Sign in to follow this  
theo111

trouble amplifying speakers; speakers won't play

I just bought a brand new sound ordnance 4 channel amp and am still waiting for a new set of speakers for my car. in the meantime I decided to test out a pair of some old alpine type r 6.5s I pulled out of my old car. they don't fit so I put them in a hasty cardboard box to put in the backseat. after installing the amp and hooking up the speakers as rears with the rcas and unplugging my rear stock speakers the alpine hooked up to the amp weren't playing at all. I remember these speakers were working perfectly before and have just been sitting in my house since. I made sure everything was wired properly, the amp turns on, protection light doesn't go on or anything and I just can't see where I went wrong. anyone have any ideas what it could be?

It is one of three things....bad wiring, the speakers are dead, or the amp is dead. Start by testing another speaker that you have sitting around.

this usually can be a very easy fix, or very long and time consuming fix. The best thing to do is to begin troubleshooting. In what order is up to you. You can try to find some way to bypass the amp, to see if the speakers work. Then, go from there. Sounds like the amp works, so, you can try to bypass the routing of the wires, and just connect right there. See what you find. Also, check speaker impedence.

the rcas are brand new and I checked That they're plugged in right, I can try to hook up the speakers to the stock wiring and see if they run off the deck I guess. I also saw something in the manual for my deck saying "do not connect anything to the speakers leads if not connected to a speaker". does this mean I need to cut the wires for the rear speakers from the back of the deck even though I unplugged the rears already?

alright so the speakers do work.. how could I find out if Its the amp itself or my wiring?

alright so the speakers do work.. how could I find out if Its the amp itself or my wiring?

Hook a dmm to the speaker output and set it to acvolts and see if you get a reading. No speakers hooked up. The reading should be jumping around unless you can play a tone.

so I looked at the fuse on the power wore cause I noticed the amp stopped turning on even and it wasnt connected anymore. after fixing it and tightening up the remote turn on and rewiring the speakers to the amp they started working