Sign in to follow this  
CrownVic

Want to rebuild a stoplight

I have an old traffic light that a famiily member gave me to rebuild, I plan on cleaning it up, and replacing the old incandescant lights with LED strips. I already have a small power transformer, and Ive figured out how im gonna do the LED's.

I need help on where to find a suitable timer that can replicate the function of a traffic light, or just flash each light in order.

If you're even a little savvy with electronics you can build your own timer using a 555 timer chip or two and some resistors to trigger some little relays. Very simple to use.

You could get a little breadboard, the 555 timers and stuff you need from Parts Express.

I do have a bread board and many resistors already, thanks for the info. Ill look into that timer now.

There's about a million websites out there with sample circuit diagrams for 555 timer based timing circuits, just a little searching is all it will take.

So after more research the circuit above wont work, because the 555 timers don't have the current capacity to handle the LED strips Im gonna use.

So any help would be great, Ive got a transformer already so I plan on having the actual timing and lighting circuit on 12.6 volts.