Sign in to follow this  
azlnick

Cleaning up Big 3/Protecting wire from heat.

I installed my big 3 about 2 months ago, and I was in a hurry to get it done. I want to help shield the wires from the heat and possibly change my battery terminal to a ring-style terminal.

Will Techflex be enough? Or should I put on some wire loom as well? I'd like to be able to just put on some color matching techflex to my power, ground, and amp cables, but if the AZ heat is going to beat down on those wires this summer, I'll wrap some wire loom around them if need be. What do you guys think?

EDIT: KnuKonceptz 0g wiring. According to their website, with the insulation, it's 16mm thick, just over half an inch. Should I go for the 1/2 techflex or the 3/4? Same question goes for the wire loom.

Edited by azlnick

FYI- the more you wrap wire, the less it's ampacity capability is.

IF you desperately need to protect it, use an open air jacket like techflex you mentioned.

Researched a bit about ampacity. Not making too much sense to me, can you explain it?

Edited by azlnick

current creates heat. Ampacity of a wire is rated at a certain amperage for a given amount of time at a given length.

If your wire had no jacket on it at all, the ampacity capability to temp and time would almost double.

Moot point honestly, if the wire gets hot enough for extra layers of insulation to hurt, you're having other issues. 

I personally like welding wire in locations subjected to abuse. It can take a lot of heat and mechanical abuse. 

The best way to reduce heat saturation on your charge wire is to route it below/in front of the engine block. If your wire is routed effectively covering it in techflex will do nothing beneficial and will add cost to your install. 

I see, so techflex and wire looming is more cosmetic rather than practical. I'll just move my wires around in a neater fashion then. Thanks guys.

I see, so techflex and wire looming is more cosmetic rather than practical. I'll just move my wires around in a neater fashion then. Thanks guys.

You got it man. I will also add that techflex can create a leaking point when passing through a firewall or other body panel. It is not water tight like a good quality grommet could be with the proper fitting wire. from an abrasion resistance stand point just make sure your wires are routed effectively (shortest SAFEST route) and deburr or round over any sharp edges where the wire may come in contact.