accordwithbass

Could the Dcons take this power?

Im about to buy 4 new subs, I have the DD M3a which says it puts out 2200 watts at 1 ohm. If I got 4 dcons, do you think they could handle this power? Or should I jump up to the 500-7000 watt speaker range? I heard the dcons are very efficent at 300 watts, I would be doubling their power. Im thinking I could do this if I turn my amp down so Im not giving them the full 2200 watts? Opinions?

Properly set gains and the right box it wont be an issue.

I could also get the sundown e15s. They are 400 watts so that will get closer to the 2200. Ill set my gains with a smd distortion detector and build a smaller enclosure for them, correct?

Agreed, just because your amp can do that power doesn't mean that you have to use it. I wouldn't use more than 300 for a DCON, no need to. If I were you and not in too big of a hurry I'd wait for the GCON.

Agreed, just because your amp can do that power doesn't mean that you have to use it. I wouldn't use more than 300 for a DCON, no need to. If I were you and not in too big of a hurry I'd wait for the GCON.

GCON would be the way to go if your willing to wait like he said. If you still intend to push forward a smaller box will help power handling but far more plays into it than just the size of the box.

M3a is more like a 3,000w amp. lol.

I'd say wait for the GCON's and 4 of those at 1ohm would be ok I think. Or, just get 3 ICON's lol. :)

I could also get the sundown e15s. They are 400 watts so that will get closer to the 2200. Ill set my gains with a smd distortion detector and build a smaller enclosure for them, correct?

Sundown has always been known to handle more than rated power. I would go with the E's or even SA's.

Sundown has always been known to handle more than rated power. I would go with the E's or even SA's.

Why does everybody think that subs can take more than rated power.

Alot has to do with the box and how you setup your amp.

no clipping and distortion ill say yes

no clipping and distortion ill say yes

Then you buy some and try it. Then let us know. adhd.gif

Ask Aaron if they will.

Build enclosure to spec and run rated power. Could they handle more sure if done correctly and dont complain if they fail. Ratings are set in place for specific reasons and you should not start putting more power to them on account of what others have done or said, seen, ect. Should you feel your electrical is up to par and you have a clean signal as well as an enclosure that is up to par than slowy began adding power until you feel they are at a point they will not take anymore. Remember there are more than one limit that will cause a subwoofer to fail like bottoming out, over excursion, thermal limits, should you find your self adding more power pay close attention to these as your Distortion detector will not save you from any of the above nor will it 100% determine your signal will always be clean.

In conclusion it is not reccomended to run more than rated but is possible. No one will be able to tell you x amount is too much as there are way too many varibles and is install dependant. Have fun!

Why does everybody think that subs can take more than rated power.

Alot has to do with the box and how you setup your amp.

Because certain manufacturers use that as a selling point. His drivers naturally handle more power due to their constuction, but they are rated to handle less, yet marketed as being able to take more abuse. It's a psychological hit. People don't understand what is happening and their brain interprets this as being a superior product so they buy it. It would be the same if the Dcons were rated for 100watts, yet Aaron and Mark marketed them as being able to handle 3 times their rated power with no issues. This has been in use since the beginning of time. It's been prevalent in car audio for many years and became very popular when "cheater" amps were around. It's VERY misleading, but apparently doesn't skar the manufacturers as people continue to buy their product.

Build enclosure to spec and run rated power. Could they handle more sure if done correctly and dont complain if they fail. Ratings are set in place for specific reasons and you should not start putting more power to them on account of what others have done or said, seen, ect. Should you feel your electrical is up to par and you have a clean signal as well as an enclosure that is up to par than slowy began adding power until you feel they are at a point they will not take anymore. Remember there are more than one limit that will cause a subwoofer to fail like bottoming out, over excursion, thermal limits, should you find your self adding more power pay close attention to these as your Distortion detector will not save you from any of the above nor will it 100% determine your signal will always be clean.

In conclusion it is not reccomended to run more than rated but is possible. No one will be able to tell you x amount is too much as there are way too many varibles and is install dependant. Have fun!

Awesome post and explanation! I would like to add one thing if I may. If the driver fails due to abuse, it is easily determined and ultimately user-error, so do NOT expect a warranty from any company to cover such.