Sign in to follow this  
trilje

Setting gains for my SA12da

Watsup fellas, so I got a new Sundown SA12D4 after I blew my other one and I got some questions in regards to setting gains to prevent this from happening again. So my setup consist of a single sundown SA12d4 in a ported box 1.75 cubes tuned at 35hz, wired at 2ohm to an Alpine MRX-M110 (rated 1100rms @ 2ohms), and Kinetic HC2000 w/ knuconceptz 4g kit. So i set my gains with a DMM using the equation squareroot(rms×ohm impedance). Since my amp is more powerful I downgained and used the rms rating for the sub instead of the amp in the equation which gave me squareroot(600×2ohm)=34.64voltage. What I'am wondering is if id be able to raise the gain past that to perhaps squareroot(1100×2ohm)=46.90voltage since that would still be considered "clean power" (correct me if im wrong pleAse) after some time of breaking, maybe raise it slowly till I reach that voltage safely? Thanks for the help I tried to be as clear as possible kinda new at this.

btw Im using a 50hz tone I downloaded from ROE when doing this

Nothing you did will help you in any way.

Setting a gain at a fixed frequency only works at that frequency, with that test tone, on that CD, at that battery voltage, at that exact settings of everything in your chain.  If you change anything, which you already have, everything is null and void.

You simply cannot set gain to prevent driver damage under any circumstances whatsoever.  You need to use your senses to tell you if you are damaging anything...

I've never used anything but my ears to set gains, unless I was gain matching amps, but that's an all together different scenario.  

Like 95Honda said, using a DMM to set the gains is arbitrary at best.  Depending on the recording level of the tone as well, all those variables change every time you go to set the gain, and once you're playing music it's completely useless.  

The best thing to do is get out music that you're VERY familiar with, preferably a real recording not digital music.  Turn up the volume to the highest listening level the rest of the speakers can handle without distortion and stress.  Now turn up the gains slowly while listening for distortion and stress from the sub and smelling for any overheating.  Do this carefully, listening closely and making adjustments as you go through a few songs.  At this point it will be set pretty close and you have to remember the recording levels, bass levels and types all vary from song to song making it important to have your ear tuned in to what everything is doing at all times.

Well rite now it sounds good no distortion or the smelly subs either...Gain is up about 1/4 or maybe less but I feel like it can take a little more thats why I ask. Now when I was setting the gain with the dmm I also checked the voltage with music the has some pretty mean bass and it wasnt going past that 34.64v level on the meter to be safe....but wat ur saying is that its pointless? Thanks

Sign in to follow this