Sign in to follow this  
Mtxplod

Bad spot on coil?

I have an issue with my amp protecting at a high output. The subs are wired to ohms in an 8 cube enclosure tuned at 38. When I take it into high volumes it gets louder without distortion. When it starts getting to its peak my amp throws a short circuit protect. Is it possible that one of the coils have an issue? Or possibly amp?

The setup is four fi ssds on a stetsom 7kd. Also coils read exact same on each eight coils.

how do you have it wired?

Series/parallel each coil is ohm ohm with distribution blocks.

Edited by Mtxplod

Whats the subsonic filter set at?

The amp only has a low pass. It's set to 50hz it's the lowest it can go.

That's your probablem...you've probably yanked the tinsel leads out of the subs.

You can not play below your port tuning frequency without a subsonic filter..you'll rip the soft parts up.

Watch the video:

What amp?

proably burned a spot up on the tinsel lead..it doesn't drop out until they start moving below tuning at full excursion

Stetsom 7kd one ohm I have even measured it while it was playing nothing out of the ordinary

Stetsom 7kd one ohm I have even measured it while it was playing nothing out of the ordinary

Measured what while it was playing? The load is going to be all over the place while playing, if that's what you mean.

Cant be it still reads a dead 2 ohm as it should

Sure it can be..it may be fine at rest whenever you read the coils with the meter. If the coil was exploded it wouldn't work at all..it'd be open.

A tinsel under load with power going through it, and the speaker moving..it could have a fatigued spot in the tinsel leads because you don't have a subsonic filter. It drops out and causes the amp to go into protect..

Or the amp is clipping out and going into protect.

What leads do you have? Integrated or the external ones?

Those wont' fatigue..have you taken a sub out of the box? Odds are you're going to have huge burn spots on the spiders and the tinsel lead might be smashing down into the basket and shorting out on it due to you not having a subsonic filter..

When things get flung and moved waaaaaaaay too much you're going to have issues.

It's essentially like driving a car with no brakes.

That sounds like a for sure culprit I'll take a look at it tommor and see what happens

Tuned in. 

Also, did you check your load disconnected from the amp?

Being connected to the amp can throw your readings off. Did you touch your multimeters probs together to get a prereading?

Ok my car is actually at my friends shop and he took them out for me and said that on two the spiders were burnt by the leads so he covered the leads and still the same issue occurs.