Sign in to follow this  
Dexter Chaos

Electrical what to buy??

So we finally got some decent weather and have started with my install. I had
ordered some knuconcepts 1/0 gauge and it arrived it mail today.

I had installed all the sound deadener I had which wasn't enough. I
decided to make the positive run with my wire that just so happen to arrive. I
was able to complete run so it’s ready for next step. Now I am looking at the
rest of my electrical and what I will need. I have 2 XS D3400 on their way. One
of which I am thinking of using as my main car battery. (This was the battery
recommended off of XS website for my vehicle.) the second will be for my audio
system. I want to ensure I use the correct fusing for this install.

I believe I need 2-300 amp fuses before each positive connection of the batteries
within 12 inches of post. Is this correct?

I have two Crescendo BC2000D amplifiers I was planning on installing. These units
do not have fuses on them. What is the fuse size recommended to run in the
positive power wire running to amp? How do you calculate this?

Should I run a single positive lead on the rear battery to a distribution block and
then go to amps?   Fuse before T and/or after T?

Should I just make two separate leads from rear battery to amplifier with
inline fuses?

Also I was getting ready to start with my big 3 upgrade. When I looked at the power
connection I have a positive connection point which is separate from battery.
Also I have to remove bumper to get to front battery, yes it sucks. Do I need
to upgrade wire to that location? Then replace the wire that comes off this
unit? Haven't really investigated yet kids waked up from nap. I will include
picture of connection point.

I had a shop install my current system in January and this is how they connected
the 4 gauge. Is this recommended or just convenient for the installer?

positivebatteryconnecitonpoint_zps28666c

See my answers in italics.

I believe I need 2-300 amp fuses before each positive connection of the batteries

within 12 inches of post. Is this correct?

You only need as much fusing as your system will pull plus a little extra as a buffer for peak current draws. So just figure out what all your stuff will draw including highs amps and any other things you've added then fuse accordingly. 

I have two Crescendo BC2000D amplifiers I was planning on installing. These units
do not have fuses on them. What is the fuse size recommended to run in the
positive power wire running to amp? How do you calculate this?

I imagine it should have something in the manual as far as recommended fuse size for the amp. 

Should I run a single positive lead on the rear battery to a distribution block and
then go to amps?   Fuse before T and/or after T?

I would run 2 runs of 1/0 from the front battery to the rear battery with those 2 big amps. Then run from the rear battery direct to the amps with individual runs of 1/0 with the size fuse those amps call for. You could also run a pair of 1/0 to a large fused distribution block, then run from that to each amp. It just depends on what you want to do, either would work. I put fuses on each end of the main power wire when adding a rear battery, some people don't but if the wire shorts out and you only fuse the front then only that one will blow. The rear battery will still be dead shorted to ground.

Should I just make two separate leads from rear battery to amplifier with
inline fuses?

See answer above. 

Also I was getting ready to start with my big 3 upgrade. When I looked at the power
connection I have a positive connection point which is separate from battery.
Also I have to remove bumper to get to front battery, yes it sucks. Do I need
to upgrade wire to that location? Then replace the wire that comes off this
unit? Haven't really investigated yet kids waked up from nap. I will include
picture of connection point.

That certainly does suck. You want the main power wires (the ones going to the rear battery and the big 3 upgrade wires) connected directly to the battery. You can leave the other stuff stock, just make sure you fuse the positive wire from the alternator to the battery as close to the battery as you can. 

I had a shop install my current system in January and this is how they connected
the 4 gauge. Is this recommended or just convenient for the installer?

Just saved them time, you ideally want it connected directly to the battery. 

On a side note, you calculate your fusing by using Ohm's Law. The formula is simple: Total rms Wattage/ Idle Voltage = Fuse size.

Maybe this will help me get at answer? The only amp I have had in the past 10 years I bought in January. Had someone install everything including the wiring and fuse. Now I want to upgrade system and I wanted to do it myself. So I cannot find a crescendo manual to read. I bought my amps off this web site and they did not include a manual. I cannot locate a manual online either. Sorry but I feel like I have to pull teeth on this web site sometimes for answers. I have been reading alot of  things on this site and have found alot, I mean alot, of useful information and helped me with my purchases. I guess I am unable to ask the correct question to get answers.

Can someone please help.

Just get something like 150-200A, if that blows, get even bigger one.

Maybe this will help me get at answer? The only amp I have had in the past 10 years I bought in January. Had someone install everything including the wiring and fuse. Now I want to upgrade system and I wanted to do it myself. So I cannot find a crescendo manual to read. I bought my amps off this web site and they did not include a manual. I cannot locate a manual online either. Sorry but I feel like I have to pull teeth on this web site sometimes for answers. I have been reading alot of  things on this site and have found alot, I mean alot, of useful information and helped me with my purchases. I guess I am unable to ask the correct question to get answers.

Can someone please help.

2000 watts / 13.8 volts = 144 amps. 

So I'd go with a 175 amp fuse on each amp, some people claim they are under rated so if they do make a bit more than rated it leaves some head room. 

The fuse is for the wire, not the electronics, size accordingly.

Just make sure you didn't by CCA.  If you did, upgrade to copper before you install anything...

The fuse is for the wire, not the electronics, size accordingly.

Just make sure you didn't by CCA.  If you did, upgrade to copper before you install anything...

KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0  is the wire I purchased. From what I read this is not the CCA wire they sell. It is called something else. Am I correct with this information.

That Kolossus Flex is OFC, so it's the good stuff. (OFC = Oxygen Free Copper)

CCA is copper coated aluminum, which isn't as good as OFC. 

Edited by Polish

That Kolossus Flex is OFC, so it's the good stuff. (OFC = Oxygen Free Copper)

CCA is copper coated aluminum, which isn't as good as OFC. 

Thanks this is what I thought but after 95honda posted that I needed the clarification.

fusing and wire to order and then start on enclosure.