Sign in to follow this  
helotr3vor

New sub/s for Audi A4 B8

Hey guys been off the market for a while but looking into buying a new car so of course had to come back and guys your guys' opinions on systems. I should be finding myself in a B8 A4 within the next month or two and already know I'm going to want some kicking bass in the trunk. I have previously had the Fi BL 18 in a big ported box... boy did I love that thing but had to sell a few things.

First off I would like to ask if anyone has ran into any issues with installing systems in the B8 A4 models. I wanted to just add a sub and an amp but wasn't sure if I was going to run into allot of issues without replacing the head unit.

Second, for those of you who have gone from ported to sealed, was it not enough and you eventually go back to ported? For the trunk systems do you prefer sealed or ported?

I was originally thinking of going with either one or two 10" or 12" in a sealed box. Most likely going to power it with a sundown 1200.1. The subs I was thinking of so far are,

Fi Q

Incriminator Lethal Injection

SSA Icon

Sundown E

Im going for a loud sealed sound quality setup. I felt as if my BL definitely got loud enough but sometimes it couldn't keep up with my music. It drives me crazy when the bass lags even the slightest bit. Oh and did I mention, it has to be able to hit the lowwwwws as well.

Edited by helotr3vor

Both are good choices :) going to be hard to decide. By the way I changed the amp to the 1200.1 forgot they upgraded.

Two Sundown SA-12 would be nasty sealed or ported on 1200wrms.

If you have room go ported if not go sealed.

How does the SA-12 compair to the Q? I'm pretty sure ill have room for ported I just wasnt sure with a trunk build.

New scenario. Ported box is at ideal size tuned to 32hz. Amp for powering the sub/s is Sundown 1200.1

What number?

1. Fi Q 12

2. SSA Icon 12

3. Incriminator Audio Lethal Injection 2x10

4. Sundown Audio SA 2x10

installed a Icon 12 in a ported enclosure in my bro's sentra. really great sounding subwoofer.

it doesn't sound like the Fi Q is your style of subwoofer. its a great sub but it just sounds like your looking for something with more output.

the Poll thread is probably not the greatest idea, its just popularity contest.

what we need to know is what exactly your goals are.

are you expecting a single 12" on 1200watts to keep up with your old Fi BL? that probably wont happen.

its even possible that your sub stage wasn't the problem in your previous install. perhaps you had the BL playing to high or your frontstage was lacking, which gave the impression the subwoofer was to blame.

you mentions the bl had problems keeping up? with what exactly? which songs?

the Poll thread is probably not the greatest idea, its just popularity contest.

what we need to know is what exactly your goals are.

are you expecting a single 12" on 1200watts to keep up with your old Fi BL? that probably wont happen.

its even possible that your sub stage wasn't the problem in your previous install. perhaps you had the BL playing to high or your frontstage was lacking, which gave the impression the subwoofer was to blame.

you mentions the bl had problems keeping up? with what exactly? which songs?

I am not expecting any of these to have the output my 18 bl did. Im going with a smaller setup and fewer amps in the trunk as well. The bl seemed to just lag if the song was an up-beat bass heavy song. I listen to a lot of dubstep/d&b along with everything else from led zepplin to bob marley to tupac.

I almost have everything together for my system, and should have it installed by the end of the month. I drive a Jetta, and my car is just a bit smaller than yours. I chose the Sundown 1200D, and two Sundown SA10s. I got my box designed by PWK. Everything is sitting in my garage ready to go, except the MDF, and the Amp, which will be here tomorrow. I will post a build log when I am done. Maybe it will help you decide on what you want to do.

I almost have everything together for my system, and should have it installed by the end of the month. I drive a Jetta, and my car is just a bit smaller than yours. I chose the Sundown 1200D, and two Sundown SA10s. I got my box designed by PWK. Everything is sitting in my garage ready to go, except the MDF, and the Amp, which will be here tomorrow. I will post a build log when I am done. Maybe it will help you decide on what you want to do.

Yes please post or message me the link I would love to follow.

Just started cutting the wood for the box last night. Taking my time to make it perfect.

Just started cutting the wood for the box last night. Taking my time to make it perfect.

Nice I love the feeling of starting up builds. You cant take your mind off it till you hear that bass. Good luck with it im going to the dealership with my dad today to check out the Audi for the first time and hopefully influence him a little bit :P

Pretty sure in the proper enclosure those sa10s will put a hurting on that bl.

All the wood is cut except the mounting holes for the speakers. Gotta see if the wood shop on base has a circle jig, otherwise I will make my own. I started assembling and painted the port area tonight. Once I get the speaker holes cut, and it finished assembled, it will still be a while before I bump. I still need to wire my amp up, and I have a Parts Express order on the way to finish the box.

I will be taking leave at the end of next week, so it, plus tons of pictures will be complete soon.