Sign in to follow this  
SacredTanakh

Box for 4 Dcon 15s

I was thinking of buying a 18in or two, or maybe even a 21in DP.

But in all reality I probably should just build on what I have.

So I was thinking another 2 Dcons.

I'm not sure how much louder it would be, or if it'd be worth it to try.

I saw Hairyunicorns 6 Dcons, and yeah they looked like they looked like they did decent, but I think his issue was the box. A bit small.

I have lots of room for these Dcons, and don't care about cargo space so...

I was trying to design a box that would give the Dcons all the space they need, without losing my backseats.

But if I have to... that is an option..

The space I have to work with without taking out the back seat:

35" high

51" wide

around 22-23" for depth.

I was designing one myself, but I'm not completely confident in my box designing abilities.

I know I need about 16-20cubes and I want tuning to be around 30-32hz, I'm not sure how much port I need though.

If you double cone area and power it should be quite a bit louder as long as you have enough space. We can definitely help with an enclosure if you decide to do it.

I'm not sure it's the best choice. Theres two people on youtube with larger dcon 15s builds, one with 4 dcons and one with 6, and neither of them were happy with the outcome of their builds.

It makes me uneasy to just get more Dcons. Seems like it might be better to change woofers. The problem is deciding which one.

whats your guys opinion? I have about 500-600 dollar budget because shipping is a bitch to alaska. Definitely not going to go anything smaller then a 15 also..

I'm not sure it's the best choice. Theres two people on youtube with larger dcon 15s builds, one with 4 dcons and one with 6, and neither of them were happy with the outcome of their builds.

It makes me uneasy to just get more Dcons. Seems like it might be better to change woofers. The problem is deciding which one.

whats your guys opinion? I have about 500-600 dollar budget because shipping is a bitch to alaska. Definitely not going to go anything smaller then a 15 also..

Youtube is a silly way to compare things. If you are happy with your two 15's then I would think that four on twice the power would be a great option. What are your goals? What do you like/dislike about your current setup?

I agree with rick, there's WAY more to it than them just adding the subs and not being happy with it.  I would imagine they cut corners to fit the boxes in the vehicles and didn't have good box designs, coupled with a completely different alignment with the vehicles acoustics and they got bad results from poor planning.  At least that's my guess on their comments, you're not going to go from awesome to horrible adding more of the exact same sub that was working awesome unless you just plain screwed something up, plain and simple.

Now, You've definitely got some good room to work with.  Were I in the same shoes as you, I wouldn't hesitate on another pair of DCON's and I do have plans for a quad DCON c-pillar wall build for a project vehicle at some point in the future, but that's me and wouldn't worry about a few other peoples mishaps and flaws.

I couldn't possibly agree more^

Yeah that's why the Dcons were my most likely choice, and your opinions fully confirm that. so thanks guys smile.png

What I don't like about my current setup is that it doesn't flex much outside my truck, which doesn't matter to most. But to me its important for that wow factor. My 3 twelves I had before this, would set off car alarms but this one build doesn't. Not the biggest priority for sure obviously.

I like the SQ even with ported, I thought they'd lose all of their definition with ported like a lot of subs I've heard.

So yeah I'd pretty much like to go for mainly a SPL box this time around, cause I think the Dcons will have just enough SQ left to satisfy me.

I listen to Dubstep, decaf, bass, and rap. Mostly Decaf  stuff.

I dig the lows but as long as I can at least sorta hear down to 26-27 I'll be really happy.

So as a generalization, that's my goals.

Also to note is that the top on a bronco is just thin fiberglass and being an old Truck/Suv it doesn't seal up all that well, so acoustics are not the best.

I'm not sure that will be a factor in the box though, other then the only good way to point the subs/port is forward.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Four 15's, ~1200 watts, tuned to ~35 with a lot of port area. That's what I would do. Provide your max dimensions, and I'll mess around with some numbers.

35 seems a bit high? seems like I would lose my lows. But alright, umm max dimensions that would slide in as one piece with the back seat still functional, would be 51in wide, 22.5in deep, and 35in tall.

Edited by SacredTanakh

Oh and I was going to just grab another rubicon 2.600 but they aren't strappable so I think I'm just going to sell the 2.600 and get a Crescendo c1100.4 which I can later use as my mids and highs when I upgrade again. Unless there is another option for 1200w at 2ohms that's less then 500.