audioarsonal

6 15" Obsidian's and 10k......the rebuild!

Well the time has come for me to change it up a bit. I ran the setup for a couple of years and really enjoyed it. It got loud and low.:nod:

But all good things must come to an end. So it was time for some destruction! Things are slow as I have to work around wacthing my son but it is coming along.

Now on to the pics......Before the carniage!

IMGP0001-1.jpg

IMGP0038-1.jpg

IMGP0034-1.jpg

IMGP0024-1.jpg

IMGP0031-1.jpg

IMGP0032-1.jpg

IMGP0029-2.jpg

IMGP0023-1.jpg

IMGP0014-1.jpg

IMGP0016-1.jpg

That's the old.

IMGP0060-2.jpg

IMGP0060-2.jpg

IMGP0066-2.jpg

And so it begins.....

IMGP0068-1.jpg

IMGP0069-1.jpg

IMGP0070-1.jpg

Tools of the trade?

IMGP0071-1.jpg

IMGP0072-1.jpg

Almost gone:(

IMGP0074.jpg

IMGP0075.jpg

IMGP0073-1.jpg

That's all for now. I have to upload a few pictures of the new progress this week.

Thanks for looking.

Alright guys, I know I did everyone dirty with the last pics so I decide to make up for it.

I had to get the shell back in order and sealed up, so there wasn't much to see there other then dust. But I finally mae a little bit of visual progress. Its slow but hey....if JP can do it why can't I! lol

But really here are some quick pics I snapped last night while I started mock up.

Here is the back wall supports. There will be added cross bracing later on.

IMGP0081-2.jpg

IMGP0080-2.jpg

Here is a "basic" idea of the shape that I'm going for. It will not look like this in the end mind you;)

IMGP0001-2.jpg

IMGP0002-2.jpg

IMGP0003-2.jpg

IMGP0004-2.jpg

And what could this be for....?

IMGP0082-2.jpg

Thats it for now. I will continue to get some pictures as I progress.

Alright, I made some good progress this weekend! I was able to get a lot done on the Jeap as well as get my girls box almost ready for paint.

It ended up being a nice weekend for doing everything, not to hot and not to cold so shit wouldn't set.

Anyway, onto the pictures....

Rear wall bracing.IMGP0016-2.jpg

The wall is from my first box I built in the Jeep a few years back. I cut verything down and have slowly used it piece by piece. So I guess you could call me a "GREEN Builder"!

And my damn circular saw took a shit so I was forced to use my jig saw for these couple of cuts.

I routed the back edges for no reason other than I could:nod:

IMGP0015-2.jpg

IMGP0017-2.jpg

IMGP0018-2.jpg

IMGP0019-2.jpg

Rear wall in and attached.

IMGP0024-2.jpg

IMGP0020-2.jpg

Bracing going on.

IMGP0022-2.jpg

IMGP0023-2.jpg

IMGP0021-2.jpg

Here is the basic shape finalized.

IMGP0026-2.jpg

IMGP0025-3.jpg

Secured together tight! Each piece fits snug with no glue or fastener. Thats the key to a solid structure!

IMGP0027-2.jpg

So I ran into a problem with the last build. With the box being built to the b-pillar it made it hard to put the seat back without it being straight up and down and uncomfortable.

Solution.....

IMGP0031-2.jpg

IMGP0030-2.jpg

On to the side walls. This is the first side I did.

IMGP0032-2.jpg

IMGP0033-2.jpg

IMGP0035-2.jpg

IMGP0036-3.jpg

It was soild but I didn't like it. So when I did the other side I changed it a bit.

IMGP0038-2.jpg

IMGP0039-2.jpg

I secured the top to the side wall for another point of contact. Seems much more firm now! I also added some laterial bracing.

IMGP0037-2.jpg

Both side the same now.

IMGP0040-3.jpg

IMGP0041-3.jpg

IMGP0042-3.jpg

And then I got started with the base.

IMGP0043-3.jpg

IMGP0044-3.jpg

IMGP0045-4.jpg

IMGP0046-3.jpg

IMGP0047-4.jpg

IMGP0048-4.jpg

So that's it for now. Once get some more free time I will finish the top. Than start on the baffles. That's when everything will really start to take shape! Stayed tuned:thumbsup:

Alright I got some more done this weekend. You guys have no imagination whatsoever.! Lol

Now if you all can't figure it out with these pics you'll just have to go with it....

So onto the latest updates. I'm still waiting on my new Jasper jig since I broke my last one. So progress will be a little slow for now.

IMG_20111121_164508.jpg

IMG_20111121_164453.jpg

IMG_20111121_164438.jpg

IMG_20111121_164429.jpg

That's all for now.

Alright....I wasn't able to get as much as I would have liked to get done. But I did make progress. The damn weather just doesn't know what it wants to do. Last weekend it was 20 degrees and snowing, so I couldn't work outside. And now this weekend its supposed to be 55 and sunny. WTF:angry5:

So I plan to do this weekend what I couldn't do last week. Gonna get the frame-up done at home then take it to the shop and do the glassing so it can cure.

Here is what most of my time has been going to lately.

chritmas2011151.jpg

chritmas2011158.jpg

This little monster is getting into everything and just starting to walk. So I have to keep an eye on him every minute.

