ss454

1996 Impala SS build

Here are some pics of the '96 Impala SS I've been working on in my spare time for the past couple of weeks. It's nearing completion and I want to see what you guys think. I'm not up to using fiberglass just yet but I think my next install might be a testing ground.

Anyway...on to the gear!

Alpine CDA-9835

Orion 8004

RE 12.1 LE (the black one!!!!)

RE HC 15 (1)

Orion P6.2 (2 sets)

#1 wire fused at 250A then distributed via #4 to each amp fused with 80A fuse 4" away. All component crossovers are behind the amps in the amp rack along with the fuses and distribution block. Each amp is grounded to the floor of the car with their own wire. #1 for the RE and #4 for the Orion. The box is 3.55 cubes after all displacement with 42sqin of port tuned at 33hz. This setup get LOW! The box is going to be puttied over on all the seams and screw holes and will be painted with black fleckstone. It should look very smooth when done. The orions sound perfect and with the crossovers on the Alpine I've set the fronts up at 18 db/octave and they are tight.

ON TO THE PICTURES!

Levysinstall11.jpgLevysinstall12.jpg

Levysinstall13.jpgLevysinstall10.jpg

Levysinstall9.jpgLevysinstall8.jpg

Levysinstall7.jpgLevysinstall6.jpg

Levysinstall5.jpgLevysinstall4.jpgLevysinstall3.jpgLevysinstall2.jpg

Levysinstall1.jpg

Edited by ss454

DO you mean 35.1?? I thought the 12.1 was finless?

HEy neal good to see you back, I like the install

Yeah it's a 35.1. Sorry I fixed that in another thread but forgot to when I copy/pasted.

I don't have pics of the car. It's a black Jon Moss signature SS. Not much to see on the outside...just a black LT1 SS.

Edited by ss454

i really like the amps on either side of the box..looks really cool that way!

nice job mang!

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :slayer:

looks great, like the triangle ports. are you going to cover/paint it?

Yeah I'm going to smooth the box with putty and sand it smooth. It won't have any seams or screw holes. Then I'm going to prime it black and then paint it with textured fleckstone paint. I might even put a gloss enamel on it (at the owners request)

I was going to mount the amps on the sides in the fender wells but this idea hit me when I started taking measurements and realised they would fit prefectly beside the box. I was worried about doing the triangular ports because of noise but I have to say for some reason they don't have any port noise at all...I'm really shocked and happy it turned out so well. I wish I had pics of me installing the P6.2s in the doors and back deck. Actually I'll get pics of the back deck install tonight but I'm not taking the doors off again unless I have to. They are on a 3/4 MDF plate and the tweets are flushmounted into the doors above the mids.

Should look awesome when it's done.

Nice work, nice car :)

I wish this car was mine! It sounds so good now. I'm not on the level with some of you guys but I do my best to not half ass anything I do so you can rest assured all my joints fit tight as hell and all my wires are routed correctly and tied.

I ran all the speaker wire on the driver side, all the RCAs down the center and the power wire and remote wire down the passenger side. This guy never knew what it took to install some gear so he came over for a couple of days and "helped" It was fun and he leared a lot I think.

Yeah I'm going to smooth the box with putty and sand it smooth.  It won't have any seams or screw holes.  Then I'm going to prime it black and then paint it with textured fleckstone paint.  I might even put a gloss enamel on it (at the owners request)

I was going to mount the amps on the sides in the fender wells but this idea hit me when I started taking measurements and realised they would fit prefectly beside the box.  I was worried about doing the triangular ports because of noise but I have to say for some reason they don't have any port noise at all...I'm really shocked and happy it turned out so well.  I wish I had pics of me installing the P6.2s in the doors and back deck.  Actually I'll get pics of the back deck install tonight but I'm not taking the doors off again unless I have to.  They are on a 3/4 MDF plate and the tweets are flushmounted into the doors above the mids.

That is going to be sweet! You will have to post finished pics.

As for the triangles, they aren't as easy as slot ports but depending on how you run them in the enclosure are really awesome bracing, plus it looks as if you have enough surface area which is why there is no huffing noises! Great job so far.

Thats 42sq" of port and they worked out great as bracing too! I think one reason they work so well is the way the box jumps up behind the speaker like a ramp. The ports go all the way back to the top shelf so the air accumulates there and makes a circle then hits the ports. The sub really doesn't move much at all to get extremely loud and since it doesn't move much the ports really don't blow a lot of air anyway. We even tried a db Drag and USAC bass cd with sweeps and the sub never really looked like it was working and it was killing the car. Maybe I'll get this thing on a meter and see what she does. The guy came and picked it up today because I'm not going to be able to finish the box until this weekend and his dad came over to ask about putting an 8 in his car. Then when he went to college 3 of his friends want me to look at their rides and give them quotes on doing something for them. I'm really proud of myself because I learned a lot what I know from you guys here and at Termpro. I just want to say thank you to all you guys here that put in serious hours doing this and don't mind sharing with others.