REVpuggie

Looking for a broad band tweeter or broadband to be used above 1Khz

Hey guys ,

So , I bwew up one of my tweeters (playing with my x overs while at high volume , I know its stupid!)

and since I'm changing I want to adress a annoying door-resonance I've got @ 2,5khz ,

I've had a peerless 830987 3inch fullrange paired with a 7inch before and I liked it , but I want better/more highs

system consists of an Alpine 117r1 along with the h100 processor , an Becker energy400 4x100Wrms amp , AA havoc carbons mounted in the doors and in the back an AA SMD 18d2, 6.2cuft tuned to 27hz at the moment but tuning will change in near future.

I've narrowed it down to :

tweeters-

I can get a pair of Hybrids L1pro pretty cheap

I know of a pair of Pioneer TS-S01RSII I might be able to get (but don't yet know what he wants for them)

broadband -

Markaudio allpair5 or chr70 gen3 silver ... like the allpair5 better but have concerns with powerhandling (on both for that matter)

or what else could be recommeded in the 2 to 3inch .... they'll be crossed @ 1khz or higher due to processing and enclosure limitations .

any thoughts or ideas ?

I like the idea of a broad-band speaker much better than a tweeter and I would also love to see it crossed lower.

As far as I know the crossover should allow you to drop lower than 1kHz, at least on my Alpine it does and on the 9887 it does.

What didn't you like about the highs on the Peerless and how were they mounted? How are you planning on mounting the full ranges if you get them this time?

Sean , Mids were about 4 inches below earhight and on axis ... worked in that car , this car however has airbags in the A pilars , that liked in that setup was that te crossing of the 3inch and the 7 inch was made seamless very easy .... what I missed in that setup was the real highs so above 10Khz there was just not enough , also the interference of low tones on highs were not pleasant I sometimes just lost a buch of information because the passage in a song was to difficult for the driver , lost most of it crossing a bit higher but never completely got rid of it on high volume ...

full rangers or tweeters will be mounted in the rearviewmirror-corners (or whatever you call that place) and on axis or aligned to in be so a tad lower but also a bit wider than lasttime , I'd asume it would give me a bit wider podium

How did you determine it was 10k up? Just asking because 9 out of 10 times what frequencies are thought to be what they are, aren't. Okay, probably more than 9. Once determined curious if you did anything to try to resolve it?

Also, are you saying 2-3" instead of a tweeter or with? Until now I thought in addition, but re-reading I am wondering.

Yes ,

This setup I'm looking for eighter a tweeter that can be crossed low 1 to 1.8 khz or a full range 2 to 3 inch that performs exepionally wel in the high range and be crossed at 1Khz .

thought te ODR/RSII series tweeter that I possibly can get second hand would've been favoured but up till now no reaction on those ....

Well the HAT drivers are a complete rip off so run like hell there.

If you go 2" you'll probably need a couple of them in a vertical array. 3" has to be on axis. I think you probably could have brightened up the top end on your last install by either cutting the lower freq's and gaining up or at least tapering out the issues. That Peerless has an agressive peak in the response which gives the artificial perception of loudness in the wrong location and needs to be addressed with a notch filter. It would have made tuning it much easier.

Having a processor with things like shelf filters and ultra flexibility on equalization could be a huge boon to the installation if you are going to run a full range. It can be pulled off with less, but I have to say I'm now addicted to the flexibility a fully programmable digital solution can offer.

a more extensive processor is something for the future ... although I can put 5 parametric filters anywhere I want now too ,which should be enough to get it more than decent , I'm using the graphic right now

for now I want to keep what my tweeters brought me but need to be able to cross them lower ...before the tweeter blew up , podium was on the dash (most of the time).. it was wide enough for my taste ...high end was pleasant , the resonances from the door were EQed out fairly good , but I want more and that with less EQing ... so more work on the doors and different tweeters or full rangers

would any of those choices be worth buying ?or maybe a ring-radiator with a low Fs or a pair of B&G neo3 ?

Where were your 3s located before?

previous car , You should be able to see the pods on the dash :

1356664452_5_6i2G.jpeg

this car :

Foto-YIRM6GRR-D.jpg

tweeter or full-range will be about 6 inches above where te tweeter is now (I know its not finished)

Pods look super off axis in the picture which would explain things. If that is a visual that is wrong then you are one that may want a tweeter.

maybe the right one was not 100% on axis ..still should"t have mattered much it was less than 15degrees of ...I still feel those fullranges were better in the mid than the highs , thats why I picked them in the first place ...

now dont get me wrong those drivers sounded good ...several people copied my frontsetup I had back then , I just want more

still could use some recomendatitions for low crossable drivers that fullfill the specs I outlined

The problem is nothing does....and those look more than 15 degrees which alone could make a significant difference on the top end. Installation is everything and you wanted more, just trying to quantify to make sure that I lead you the right way.

thanx for following my topic Sean and bearing with me , I appriciate the fact that that installation is everything and have whitenessed it dozens of times .......Its just that I need more work on my doors and wanted to find a shortcut , so that I didn't need to get all the resonances out of my doors... there is quite some work in them but I'm not sattisfied untill far less EQing is needed as is ... oh well I'll keep on building ...

Wish I could help more :) It's hard to swallow how important the install is. This is drastically magnified once a full ranger is involved. There are plenty of options though that change the compromises. When you are ready to tackle the installation side and have some more details holler and I'll be glad to give you my input.

Someday I might even visit. I'm in Schipol about 8 times a year. :P

thats still 240 kilometers from me , you in the militaty ? Geilenkirchen Awacs base is 5 kilometers from me and the Brunssum AFNORTH headquartes is too

Not in the military, just happen to live in Minneapolis which means my portal to Europe is in your "backyard".

As long as you come announced you're always welcome !

that leaves me whith a dead tweeter to be replaced ...and no immidiate clue on what to replace it with ...

Anything used nearby? In particular in large format?

looked around a bit , Ebay , forums .... only interesting thing I could find is a set op B&G neo3 pdr's that i secretly have wanted to try for some time now but at the price they were advertised I'd rather buy a new pair.. just not sure if they will work in a car

They can work, but have similar constraints to what you already had. Figured there'd be a used set of HDS's or something near you.

I could buy a new pair of Peerless HDS104DT-26 that were tested so well by Zaph-audio , but the Vifa XT25BG60/04 and the HD275-D2 would seem to be very good choices also from what I can see in a quick glance

I asked about used as you could try something for a while and then transition. Gives you a now solution without much of a financial risk.

Not sure what the HD275-D2 is...but between the HDS and the XT25 I am a lot more impressed with the HDS. Both are great tweeters, but personally I like the XT19 better than the 25. It doesn't play as low, but it's way better off axis and a lot easier to integrate as long as your mid can play higher. For flexibility it loses in car.

I am surprised with your location that there aren't more drivers for sale. Figured with the proximity to the Seas/Scan plants that there would be some used choices not terrible far from you.

I'm in a small country though ... legally its still a bit tricky to purchase abroad inside of europe , if anything went wrong a claim would be difficult ,germans and scandinavians I'd not have that much trouble with ,for the large part of other europeans : I trust them as far as I can throw them . plus its really expensive sending packages abroad .

I did find some very cool, really exotic and very rare stuff , just not tweeters, maybe my timing is just wrong .