Anyway, on to the pictures. Its not much but its something....

Tools of the trade.

chritmas2011258.jpg

chritmas2011259.jpg

First passes...

chritmas2011264.jpg

chritmas2011262.jpg

chritmas2011256.jpg

chritmas2011261.jpg

Damn, you're definitely thorough with the pics, what's next? :drink40:

Here is what I got. I bought 2 pieces of 4x4 instead of 4x8 this time so I could fit it in the van. And as everyone knows the regular MDF 4x8 is actually oversized by an 1". Well come to find out the cut exact dimensions on the 4x4 sheets:mad:

So I wasn't able to get a full 3 rings wide like I was planning...

chritmas2011265.jpg

chritmas2011266.jpg

chritmas2011263.jpg

Completely cut...

chritmas2011255.jpg

chritmas2011254.jpg

What you get when using a down spiral bit as apposed to up spiral...

chritmas2011257.jpg

Here are the 4 rings for the horizontal subs...

chritmas2011271-Copy.jpg

chritmas2011269.jpg

chritmas2011270.jpg

chritmas2011268.jpg

Nice little radius on the inside edges...

chritmas2011272-Copy.jpg

This piece is for the vertical sides. It will allow me to recess them...

chritmas2011273-Copy.jpg

inside edge radius...

chritmas2011275-Copy.jpg

Alright....Sorry this is taking so long but it is coming along:thumbsup::thumbsup: Every time I get some free time the damn weather goes to shit! So I'm confined to my garage to do any work.

So, over the weekend I was able to squeeze in some work. Between the little one getting into shit and the snow I was able to get 2 of the baffles 85% done.

My intentions are to wrap these in vinyl along with the side panels once completed. I'm gonna incorporate some LED lighting as well, to brighten things up a bit. On the back I can't decide if I want to go with edge lite acrylic or a mirror back?

So on to the pictures. They aren't much cause I didn't have time to take pics every step. But you can get an idea....

First one....Kinda looks like some sort o mask or something:dontknow:

IMGP0046-4.jpg

IMGP0043-4.jpg

Here you can see some of the shaping...

IMGP0042-4.jpg

IMGP0044-4.jpg

IMGP0045-5.jpg

This is the lower piece. Its a bit different as I didn't want the top and bottom to be identical...

IMGP0038-3.jpg

IMGP0039-3.jpg

IMGP0040-4.jpg

IMGP0047-5.jpg

That's it for now. Both of those pieces are blocked and sanded and just need a coat of glaze. Then they will be ready to get covered. After that its on tho the surround pieces that will house some acrylic and more mids. The bottom will have 2 highs amps with some LED lighting.

Stayed tuned:thumbsup:

So, I was able to finally get some more work done. It was a nice weekend(little chilly) but nothing that stopped me from getting things done! I started on the side panels that would house the inverted drivers. My original plan was to assemble the pieces as I would installing the drivers, top and bottom first than the sides. Well that didn't happen:sad5: I ended up having to modify the top and bottom pieces a bit. Instead of them going in first I had to shorten them so the would fit after. Then I had to mess with the sides. With the shape chose it makes it hard to fit them in directly. So I have to "fold" them into place, well with the angles its just wasn't happening.

So I finally got it figured out and fitting properly, and was able to get it in an out fairly easy. So I set the shape I wanted and away I went.

SO on to some pictures...You can see it had to be pushed back pretty far.

IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0534.jpg

IMG_0535.jpg

Materials needed...

IMG_0537.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Tools used....

IMG_0538.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

And after 3 layers of chopped mat...

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0543.jpg

Turned out nice and flat after rolling:thumbsup:

I'm digging all the wood work. Bracing and front of wall looks stellar.

What weight mat are you using? Three layers seems a bit thin?

Edited by stefanhinote

Thanks everyone! I figured I would post up the log here for those who may have not seen it yet.

I case your wondering last set up did 54+@30hz certified on the dash sealed. And the front stage is 3 way active.

Thanks everyone! I figured I would post up the log here for those who may have not seen it yet.

I case your wondering last set up did 54+@30hz certified on the dash sealed. And the front stage is 3 way active.

I love seeing glass work, unfortunately not too many people do it, or post it on ssa.

I have been glassing for the last 5 years. I prefer the fabrication side more then the install stuff nowadays. I still do them I just have more fun creating things.

I have been glassing for the last 5 years. I prefer the fabrication side more then the install stuff nowadays. I still do them I just have more fun creating things.

Yep. I could care less about seeing someone wire up a headunit.

The glass I use is 3oz chopped mat. It is about 1/8" thick and is nothing like the regular chopped mat you get from a store. Plus the new B435 resin you can only lay up 3 layers at a time. So I can't pile them like the old b440. At least that's what they recommend. I may try and see how it goes on a smaller project. But as of right now all panels are solid. And remember only its only a small bit of glass section.The wood framing around will be glued and screwed!

Edited by audioarsonal

3oz is thick, just from the pictures I thought it was a lot less, like 3/4oz.

Using the 435 from uscomp? That's what I've started using, and I'll never go back.

Yes its from UScompsites. Wets out nicely and has great pot life. Only down side I find is it has a bit more shrinkage then 440. And the pics are all the pieces ripped up that's why. If you seen the sheet it would look much different.