Sign in to follow this  
nigel

just looking for some basic starting points

okay, well I got some money for my birthday, and was thinking of picking up some mdf to build a ported enclosure for the SUV.  Single 15" sub off of 600 watts.

mfg reccomended optimal enclosure is 4 cubic ft. tuned to 34 Hz.

My max dimensions available are 38.5" W x 24" D x 18" H

Here's what I was thinking:

38.5" wide by 18" high by 18" deep (outside measures, using .75" mdf)

Sub up, port back.  Port 16.5" high by 4" wide by 28" long (acoustical, physical 23.25" since it will have a bend)

gives a gross volume of 5.82 cubic ft, net of 4.24 cubic ft after subwoofer and port displacement, tuning of 33.8 Hz

will be adding some bracing but not enough to bring tuning above 34 Hz

Questions are:

For 600 watts power level on a 15" sub, will 66 square inches of port area be enough?  Or will I be choking it and causing "chaffing"?

If not what port surface area range do I want to be in?

Thanks in advance for your advice/help.

RE SEX 15, thought maybe I could leave that out since most on here don't like RE and there is no money in the budget to change the sub.

RE SEX 15, thought maybe I could leave that out since most on here don't like RE and there is no money in the budget to change the sub.

You can't properly design an enclosure without knowing what is going in it.

ok,

18mm linear xmax one way

810 cm^2 Sd

Bl of 17.7

Fs of 22 Hz

Qes .55

Qms 4.3

Qts .49

VAS 209 liters

88 Db spl 1w/1m

Would this help?

guess I should give a goal for it as well.  This is my daily driver vehicle.  Will not be competing of any kind, rest of the speakers in the vehicle are stock at the moment, and are sufficient enough for now.  May down the road change the fronts to a component set, but that won't be for a while.  Just looking to pick up the bottom end some.  Currently running the sub in a sealed enclosure, just looking to get a little more oomph out of it, nothing crazy, was originally bought with the intention of building a ported enclosure but that was for a different vehicle that is no more.

Listen to just about everything music wise, country, rock, rap, pop, techno/house etc...

ok, so using the calculation that stefanhinote posted in the how good is your port thread pinned above, using these measures with an input power of 600 watts, it gives me a vent mach percentage of.029341853811  He stated most people shoot to aim for less than .045, so I should be good to go, or is that mach too low?

Edited by nigel

well, looks like this is the box that I will be building, started a thread in the build logs section, picked up the wood yesterday, have most of the pieces marked on it last night.