btmhwb

magnet weight

when are the rl-s's going neo? or can they with the LMT? and what effect would that have on their performance?

It is possible and has been discussed, however at this point in time the cost is prohibative - particularly given that most people aren't even ready to take the plunge for this beefy beast of a driver as is. This is of course subject to change as the linear motor design gets more mainstream publicity.

so, whem choosing a sub, it would be best to have these graphs available ?

from what i've seen on the internet, only tc sounds provides these graphs.

The graphs are nice if you understand 'em, but are typically only provided on the engineering / OEM side of marketing, as the general consumer often isn't informed enough to extrapolate the data. When I first opened up shop I had posted three Dumax graphs on the parameters page for each of my initial stock of drivers, but after a couple months it was evident that most people didn't know how to take 'em due to all the curious emails I was receiving asking about 'em.

Then I added some new drivers that I didn't have graphs for (ie. the RL-i8 and LM's) and ultimately pulled those images from my pages. Kyle says they broke the machine trying to measure the RL-s.. I wonder if that means they pulled a graph sucessfully or not ;) - cause that is one driver where a comparative BL vs excursion graph would be nice.

when are the rl-s's going neo? or can they with the LMT? and what effect would that have on their performance?

It is possible and has been discussed, however at this point in time the cost is prohibative - particularly given that most people aren't even ready to take the plunge for this beefy beast of a driver as is. This is of course subject to change as the linear motor design gets more mainstream publicity.

cool.....will it change the performance any? i mean, is it worth the investment to convert the rl-s from ferrite to neo? and would the cost be outweighed by the resulting performance?

btw...la storm 12 with ferrite magnet and honeycomb cone 44pds. la storm with neo motor and aluminum cone 31pds.

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

btw...la storm 12 with ferrite magnet and honeycomb cone 44pds. la storm with neo motor and aluminum cone 31pds.

Thanks Mrray for weighing them. Hmmm, 13lbs, not bad but I thought it would be more.

I can see mounting depth being a problem for some, but if your buying a sub if this magnatude you have an idea as to what and where...

cool.....will it change the performance any? i mean, is it worth the investment to convert the rl-s from ferrite to neo? and would the cost be outweighed by the resulting performance?

The main advantages for switchin' to neo would be to increase the Bl (which would be great from a marketing standpoint, as people don't seem to care that the Bl is constant throughout stroke on this driver, since at rest it seems comparatively less than others due to the minimum windings in the gap at that time), increased efficiency, and decreased weight. I'm pretty sure the RL-s uses more ferrite than the LA Storm series, so the reduced weight benefit should be even greater.

Unfortunately, just for cost of parts, the neo motors are about a $60 increase, and going through the proper channels, my production would increase somewhere between $75-$100 per unit, which given the relatively slow sales of the driver in its present state, is a risky investment so far as I'm concerned. But, if people start buyin' em in mass, then I'm sure you will ultimately see the switch to neo as well as two other upgrades that will increase the driver's efficiency and practicality. I won't go into details on that, since I don't want people to be "waiting" for it, in case it never happens! ;)

Hey mike, i got my rlp the other day. I had a question for you. The other sub i had in that box was a bit bigger (inner diameter), and when I put the rlp in, all of the screws caught except one. I think the hole is bad for sound output and stuff. Is there an easy way to plug the hole? Should I put a small amount of epoxy in the hole and let it seal? Other than that, the sub sounds great.

Epoxy, silicone, any way you slice it just make sure that hole is patched up good and the remaining screws should keep the driver tight. If that fix doesn't stop all the leaks, try using some of [this stuff] around the mounting flange of the driver to seal up any weak spots. You might even consider sealing up all the previous screw holes, rotating the driver, and drilling new ones.. that or build a new box :ph34r:

Epoxy, silicone, any way you slice it just make sure that hole is patched up good and the remaining screws should keep the driver tight.  If that fix doesn't stop all the leaks, try using some of [this stuff] around the mounting flange of the driver to seal up any weak spots.  You might even consider sealing up all the previous screw holes, rotating the driver, and drilling new ones.. that or build a new box  :ph34r:

Good recommendations, of course adding another baffle layer never really hurts either. The only hard part is rounding over the old baffle on the inside of the box. If I were you, I might rotate the sub 22.5 degrees and fill all the old holes and just use new holes for the SS. Then you know you have it all attached right and the only downfall is the non-lined up mounting (if you look at mine you will see it to be off by 22 degress as well since I botched the initial mounting LOL).

Epoxy, silicone, any way you slice it just make sure that hole is patched up good and the remaining screws should keep the driver tight.  If that fix doesn't stop all the leaks, try using some of [this stuff] around the mounting flange of the driver to seal up any weak spots.  You might even consider sealing up all the previous screw holes, rotating the driver, and drilling new ones.. that or build a new box  :ph34r:

ok thanks

since we're sorta on the topic of neodymium magnets, how come nothing sticks to the magnet on my boston acoustics? they use a neo magnet, but i got curious one day and placed a nail on the magnet and there was no attraction. so...is the magnet is enclosed in some sort of barrier to channel the magnetic field?

i love reading these type of informative threads :bigok:

since we're sorta on the topic of neodymium magnets, how come nothing sticks to the magnet on my boston acoustics? they use a neo magnet, but i got curious one day and placed a nail on the magnet and there was no attraction. so...is the magnet is enclosed in some sort of barrier to channel the magnetic field?

i love reading these type of informative threads  :bigok:

aren't neo magnets internally shielded or something?

Another thought on neo is its loss of magnetism after being exposed to high temps which is part of the reason maching it can be such a bear. Other that the cost a it would seem to be an acceptable idea but then your typical consumer would look at it and say somthing like its got such a small mag it can't be good.

your boston is probably shielded. raw neo's are scary to handle. I'm very gun-shy when holding them around random pieces of large metal. I have got way too many blistered from metal scraps flying at my fingers while holding the neo.

you can put one infront of you and one behind you and the magneetic force will hold them in place.

your boston is prolly shielded.  raw neo's are scary to handle. I'm very gun-shy when holding them around random pieces of large metal. I have got way too many blistered from metal scraps flying at my fingers while holding the neo.

times two...i learned a little about the strength when i weighed the la storms....i was able to pull the ferrite sub right off the scale, no problems. the neo storm i had to literally put my knee on the scale to hold it down as i pulled the sub off. i was completely impressed by the strength.

mike, i guess it's time to email u..lol.....

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

Another thought on neo is its loss of magnetism after being exposed to high temps which is part of the reason maching it can be such a bear. Other that the cost a it would seem to be an acceptable idea but then your typical consumer would look at it and say somthing like its got such a small mag it can't be good.

Any magnet will lose its strength under extreme heat... they have a tricked out oven down at the build house for just that!.. and yes, those neo's are Fu*kin' strong. I remember Thilo putting me to work on one of his prototype ovoid drivers one weekend, using a line of about ten 1" x 1" x 0.25" neo mag's, doubled stacked and I had nothing but sore fingers and frustration trying to get dem b