Sign in to follow this  
DEMO

Audio System for GF's Car...Help!

Hey guys,

My girlfriend has a 2007 Nissan Altima and would like to start "renovating" her stock system as it is complete junk...I know a decent amount about audio and have spent several years to get where I am at:

Pioneer 4300DVD

Boston Acoustics S85

Kicker Speaker amp (can't remember exact model)

Audioque 2200D

SSA XCON 15 - Ported Box

Nothing to crazy, but it sounds good...

Now she doesn't have unlimited funds and I suggested she do it in small steps...so far now I think we will stick with doing speakers and a speaker amp...with a budget of $200 maybe $300...super tough budget I know...but she doesn't need the best stuff...just something that is decent. I believe the speakers in her car are 6.5" in front and 6x9 in the rear deck

So...any suggestions on some speakers and an amp?

Edited by DEMO

When you do the enclosure do something to make it "personal" they always like that...

Like this one we did for a guy's a wife a while back.

Don't mind the room lol

IMAG0328.jpg

When you do the enclosure do something to make it "personal" they always like that...

Like this one we did for a guy's a wife a while back.

Don't mind the room lol

IMAG0328.jpg

That's sweet !

Subs will be that last stage...that might be a while...as I said before for now its speakers and an amp

Thanks!

Does Cadence make good quality stuff? 1000 watt 4 channel for 100 dollars seems a little odd haha...I will definitely take that setup into consideration.

What do you guys think of Image Dynamics CTX 6.5 for front and 6x9s in the rear as well as the i4500 4 channel amp?

Also...is it best to hook up speakers with RCA's...that is how mine are done...I have never done my own installs, except for a few things, so I might have my friend do it who has experience

Lastly, any amp kits you guys recommend for the speaker amps, that aren't too pricey

Edited by DEMO

Do you have a stock head unit or a after market?

Do you have a stock head unit or a after market?

Stock...headunit will be next...but that will probably be several months from now

Upgrade the headunit first

Hmm..really? Most people have told me speakers first...but alright....any headunits you recommend for 200-300 bucks?

I will say doing a headunit first might take a while as I think I would prefer to put a nice touch screen deck in her car..mine was $430 which she definitely doesn't have that to spend....so might need to wait a couple more months before we even get into audio if we go with head unit first...the AVH-P4400 from Pioneer would be around $450 after dash kit, bypass, and iPod cable

Edited by DEMO

Dang you beat me to that suggestion!

Pioneer

Alright well I will have to talk to her see if she wants to do a singled in or doubled in...her car is weird its like the new cars where it looks like everything is integrated so I don't know if it would be a complete PITA to do a deck or not...I will look this afternoon

Cadence is good for the money, was working with your budget...

The ID speakers I would recommend...

If you are wanting to keep on a low budget with an easy install, I would get an Alpine and then get the power pack ktp-445. Use that with a decent set of mids/highs and she should be very happy with overall sound and output.

For mids and highs there is a huge list of possible companies you can go through. For this case just about any will do the trick to be honest.

If you are wanting to keep on a low budget with an easy install, I would get an Alpine and then get the power pack ktp-445. Use that with a decent set of mids/highs and she should be very happy with overall sound and output.

For mids and highs there is a huge list of possible companies you can go through. For this case just about any will do the trick to be honest.

That power pack is a waste in my opinion. You can get a nice 2 channel for about the same cost.

Just buy one used, I would never suggest buying one new. We have several at the shop that we have procured from others over the years. They work great for simple setups and leave little to be wanted for. I have yet to install one and have the owner come back with an issue or a wish to upgrade that part of the installation.

Do you actually have experience with that unit or just making comments because of the MSRP price?

If the OP wants to go the direction of adding wires/amps to the car then there are endless options and yet again not a single one would be wrong, given the situation and goal.

For a cheap 4 channel I actually favor the JBL GTO amps. Or you could even got with a 5 channel amplifier and just be ready for the sub stage when she is ready. Memphis Belle amps are nice for that as well some older amps like the Autotek SX5750(one of my favorites for GF/Wife systems) or even some Soundstreams like the VGA 800.5.

Edited by pro-rabbit

Just buy one used, I would never suggest buying one new. We have several at the shop that we have procured from others over the years. They work great for simple setups and leave little to be wanted for. I have yet to install one and have the owner come back with an issue or a wish to upgrade that part of the installation.

Do you actually have experience with that unit or just making comments because of the MSRP price?

Basing my opinion on the cost. Sure if you can find one cheap go for it, but at 100+ no way.

Basing my opinion on the cost. Sure if you can find one cheap go for it, but at 100+ no way.

I can agree with that. $100 is far to much for that unit. We normally sell $150 used units for $200 and add it with them. Seems to work out great when people want more then what their budget allows for, or they just want something amazingly simple.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I am looking at probably a Pioneer doubled in, maybe Alpine or Kenwood too...like I said though it may be a few months till we actually begin the audio stuff...just was wanting some good feedback for a deck and speakers...as far as speakers and amp I may go with what StreetLegal recommended or maybe the ID CTX speakers and i4500 amp - that is when we get to this stage after we buy the headunit

After you get the unit installed and let the GF play around with it a bit, she should be able to give you some feedback on what she thinks and you can upgrade from there. That is how I started my wife out years ago...no she typically has over 3-4k rms total in her cars haha....its a hard bug to shake if she gets bit by it.

Thanks for all the responses guys, I am looking at probably a Pioneer doubled in, maybe Alpine or Kenwood too...like I said though it may be a few months till we actually begin the audio stuff...just was wanting some good feedback for a deck and speakers...as far as speakers and amp I may go with what StreetLegal recommended or maybe the ID CTX speakers and i4500 amp - that is when we get to this stage after we buy the headunit

The CTX's are a great set. I haven't heard the IA's so I can't comment on them.

Thanks guys...I will come back on here when the time comes to get a deck