Sign in to follow this  
Briggiboy33

What other amplifiers should i be looking at?

I am planning on buying the hifonics brutus brz1700.1d for around 200 bucks. I will be only using it at 4 ohms for the time being untill i recone my subwoofer to single 2 ohm then ill run it at around 900rms. And if i ever end up going to a comp ill turn it up more. But what other amps should i be considering in that price range and power range? Btw i have stock alt in a 06 tundra and stock battery 4 awg wires... Will this be enough to power this amp? I can probably get 1/0 or 2 awg if i need to but as you can tell im not rolling in money.. Any comments, criticism, jokes... Its all welcome

What sub is this for?

You mention price range. I don't know how much that amplifier costs. What is your budget?

Its for an x12... But ik its over powering it... But the amp is right around 210 shipped. And i only run it for maybe 10-15 mins at a time. Ill use a dmm to set the gains and everything. There shouldnt be any clipping at all. On the weebsite it says something about tighter bass at 4 and 2 ohms than 1 ohm... Why is that?

Btw i guess its only an 80 amp alternator. Is that big enough for 1200 rms?

How much is a recone for an x? If I were you I'd sell it and grab an SSD or something that will take that power better.

The recone would be about 60 or 70 but id like to do it mySelf just for the experience. But its my b day soon and im asking my parents for the amp.. Loli dnt rly have the money for it. Haha 17 no job... But idk, how much could i get for my x12?...

The recone would be about 60 or 70 but id like to do it mySelf just for the experience. But its my b day soon and im asking my parents for the amp.. Loli dnt rly have the money for it. Haha 17 no job... But idk, how much could i get for my x12?...

Throw it on craigslist for 150 obo. If you can get 100-120 out of it getting the ssd wouldn't be any extra if you use the money you were putting out for the recone. I'm just throwing out another option for you.

setting your gains with a dmm is actually gonna cause you to get less than ideal power out of your amp.

For the budget minded, get an APSM-1500.

The best bang for your buck,

1500w amp for under $150 shipped at many places. AP has stepped up their game some recently and their amps are not overrated.

I believe that the brz puts out a bit more power at 2 ohms 1200 rms and 600 at 4 ohms. Hopfully recone soon. But how come with a dmm you dnt get as much power?

if you set your gains with dmm with sub attached, you will probably get less power.

If you set gains with dmm with no sub attached, depending on your electrical system, can cause your amp to clip due to low dc voltage..

It's complicated.. basically, i hate dmm tuning gains. Unless the manufacturer specifically told you what voltage to aim at, i dont trust it. Too many other variables at play.

Well how should i tune it? Osciliscope? Thats the thing with the waves right?

if you want it to prevent clipping, getting the utmost out of it clean for certain, then yes.

O-scopes aren't necessary but luckily, nanoscopes can be had for under $100 so it's not as expensive as it used to be.

An oscope will also read ac voltage like a dmm but you will know for sure what voltage it needs to be set at to get that "perfect" gain setting you are looking for.

You can use easy math formula to find ac voltage but it won't be as simple as 2+2 as you can see with an oscope due to variables at play.

Just remember, the DC voltage you set it at when using a scope, dropping your DC voltage at that volume level will induce light to moderate clipping depending on how low your voltage drops.

Some clipping isn't bad, constant abuse is.