Ok I have a mechamn 220a alt... Gonna use 6 xs d3100s... Was planning on running 2 4/0 runs for alts positives and 2 4/0 runs for the alts negative....well after looking at it I dont know if it will work... I don't have much room on the alts posts... Or much room in the firewall...Would it hurt me just to do 1 run each of 4/0 for the alts neg and pos?

You will be fine. A single run of 1/0 full spec copper will support over 300 amps of current. A single run of 4/0 even CCA on a 220a would be more than sufficient.

Running that much power I would try for at least two power two ground. However this is coming from someone who has never had more than 3k. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

4 runs of 4/0 is pretty excessive IMO Im running 2 runs of positive and 1 run of negative for my 320a alt.

Chart i have here states in open air wiring (not tunneling it through conduit), copper 1/0 can handle up to 290A but at 221F...

That's ridiculous hot...

Car audio wants least voltage drop. Most of us are aware of what a cable can handle.. but the lowest voltage drop is always best.

According to calculator, single 4/0 cable run at 200A (when hot and maxed out) will exhibit a 0.3v drop in the rear. This is only when maxing alternator out...

At that point.. you will be well into the 13.0-13.6v range already.

So, yes, single 4/0 run for each is fine.

Chart i have here states in open air wiring (not tunneling it through conduit), copper 1/0 can handle up to 290A but at 221F...

That's ridiculous hot...

Car audio wants least voltage drop. Most of us are aware of what a cable can handle.. but the lowest voltage drop is always best.

According to calculator, single 4/0 cable run at 200A (when hot and maxed out) will exhibit a 0.3v drop in the rear. This is only when maxing alternator out...

At that point.. you will be well into the 13.0-13.6v range already.

So, yes, single 4/0 run for each is fine.

would you mind posting this chart?

A single 1/0 copper run can support 300 at failure...

Only passes 100 or so under standard duty.

Good rule is 100a per run. In a 350a alt you won't stop seeing DB gains untill the 5th run.

My .02

hmm i know i can make them fit in the firewall... but dont really wanna make custom brackets off the alt to make it work lol...

ill try to make 2 runs of each fit.... if not ill just do 1 run per neg and pos then...

thanks everyone !!