Sign in to follow this  
Lee Carter

Newbie box design

Looking to run a pair of 18's in my Burb eventually.  Never built a ported box- but I've been reading on here and studying install how to's on youtube- i know it sounds lame- but they have helped.  I downloaded sketch up and this is only my 2nd design, so be gentle.LOL

Designed for my 01 Suburban- it is my creek/river vehicle- so the indent is for my ice chest.slayer.gif

Used http://www.mobileinformationlabs.com/HowTo-1Woofer-Box-CAL%20Port%20lenth%201.htm  to calculate the port.

11.3 cubes after displacements

140 sq in port (~12.5in/cube)

tuned to 34

Still have some supports to add, and the front flap will be potential amp rack area.

The subs face forward 1) to protect the subs from my kids and 2) the only other option was to the sides.

Anyhow- to the pics, LMK what you guys think?

subbox.png

subbox4.png

subbox3.png

subbox2.png

What 18s are you going to run?

When designing a box you design it for that specific sub. Can't really design a box if you don't have a sub figured out.

Also your port area is small for 2 18s. That's around what 2 15s use.

Port area is very important. Do you really need that cooler? The way I see it from what you have is either 2 15s or ditch the cooler. The box size is just a tad under what most 18s need and adding more port area will decrease the box volume and increase tuning (while leaving same port length).

Edit:

Just noticed you have the port and subs facing different ways. That's not a good idea. Can't remember exactly why but I think it's a cancellation issue or something. Somebody else can explain why.

Edited by Bassink

What 18s are you going to run?

When designing a box you design it for that specific sub. Can't really design a box if you don't have a sub figured out.

Also your port area is small for 2 18s. That's around what 2 15s use.

Port area is very important. Do you really need that cooler? The way I see it from what you have is either 2 15s or ditch the cooler. The box size is just a tad under what most 18s need and adding more port area will decrease the box volume and increase tuning (while leaving same port length).

Edit:

Just noticed you have the port and subs facing different ways. That's not a good idea. Can't remember exactly why but I think it's a cancellation issue or something. Somebody else can explain why.

Great info- thanks. Leaning towards Sundown z series, or Fi SP4's as they recommend less airspace. Hoping to run 2 Soundstrem 2500's(mainly cuz I have one), dual alts. The measurements are not 100%, my mother took them while I am offshore, and my truck is at her house.LOL I'll take my own measurement when I get home next week. If I can't find another 2500, I'll prolly run Sundown X series....or I like the Icons...but I read they like alot of airspace.

The port length got too long with the port bigger by the calculator I used- maybe it isn't a good one...

As for the cooler- I have 4 boys, and rarely have an empty seat going to the river...this is the best solution for me. It still has to function as a SUV.

Edited by Leedogg

OH yeah- one more thing-

"When designing a box you design it for that specific sub. Can't really design a box if you don't have a sub figured out."

Like most everyone- i want the loudest cleanest deepest sound I can get with the amount of space I have...working out the options.

OH yeah- one more thing-

"When designing a box you design it for that specific sub. Can't really design a box if you don't have a sub figured out."

Like most everyone- i want the loudest cleanest deepest sound I can get with the amount of space I have...working out the options.

I don't recommend running 18s if you want the cooler and that's the biggest you can go. I would run 15s. I explained before why because of the port area and already small box volume. I'm pretty sure the 15s would get louder and sound a million times better.

I design boxes too. If you want I can help you make one for some 15s. We can make it as wide and tall as it can go and then make the depth the shortest we can go while still keeping it optimal. This way you should still be able to fit coolers and more stuff in there.

As for power, I am 100% fine with 2500 rms and 2 12s. Adding that 2500 will get you louder but it's going to cost a lot to get that little extra bit louder. I don't see it worth it IMO since its for daily. Even for two 2500s you don't need dual Alts. 1 high output alt would be plenty.

How many/what kind of batteries do you have?

What's your budget for subs only?

Edited by Bassink

I have seen some or your work- it rocks- party what inspired my to try my hand at it.

for batteries- I was thinking 2 xs 3400's. I can run dual batteries under the hood, with factory parts for dual battery trucks. maybe that is overkill too- I was planning a huge electrical.(maybe I shouldn't say huge in present company, some of you guys have huge...)

