frogcase2002

ssa gcons

probley about to do 6 12" gcons and wondering if i should go with a ported wall or bandpass wall, wanting it to sound really good with music not just trying to get high numbers, going to be on 5 to 6000 watts, somewhere around there

Maybe

maybe what?

I say bandpass if you are willing to use up the extra space and play around with it. BP's can be ridiculous. I had a 4th order running an obsidian 12 and the low end was just as good as the Fi Q 18" that I was running before it

4th order bandpasses rarely make sense ever and for your application not at all.

I say bandpass if you are willing to use up the extra space and play around with it. BP's can be ridiculous. I had a 4th order running an obsidian 12 and the low end was just as good as the Fi Q 18" that I was running before it

If that was the case, you seriously had a crap box for the Fi Q, sacrificed a ton of FR, or have a strange definition of "low end"

I love when I see posts about people wanting several drivers running on several kilowatts and being concerned about sounding good..

No.

I love when I see posts about people wanting several drivers running on several kilowatts and being concerned about sounding good..

No.

what do you mean, i have heard 5,000 watts plus sound good and not sound that good, but have never heard any really high end systems in a bandpass in person

Just do a regular 4th order ported box.

sounds good is subjectively relative.

Seems like nobody realizes this.

Of course, which is why it is a terrible descriptor to be used in a thread. If your deaf, what I like and you won't be the same.

Case in point:

i have heard 5,000 watts plus sound good

No you haven't. Not when it was truly outputting 5,000w+ watts. That will NEVER sound good. Loud, sure. Clear, perhaps. Good, not possible.

but have never heard any really high end systems in a bandpass in person

I should repost as well as clarify. There are more than one type of bandpass, I am assuming you mean 4th order. If so, that isn't the goal of the enclosure. Very simply they are designed to provide a mechanical (instead of electrical) pass band that only allows certain frequencies to pass. The convenient and inconvenient part is that all the sound comes out the port. The reason this is convenient is that you can fire something from say a trunk into a car with no losses. The inconvenient reasons I don't need to post. As for sounding good, no matter what the pass band on a 4thBP will be narrower than a standard ported alignment and unless you make it really narrow you gain no output. You can't have both. Pick output or a wider band. This makes them very difficult to "sound good" when the good encompasses blending with a front stage. If it's a one note wonder you are looking for it can be done. As for building one into a wall it's absolutely stupid.

4th order bandpasses rarely make sense ever and for your application not at all.

If that was the case, you seriously had a crap box for the Fi Q, sacrificed a ton of FR, or have a strange definition of "low end"

Q was in a 6.5 cube box tuned to 32 with around 80 in^2 of port. OA-12 was in a 2:1 box with 1 cube sealed and 2 cubes ported tuned to 40hz with an 8" sonotube. And by low end I mean 28-33hz. The Q did better on anything below 28hz and was louder at around 37hz+

Edit: both had a frequency range of about mid 20's to 50hz

Edited by Kangaroux

Q was in a 6.5 cube box tuned to 32 with around 80 in^2 of port. OA-12 was in a 2:1 box with 1 cube sealed and 2 cubes ported tuned to 40hz with an 8" sonotube. And by low end I mean 28-33hz. The Q did better on anything below 28hz and was louder at around 37hz+

So you were impressed by a 5Hz pass band??? ROFL. Yay fartbox!!

And you should realize you could have designed your ported box to have a peak to beat it as well. Of course, the rest of those pushing 4th order BP won't.

And you should realize you could have designed your ported box to have a peak to beat it as well. Of course, the rest of the morons pushing 4th order BP won't.

Please don't turn this into some pissing contest, I was just giving my opinion/experiences.

Seems like nobody realizes this.

I'm pretty sure most people realize this, however, you are not concerned about the quality of sound if you have multiple woofers with thousands of watts in a vehicle. Bass becomes dominant and overbearing, unless you turn it down, but if that was what one was going to do, the multiple woofers and kilowatts wouldn't be there in the first place.

If you can fit a ported wall, stick with a standard wall design. For an install where being clear is a priority, I have never liked bandpass.

And you should realize you could have designed your ported box to have a peak to beat it as well. Of course, the rest of the morons pushing 4th order BP won't.

Please don't turn this into some pissing contest, I was just giving my opinion/experiences.

No pissing contest, I was clarifying as your original statement was misleading to the OP. You stated it was better on the bottom end, but didn't do a fair comparison in building a ported box to have the same "bottom end" as the BP box. Had you (and even used the same driver) the results would have been as good or better. It really isn't fair to compare and apple to an orange and declare a winner, my goal was only to make sure the OP understood that. Hopefully this helped you as well. :)

thanks for all the imput, i think im going to go with a ported wall,,, and what i ment by sound good is being really clean bass (cant really explain) on music and not just like a burp box,, its going to be a slow process but i will be starting a build log soon