Sign in to follow this  
smagistro

Slot port box for xcon help

I am looking to do 1.5 ft3 with a slot port. I am thinking 20x14.25x12.5 with a .5 wide port by 9.8 inch. For the slot is it as easy as it seems just make 13.75 x 9.8 and keep it a half inch off the side wall?

That's NOWHERE NEAR enough port area. You've got the right idea on how to build it but some serious work needs done on the numbers you're looking at there. What frequency is that tuning supposed to be at with those port dimensions? Are you restricted by space, is that the reason why you made the port so small?

I used the 12 volt calculator and that said it would be tuned to 32hz. I am looking to try and get 1.5 at 32hz with the box as small as possible.

I can appreciate that, but in order for a ported enclosure to work properly it will have to be sized and appropriately spec'd out.

Let's start here, what are your maximum dimensions? What is the orientation you want, sub up port facing rear, sub and port rear, sub up port up?

Got the 1.5cuft and 32hz tuning, with the max dimensions we can hopefully get you a better design.

EDIT: Also what sub are you using in this enclosure? We'll need to know what it's displacement is as well to tune it properly.

10" xcon with cadence a7hc at 1ohm.

I would prefer to keep the depth around 10-12 inches but shallower the better height and length I am not to concerned with.

Thanks for the help.

How's this for an enclosure for you. 1.5cuft NET with 32hz tuning 30"w x 16"h x 11.25"d with 21.75sqin of port area (1.5" x 14.5") should net you better results than the one that the 12volt calculator made out for you.

If those dimensions will work for you, I'll post up a cut sheet for you as well.

If this doesn't come out clear enough let me know, I'll email you a PDF.

smagistrocutsheet.jpg

It's in the ballpark of where you need to be anyway. Others may and will have some other ideas, or maybe even a better design, but at least we're getting you headed in the right direction.

It's in the ballpark of where you need to be anyway. Others may and will have some other ideas, or maybe even a better design, but at least we're getting you headed in the right direction.

such a good guy alton....

Yes indeed. I will get most of this built tonight and put up some pictures. What do you guys reccomend for the seams? Silicon smells a little was thinking maybe glue or something that would not smell as much.

The smell from silicone should disappear as soon as it cures, or at least the worst of it. Glue has a tendency to shrink when applied like that and crack, which doesn't do much to help seal any seams, especially if there's a gap. Other people use fiberglass resin and things of that type, but the smell from them is even worse than the silicone.

It's not much help, but that's my general findings. Silicone is just hard to beat for the job.

Silicone works great. Nice job Alton at saving him from making a box that whistles with the bass.

Thanks. Not only did it save him from a whistling port, but the tuning should be correct as the dims I gave him account for sub and port displacement as well which I doubt the calculator at 21volt does.

Well got a good start on this today. The saw binded on me so i dont have the top until tomorrow when i pick up one more sheet and cut it. But here is the rest with the layout for the sub cutout. I put the sub right in the middle i hope this is right if not please let me know where to move it to.

photo1bgk.jpg

photobyd.jpg

In the center should be just fine. Things are looking pretty good. Looking forward to hearing what u think when it's done.

Should be all installed by friday so i will post a video of it when its done. Hope its loud and sounds good. Thanks for everything Alton.

You're welcome man, that's why we're on here.

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it. I'm a proud owner of a 10" XCON as well, though I'm still working on getting things done and getting it installed. I'm going to be using passive radiator's with mine rather than a standard ported enclosure. I'm excited to hear what you think of yours, I know I want to hear mine really badly!

Well i got everything set up today and let me tell you this sub can hit. This thing is loud and sounds really good. There is a little port noise but i will have to deal with it for now. 1400 watts is not enough for this little guy. I am debating take it up to 2000. I may be looking around for someone to build me a box to so it is carpeted and all with no port noise. Possibly? aero