splxtreme

xmax and ported?

I've been trying to decide on subs for a while now, and ported seems to be the route I want to go. Currently I only have 1000rms to work with (hopefully more later), but overall with this much power, should I be concerned at all about xmax? Obviously I will have a SSF, and just not sure how crutial it is for a high xmax driver. I haven't had subs in a long time, since I've had kids, and the drive to work in the morning with some people on the road driving me nuts, I need to have something to relax me :)

I've been looking at 15's because of the cone area, and I have an SUV, so size isn't that big of a deal, even though I'd like to keep the box within reason, so no more than 2.5cubes.

I've been starting to listen to a lot more dubstep, and once I have a sub, I'll probably bust out the old BASS 305 and such. I'm not super concerned about sq, but I would like the system to keep up with some metal, and not sound muddy. I have the DLS up6i's up front and they work well for me.

So, I guess maybe some recommendations would be nice too. I've been looking at the fi Q, SSA Icon, AE AV X (if they become available again) but can't decide. Plus with the options, i'm not sure which will work best for me.

I'm sure I'm missing some info, but some suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you only want to sacrifice 2.5 cu ft, you should better look at a 12 inch driver.

Do you care about loudness more then it sounding flat across a big frequency range?

There are no 15's that work properly in 2.5cu ft enclosures.

If you only want to sacrifice 2.5 cu ft, you should better look at a 12 inch driver.

Do you care about loudness more then it sounding flat across a big frequency range?

There are no 15's that work properly in 2.5cu ft enclosures.

I'd rather have it flat across a larger range. I'm not apposed to a 12, but if I were to do a 15, what enclosure size would be more in the range?

You will probably have to go sealed with the 15's in a 2.5cf box with 1lb polyfill per cf to get the response your wanting but you will sacrifice some db's for the smaller footprint of the box.