Budgets is whatever strikes my fancy(within reason) but I got no problem dropping up a grand or so for subs. Pretty much 2 of anything in the SSA store is affordable.

OK- I just decided- selling my 2500.1...going to go ahead and order a Crescendo 3500, and 1100.4 for my power. Ice chest can go. Wish I was home to get better measurements.

Edited by Leedogg

Anyone ever tell you that you kinda look like Gary Biggs?

Anywho, don't be concerned with what is "Recommended". Pretty much no one now a days explains why and for what purpose the recommended enclosure is for.

Best to start off with the amount of power you can afford. Then you can pick from the subs in that power range and figure out what will work with your allowed area.

You sure you saw my designs? Lol thanks man! If you need any help with it let me know.

I think the 2 d3400s and the stock battery will be good with a HO alt. check out singer!

I would suggest some xcons man! I have 1 12 right now on ~1000 rms and it slams so hard. Sounds absolutely amazing doing it too. If you want more output but still sounding good than zcons. But xcons get super loud too. I can't wait to get 2 12s on 2500 rms.

What are you powering with the c1100.4?

What kind of music do you listen too?

Anyone ever tell you that you kinda look like Gary Biggs?

Anywho, don't be concerned with what is "Recommended". Pretty much no one now a days explains why and for what purpose the recommended enclosure is for.

Best to start off with the amount of power you can afford. Then you can pick from the subs in that power range and figure out what will work with your allowed area.

Never heard of Gary Biggs. LOL And I kinda thought I was doing that. Planned on 4-5K and 2 18"SP4's based the 5-8 cubes ported- Thought 11 cubes for 2 was good.

You sure you saw my designs? Lol thanks man! If you need any help with it let me know.

I think the 2 d3400s and the stock battery will be good with a HO alt. check out singer!

I would suggest some xcons man! I have 1 12 right now on ~1000 rms and it slams so hard. Sounds absolutely amazing doing it too. If you want more output but still sounding good than zcons. But xcons get super loud too. I can't wait to get 2 12s on 2500 rms.

What are you powering with the c1100.4?

What kind of music do you listen too?

Man I typed a LONG response as to my plans yesterday- and lost it..I was so pissed i walked away.LOL

I will look at the Singers. As for the Crescendo choice- i just love the look of them- People that have them seem to love them. Always had the 3500 in mind for 'when I stepped up from Soundstream'. They seem compareable to Sundown Amp but cheaper. I like that the 1100.4 is the same size as the 3500(I like symetry), and it has all the power I'll ever need.(for only 4xx bucks). As far as mids/highs- I am thinking midbass off 2 channels, and 4 sets of componets(crescendo also) off the other 2.

I looked at the SSA subs- but they didn't list airspace requirements, but I read here on the forums that they seem to like huge boxes.

I listen to everything. Rap , metal, Rock, Hick-Hop, old school bass music, anything 70/80/90's. So I want it to do everything well.

What do you use for port calculations? I have WinISD on my laptop(it is in the shop for screen replacement)- but not here at work...

Edited by Leedogg

I hate when that happens!!!!

The crescendos are great amps. I had 2 bc2ks and I loved them. If you want to get the c1100.4 just to match the 3500 then I guess that's fine but you don't need it.

You don't even need that many speakers. One set of components up front would be plenty.

Ssa does show recommend box size on their website.

http://products.soundsolutionsaudio.com/index.php/product-information/xcon.html

Go all the way down and it says enclosure recommendations.

I use Torres box calc. Type in Torres box calculator in google and it'll be the first one on S M D forum.

I agree the fronts are overkill prolly do may just do 2 sets in the factory locations first. the good thing is that you can always turn them down.

For some reason we couldn'y get the .net file you need to run the torres on my work computer- the firewall kept blocking it.  So I D/L'ed WinISD...best I can do.

Like this any better?  used Icon 15's as the basis.  8 cubes after dispacements, 16"/foot port area (128.9^in area, 2.2^ft port area).  Still keep the cooler, and only 18" tall.

Open for constructive criticizm.LOL  I am doing these during my free time here at work...goofing off.

SB4-1.png

SB4-2.png

SB4-3.png

I'm sure that will be okk if those specs are right. Don't know if that's alright to have the separate back part like that. I'm not a professional designer though lol Someone will ok it