Budah93

Amplifier Question

I just recently bought 2 Sundown Audio sa-15 dual 4 ohm coils. I absolutely love them. I put them in a 7^3 foot box tuned at 35 hz and they get stupid loud. I was wondering what type of amp to get for them? I'm currently running an mtx 81001d @ 1 ohm but i feel like they want more power. I was looking at getting an SAZ-1500D V.2 but i'm always open to better amps. Any input would be great. Help??

If you're looking to give them more power than why are you thinking about another amplifier that's practically identical with output? You would have to increase power by quite a lot to notice a change in output. Probably too much of an increase.

I'd keep the MTX.

X2

Edited by Frostedflakejake

x3 on above. You won't notice a difference.

With the SA series driver you can run 1K daily with no problem as long as your "smart" about it!

With the MTX you already have there would be no real audible difference between that and the Sundown SAZ-1500D v.2

ok thanks for the input, i've just always heard subs do better when matched with an amp of the same brand. And the reason for a new amp is because the mtx is kind of old and i'm ready for a change. I've looked at a few audioque amps but do you think i could put the saz 2500d on them without blowing them?

ok thanks for the input, i've just always heard subs do better when matched with an amp of the same brand.

That's absolute nonsense.

do you think i could put the saz 2500d on them without blowing them?

The difference between 2500w and 1500w is only ~2.2db before considering the effects of power compression, which will make the difference even less. Meaning the audible difference between those two levels of power is rather minimal, but a large increase in the required supporting electrical system and the increased risk of damage to the driver, not to mention the added cost of the larger amplifier. So the question is really why would you want to spend all of the extra money on more power, increased risk of damage, more required electrical support, for minimal audible difference?

Follow up question would be, what type of electrical system do you have?

ok thanks for the input, i've just always heard subs do better when matched with an amp of the same brand. And the reason for a new amp is because the mtx is kind of old and i'm ready for a change. I've looked at a few audioque amps but do you think i could put the saz 2500d on them without blowing them?

This is a false statement. I would suggest sticking with the MTX as others have suggested already. In your experience, I don't think this would be a good idea. Not saying you don't know what your doing, but if you have other misleading information like the one you stated above, I would take a second to study car audio a little bit more. Once you upgrade amps to more power, there are other upgrades that will follow. And IMO, 1k is just about the max you can handle with a stock electrical. Again, this is just my .02 so take it for what its worth.

So would buying a second 81001 amp be worth while? Would i notice a difference in sound? They are pretty loud now but i'm sure they can be louder?

Wouldn't work. Your only options would be to strap them - when strapped the minimum impedance increases from 1ohm to 2ohm and you can't obtain a 2ohm load out of two 4ohm DVC subwoofers, or run one subwoofer per amplifier - which would be 1kw per sub, or an increase of only 250w per sub, which is a maximum of difference of only 1.25db less power compression....i.e. the difference wouldn't be audible. Not a sensible investment.

What is you electrical system?

ii have a completely stock electrical system currently :noob: but i have everything i need to do the big 3 upgrade, and plan on buying a new battery but i have a few questions. 1.) Is adding a second battery a good or bad thing. I've heard both ways so i would like some actual imput. 2.) Red or yellow top optima. Like i said earlier i'm not doing any db drags or anything but my current battery sucks! I would just like to have a constant voltage cuz right now its all over the place. And eventually i plan on getting an HO alternator but currently don't have the money for that kind of investment

ii have a completely stock electrical system currently

Then stick with 1500w, maximum. Your electrical can't really support any additional right now.

1.) Is adding a second battery a good or bad thing. I've heard both ways so i would like some actual imput.

It's fine to add a 2nd battery, but batteries due not replace the need for a proper amperage alternator.

2.) Red or yellow top optima.

Neither. I prefer Kinetik. Many here have a good opinion of XS Power (see their subforum). A sufficiently large Walmart battery would be fine, too.

how to i figure out how big of a battery and alternator i need to get??

Depends on how much power you're running and your listening habits.