playing in the mid 20's. *sigh*

Exactly man. If the shit don't flex, it ain't loud. :P

Hell yeah!!! I want to buy a Saturn or something like that just so I can see what I can break. Breaking shit in your car with your system is cool. :fing34:

Lol I'm not gonna lie, I was disappointed when I saw everybody's rear view fall straight down and mine just...kinda vibrates...

My buddies Grand Prix goes CRAZY, mirrors fall, his license plate flaps and his rear tires move but I'm much louder than he is...and I'm playing in the mid 20's. *sigh*

Trust me, having your mirror flip down is not cool, its a pain in the ass! I'm constantly flipping it back up again lol