Sign in to follow this  
grumby13

Alpine type s

Would it be possible to recone a sws 12d2 to an swr d2 series or could I use a different recone company to place in its basket I'm down for either option if I can put a different company recone what is a good  recone kit to put in a d1 or another d2 thanks in advance for all others. And is it possible to run the subs at 500rms per coil which is a total of 1kilowatt to the sub total

Edited by grumby13

Would it be possible to recone a sws 12d2 to an swr d2 series

No, two completely different subwoofers.

or could I use a different recone company to place in its basket

Maybe, you would need to send the sub in to a company so they could get the necessary measurements to see what they have that might fit.  But it wouldn't use the original parts so the original engineering of the subwoofer is out the window and you'd be stuck with basically a subwoofer built out of whatever parts may fit....in short this isn't a good idea even if someone could configure some parts together to fit.  Alpine claims a 2.6" voice coil which is a little odd, so finding a replacement coil might prove difficult.

Have you talked to Alpine?  Can they recone it?  Honestly if Alpine can't recone it for cheap just toss it and buy something else.  The money spent on shipping and a recone if you could even find one that fit would far exceed the value of the subwoofer.   

Also, you need to figure out why it blew in the first place, otherwise whatever you replace it with is destined for the same fate.  You'll end up just continually wasting money replacing subwoofers until you figure out what you did wrong.

And is it possible to run the subs at 500rms per coil which is a total of 1kilowatt to the sub total

On a Type S?  No, it's 500w RMS for the subwoofer, meaning 250w per coil.

i might be going with a different company for the subwoofers. i saw that there is a swr 12d2 and on ebay there is a seller that makes kits for the switch