Sign in to follow this  
frogcase2002

ground and power

I have 2 runs of 0 and running 2 more sometime when I get time ( already have it) . . I was wondering if you need the same amount of ground as you do power.like Should I use 2 of the runs for ground and 2 for power or all 4 power and 4 grounds in the back or 3 power and 1 ground from front and 2 grounds in the back or what? There will be at least 4 runs no matter what. Just seeing what y'all think I should do

Think it would be better to have all 4 powers and 4 grounds in the back or should I do at least one of the runs as a ground?

Depending on the vehicle you ave you may not need any ground runs.

What make/model vehicle do you have?

Its a 05 sable..... right now I have 2 powers from the front and 2 grounds in the back and it does alright but I'm adding 2 more runs and didn't know if I should just use them as more power or do at least one ground run

What are you trying to accomplish by adding more wire?

What are you powering?

What are you trying to accomplish by adding more wire?

What are you powering?

You can just look in his signature... Has his build right there.

Its a 05 sable..... right now I have 2 powers from the front and 2 grounds in the back and it does alright but I'm adding 2 more runs and didn't know if I should just use them as more power or do at least one ground run

I don't think 4 runs of 0g is going to help much with how much power you have, Id add batteries instead, or a larger alternator.

4 runs seems excessive on wire to me for what you have.

I may be wrong thought, feel free for anyone to correct me.

If your vehicle had a frame then you might not need dedicated grounds. I would run equal ground/power in a uni-body.

20' of 1/0 OFC can handle a good 250a @12v with minimal voltage drop. Step up to 2/0 or 3/0 welding cable and the current capability will increase and voltage drop will decrease. Makes no sense to do multiple runs of 1/0 car audio wire when superior welding cable is available. BTW, KNU makes comparable wire to 2/0 welding cable.

If your vehicle had a frame then you might not need dedicated grounds. I would run equal ground/power in a uni-body.

20' of 1/0 OFC can handle a good 250a @12v with minimal voltage drop. Step up to 2/0 or 3/0 welding cable and the current capability will increase and voltage drop will decrease. Makes no sense to do multiple runs of 1/0 car audio wire when superior welding cable is available. BTW, KNU makes comparable wire to 2/0 welding cable.

But if hes pulling more then 220amps, then the batteries are whats gonna take the hit, and that's assuming the alternator is going at full output.

Which if hes already got two runs of 0g that's ~500amps that can get through.

So in all reality wouldn't it be wiser to go with a larger alt, and or more batteries, to take the strain? It seems like wire should be the least of his priorities.

(fixed typo)

Edited by SacredTanakh

But if hes pulling more then 220amps, then the batteries are whats gonna take the hit, and that's assuming the alternator is going at full output.

So in all reality wouldn't it be wiser to go with a larger alt, and or more batteries, to take the strain? It seems like wire is the least of his priorities.

(fixed typo)

No idea bro. I have no idea how his stuff is wired up or how old his charging equipment is. Maybe the alt and batts are shot trippy.gif

So in all reality wouldn't it be wiser to go with a larger alt, and or more batteries, to take the strain? It seems like wire is the least of his priorities.

(fixed typo)

No idea bro. I have no idea how his stuff is wired up or how old his charging equipment is. Maybe the alt and batts are shot trippy.gif

All Im saying is OP should probably spend his money on other things instead of wire from what I can see. he looks to have plenty.

Everything has been good forreal. Just wanted to add more. . . Have 220 amp alt and 5 75 ah batts and a 80 ah batt. . Volts would only sometimes be down in the low 13s. . . Just figured more couldn't hurt lol. . And already have enough for the other 2 runs.

Going to be running more than the ap amp with the new build just to let y'all know. . . . Going to either be another ap3000. . A bc3500 or 2 bc2000s depending on what deals I find

I see no problem and thus I see no reason to add anything. 

You're right, more couldn't hurt. If you're chasing numbers then I could see a reason to do it, but I have zilch experience in that so I'll leave that to someone else. 

Good luck! :)

You're right, more couldn't hurt. If you're chasing numbers then I could see a reason to do it, but I have zilch experience in that so I'll leave that to someone else. 

thanks. . Yea I know its not needed but just going crazy waiting for my recone lol cant think of what else to do lol

Good luck! smile.png

thanks. . Yea I know its not needed but just going crazy waiting for my recone lol cant think of what else to do lol

:) I get it, and you wont have to do it later when you do upgrade so props. Just saying I wouldn't go out of my way at this point to add wire.

btw, You like those 12 inch zcons? how do they sound?

:) I get it, and you wont have to do it later when you do upgrade so props. Just saying I wouldn't go out of my way at this point to add wire.

btw, You like those 12 inch zcons? how do they sound?

the zcons are crazy. . I was doing a tiny hair trick from the trunk with one 15 zcon lol and did a 145.6 with it. . Not done with my new build though. Hoping it will be crazy :)

I'd love to hear any of the zcons and xcons nobody else really that I know of has SSA subs up here. :/

If I make enough money this summer who knows though, might buy a larger ssa sub. All it takes is money ;)