Patrick Danesky

Newbie Question: Porting Rear Deck

I am working on an intrepid. I am building a new box from the ground up to compliment the rear deck that i am fabricating with fiber. I would like to build a box to be able to port up through the deck and blow into the car. I will be using 2 12" ICONS. I have never designed a complex box before, so this is what I ask. What would be the best way to fire the subs, what should i do with the inside of this box, and HOW should i fire it up into the car? Any help would be appreciated, keep in mind that I am a box newbie.

Patrick

what kind of car? what are you trying to accomplish?

Do your back seats fold down?

I am working on an intrepid.

But we do need more info to properly assist you.

Back seats fold down, i do not want them folded though. I would like these subs sounding at their best for sound quality. i am sawing out all the metal in the rear deck to build my fiber deck that will house my mids and highs, a total of 8 speakers. I am just wondering how big and how i should attach the port in this deck to a box... or how i should get the box to work with my deck

Back seats fold down, i do not want them folded though. I would like these subs sounding at their best for sound quality. i am sawing out all the metal in the rear deck to build my fiber deck that will house my mids and highs, a total of 8 speakers. I am just wondering how big and how i should attach the port in this deck to a box... or how i should get the box to work with my deck

Wouldn't do that unless u are adding some steel tubing somewhere. The rear deck keeps the strut towers from falling inward.

Thats fine... thanks for the info. . What would you do about the box situation? does it matter how i mount the subs to fire the port upwards through the deck?

what are your goals with this stereo and do you plany to compete

Other than you mounting limitations your goals are trivial. Whether it is SPL or SQ porting through the rear deck with subs firing forward will work well if installed properly.

I did this with a single Sundown Z.3 18" and an 8" aero port. Depending on your enclosure size and subwoofer(s) used it can sound very good. I designed this particular enclosure for low group delay and flat response. It sounded very good. IIRC I had it metered and it reached 142.87db at 30hz at the head rest. Not too bad considering it wasn't an SPL build and it was relatively low power.

SCREEN-3913.jpg

SCREEN-3919.jpg

SCREEN-3950.jpg

To maximize the enclosure volume I mounted the driver with the magnet out. I removed the center arm rest and there was no difference with seats down or seats up.

SCREEN-3924.jpg

SCREEN-3925.jpg

How did you get that cylindrical port coming down from the middle is that wood? I was going to make a square one.... do i need to put up any walls inside the box for better performance?

do i need to put up any walls inside the box for better performance?

If you mean bracing then yes I would suggest that you do.

Unless there is some sort of pass between the trunk and the cabin, like with the seats folded down or at least an armrest pass like the one pictured above, I don't suggest porting through the rear deck unless it's a bandpass.

How did you get that cylindrical port coming down from the middle is that wood? I was going to make a square one.... do i need to put up any walls inside the box for better performance?

I built the enclosure in side th trunk. I slid the port up through the holes I already cut and glued and bolted it in place. There isn't a formula to figure out bracing. From my experience under 2^3ft does not need bracing.