Sign in to follow this  
RF-ChipmunK

Opinions on box in ext cab truck.

Hello all, new here.

Wanting to get some opinions on my upcoming box build. Never did an extended cab before.

Ok so the sub is a 12" Fi BL on a rockford t1500 bdcp. Now the box I have figured is 3.9 cuft gross and 2.5 after all displacement(I plan on double baffling). Port will be a t-line style.

My question is Port up? Or Port Forward?

Box dimensions are 39" x 15" x 15" so port will be the same either way at 3" x 13.5".

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

T-lines don't have volume. And that is nowhere big enough for a 12.

Nowhere big enough? Are u saying fi doesn't know what box there subs should be in? It's built to there specs.

And ok so say L style port.

Any more opinions?

Opinion? No opinions. You stated you were building a t-line. And with an asinine response like that you won't find any help here until you check your attitude.

After that, getting terms correct will be more helpful to those who have knowledge helping what you are trying to achieve.

Why does everyone think a response is yelling? I have no attitude, I am just trying to learn like the next man.

Now, 2.5 after displacement is what's recommended by Fi. Is that not what I should be basing the design of my box from? Do I need more airspace?

And, scratch the t-line. Say L-port. Should I go forward or upward or even to the side? What do you guys will be most optimal or loudest to the ear even?

Again I have no attitude with anyone here and just trying to learn like the next man.

Also, thanks for all your help.

A t line is vastly different from what you are wanting to do.

What way is your sub going to fire?

What you are building is a vented enclosure.  No need to describe the vent.  It is already understood that the port will not be straight due to the length needed.  Being it is a realitlivy small enclosure I would but th eport and sub on the same face and just turn the enclosure around until which ever position you prefer.  Normally the 35 hertz range will be louder by ear.  the system would need to be modeled to know how to optimize it.

Cool then we could go with what I drew up to begin with.

39" L x 15" H x 15" D. Which is 3.9 cuft gross.

Double baffle front face with Sub and port on this face. Port being 13.5" H (using 3/4" MDF) x 3" W x 35" L.

Which nets me 2.5 cuft after sub displacement of .18 cuft, port displacement of 1.01 cuft and the extra baffle displacement of .22 cuft. Tuned to 32 hz.

Will this be optimal as Fi recommends 2.5 cuft @ 32 hz? Is my math correct and am I on the right track?

im your man here bud. i have had nothing but extended cab trucks and have done NUMEROUS builds with 1 12, 2 10s, 2 8s, 2 15s, 1 18.... i will say from personal experience, u want to have the sub firing forward (face to back of seat) and port facing up. i have literally tried every way imaginable with boxes in a extended cab truck and this always seemed to work best! good luck to you and your build. need any help, just contact me

A t line is vastly different from what you are wanting to do.

What way is your sub going to fire?

Firing forward. 

im your man here bud. i have had nothing but extended cab trucks and have done NUMEROUS builds with 1 12, 2 10s, 2 8s, 2 15s, 1 18.... i will say from personal experience, u want to have the sub firing forward (face to back of seat) and port facing up. i have literally tried every way imaginable with boxes in a extended cab truck and this always seemed to work best! good luck to you and your build. need any help, just contact me

So using the above posts dimensions, in order to build it with port up I will have to make box taller which in turn will have to be made less deep.  Idea is to not have to move my seat from where it is.  Current box in vehicle now is 30"W x 15"D x12"H and I have a few inches to spare.  So the 15" x 15" would be perfect with sub firing against passenger seat.

If I build with port up, accounting for top/bottom and port wall pieces plus the 3 " port diameter that leaves me with 9" or so which is to small to cut out sub.

I saw a guy with a program that had the box modeled in 3d.  Anybody else got that and want to help?

Thanks,