Sign in to follow this  
thescottishbear

Walled Chevy Malibu 3 18"/ ID horns/ clarion, dayton, mbquart

I just posted a small intro on the new members thread and said I was going to post my build so hear are a bunch of pictures to bring you up to speed. I was out of audio for a long minute until I found a bunch of videos on YT and it got me fired up again. The game had changed a lot since I was into it in the late nineties. Before all this madness began I had an alpine 6.5" comp set and a single 12". It has grown into somewhat of a monster now and it continues to get better...

Here is an outside pic to set this thing off. I am repainting it this summer. Matte black with a rhino lined roof lol

0052.jpg

Old doors

001.jpg

new door build for a single 10"

004-1.jpg

011-3.jpg

Window controls molded into door panel

008-3.jpg

doors, IB for 2 18" and kickanels

006-7.jpg

013-1.jpg

WOW. Gonna be nuts!

Were not there yet so on with the pics...

HU and eq

071.jpg

doors in primer

006-9.jpg

door and kick installed and painted

006-10.jpg

Big 3 shots kicker hyperflex

001-15.jpg

002-15.jpg

wall build

IMG_0368.jpg

IMG_0366.jpg

3/4" mdf was laid over this and was glassed. There is close to 80 oz. of resin in the wall

but wait there's more lol...

Some drivers I have on hand 13 of these are in the car as we speak. The sony buyouts are for a home Line array project I haven't got around too yet.

gfyu023-1.jpg

Image dynamic horns

gfyu026.jpg

gfyu016.jpg

wall done still missing one sub at this point

IMG_0428.jpg

wall finished and looking sexy as hell

11018.jpg

a little power to drive it

11013.jpg

Horns mounted under the dash

11036.jpg

Cleaning up the amps wiring

11049.jpg

They are mounted in the trunk.This is where it stands right now. I just added a rear channel of 6 4" and it really helped the front center image. I have plans to add an 8" to the doors and possibly build a new wall for 6 18" this fall so stay tuned. :)

WOW. Gonna be nuts!

It is getting there and should be pretty crazy if I can ever finish it and do some hardcore tuning.

Are those Dayton Audio 18"s?

Yes sir. They are great little subs. They are on 500 watts a piece and they sound great

Yes sir. They are great little subs. They are on 500 watts a piece and they sound great

Love it. I use Dayton in my home and car. Excellent value.

Love it. I use Dayton in my home and car. Excellent value.

for sure. It's hard to beat 125 bux a sub

Looks good man! I'm also a Dayton audio fan.

I've been following your build elsewhere.. good stuff man!!!

Nice wall. Not ported tho?

Nice wall. Not ported tho?

Not yet. I am going to try making some flared aeroports out of 4" pvc, modeling clay, and mdf for fun. Next week if possible. 4 of them 4.5" long will give me a tuning of around 35 hz according to their website. It would be nice to be in the 150 club. I still want to rebuild the wall this fall for 6 18" but in the meantime this will be a fun little project.

How do those horns sound? Build looks nice, seen it on another forum as well. Good job on the 10" in the door :fing34:

How do those horns sound? Build looks nice, seen it on another forum as well. Good job on the 10" in the door fing34.gif

I love em' they have some nasty peaks in between 1-4k but I think they sound pretty great with just a small amount of eq. They are on 30 watts a piece. I only have like 50 rap tracks and just got introduced to decaf. I listen to a lot of trance, acoustic, rock, and they play that really well. If I can post a vid you can hear them playing. some nickle creek.

and some Dave and Cake

I decided to try my hand at making some homemade aeros. I went to their website and used their calculator. With 4 4.5" pieces of pvc I will get a final tuning of around 35 hz. I don't know how well it will work out but they have been fun to build so far. Here are a few pictures and a video to show how far I got today. I mentioned 3 different lengths in the vid but they are all 4 1/2". The wall is being rebuilt in a couple months anyway so if it doesn't turn out very good no biggie. My biggest worry is group delay.

11200.jpg

I have since sanded the rough edges out that might cause any turbulence.

I thought a normal flair would be a little boring and a little small so I decided to switch it up a bit. I freely admit I am flying by the seat of my pants.

11201.jpg

Here is the secondary piece I put over it. I am going to use some modeling clay and resin and fiberglass to smooth out the transitions.

11202.jpg

A pic of both of them with some finish work need to be done.

11204.jpg

...And the rubble pile. I hate mdf dust. I sneezed like crazy till I took a shower.

11203.jpg

Video. You can see I switched gears half way through in favor of this idea. I could have edited it out but I am all about transparency when it comes to my build.

Enjoyed the vids!! Good to see someone working with some horns, sitting on two sets that I want to do something with. Watching the vid on your port designs I thought about a website I saw a while back. Thought you could give it a look if you havn't seen it, might give you a few ideas.

http://www.subwoofer-builder.com/flares-10mm.htm

Keep us posted on your progress.

I definitely would have tried something like that but alas no router. :( It's on my wish list.

Made a little headway today. I am having a lot of fun building these and may build a pair with square ports too. I cut the final design into the ports and laid some modeling clay into them. They need a ton more work but you can see where I'm headed. I will fiberglass them tomorrow assuming they are dry enough and paint them. Then I can cut the holes in the baffle, adjust the gain and we are ready to rock and roll.

11213.jpg

11214-1.jpg

It kinda makes me want to scrap the 6 18 sealed idea and do 4 with a common port and build something truly wicked. We'll have to see

I put a couple layers of matte and resin on the ports today. I am going to do the same to the back to reinforce them a little more. Once I do that I will sand the bejeezes out of them and hit them with some plastidip (black) I have to be honest; I am a little more than excited. Here is a pic of the glass action. I should have more tomorrow including a demo. Don't know if it will be louder by ear but should definitely move more air.

11-1.jpg

I likes the sealed design better. You don't see sealed walls much anymore. Good work either way. I'm tuned in.

I likes the sealed design better. You don't see sealed walls much anymore. Good work either way. I'm tuned in.

Thx. The car keeps going through different setups. Like 5 in the last two yrs. lol Now I am experimenting with walls. I would like to break 150 with this one before I rebuild it and I was closeish lol outlaw. I should get closer with the ported config. It's not a requirement before I rebuild but it would be nice. When I double the cone area and power I am hoping for 153's. Maybe a 148 or 49 sealed on the dash. Once that happens I am staring on my next project... My brothers 3000gt. That should be a lot easier to get loud :/

I definitely would have tried something like that but alas no router. sad.png It's on my wish list.

No router, that is a limiting factor. I like were you are going with the above pics and design. Looking forward to your thoughts once you get it setup.

Back with a video. I have the ports in and they keep impressing me. Here is a long ass video demoing a couple songs.

They perform better on dance and acoustic music too. Good attack and decay. The car is noticeably louder sealed which is a plus. I can't always drive with windows down. I know the ports are ugly. I could do some finish work on them but if they sounded bad I didn't want to waste the extra time. It was still a fun project. smile.gif