Basically, I am contemplating the carputer idea heavily and will be looking for ideas as far as EQing and setting the system up.

I want it headunitless, so an external unit is needed. Is there something out that has all the features of an active type of headunit? (think TA etc...)

Any ideas post them up, the carputer is only in the early stages but I will be putting everything together in pieces.

Help me out here

if you can deal with the cost, the Audio digital crossover/EQ is very sweet

Behringer 2496 with a 12v conversion!

Behringer doesn't have a good EQ/Xover combination. You'd have to get a pair of Behringers. And, at the point, I'd rather suggest you go with a db DriveRack PA and convert it to 12V.

But, for about the same cost you could just go with an Alpine H701 and C701. Going this route, you could find a sound card with digital output and run digital back to the H701.

Zapco also just came out with a new processor. Can't think of the name offhand. Zapco also just came out with their Digital Reference amplifiers...which have a ton of active control built right in.

Or, the Kicker SX series amps likewise have a ton of active control built in. Not as much as the new Zapco's, but at a much lower price point.

:Doh: I missed the eq comment and just thought about pc controlled crossover...the 701 combo would be sweet and would allow you to use a pretty cheap soundcard without issues. If you go analog out on the carputer you will need at least 100 bones for a pro-audio soundcard and preferably 200.

Behringer doesn't have a good EQ/Xover combination.  You'd have to get a pair of Behringers.  And, at the point, I'd rather suggest you go with a db DriveRack PA and convert it to 12V.

But, for about the same cost you could just go with an Alpine H701 and C701.  Going this route, you could find a sound card with digital output and run digital back to the H701.

Zapco also just came out with a new processor.  Can't think of the name offhand.  Zapco also just came out with their Digital Reference amplifiers...which have a ton of active control built right in.

Or, the Kicker SX series amps likewise have a ton of active control built in.  Not as much as the new Zapco's, but at a much lower price point.

The DCX2496 is more than capable of handling pretty much anything. Granted, it will only do 3-way stereo, but the crossover and EQ functions are tremendous. There are many features that the "normal" user wouldn't understand.

I've been contemplating the CarPC Idea, but I would prefer to have all processing handled by the computer. I don't know of any programs available for this yet, so . . . .

Would any of the Alpine pxa series stuff work the same, or are there MAJOR differences that would make someone lean towards the newer 701?

I am definately liking these things and they seem to be highly recommended, even if I decide to stay with a headunit and not the carputer.

Would any of the Alpine pxa series stuff work the same, or are there MAJOR differences that would make someone lean towards the newer 701?

Not sure what you mean? The only PXA series they presently offer is the H701.

Unless you mean compared to the older H700? In which case, yes, the H700 would be exactly the same. Only differences are that the controller is included with the H700, and I believe the color for the controller is grean instead of blue.

The AC will work to, but if you are going carputer I really like the 2496 route as you can control it from the same screen you play your music from. FLAC player ftw!