Sign in to follow this  
Corey54

Having trouble tuning my deck and amp

Looking for advice tuning my new deck. I have a Pioneer DEH 80prs, a Soundqubed 1200d running at 1 ohm with 2 12" alpine type x subs. I have my low pass filter set at 80hz on my deck but I don't know where to set my low pass filter at on my amp? I was told to just turn it up out of the frequency range of my subs but idk if that's right. Bass boost is at 0 and the subsonic filter at 10hz. Gain is at nominal power. I have my subwoofer level on my deck set to 0db. The crossover slope it at 18db. Automatic sound levelizer at high and source level adjuster at 0. Graphic equilizer is flat.

What's your tuning?

Put the subsonic like 3hz below tuning.

Set your low pass to around 80.

Then turn your headunit volume up 75%. Then go to amp and turn the gain up until you hear distortion. Back off just a little bit once you hear it.

What's your tuning?

Then turn your headunit volume up 75%. Then go to amp and turn the gain up until you hear distortion. Back off just a little bit once you hear it.

Why are you suppose to put the subsonic ~~3hz below? So if I have my box tuned to 32 and I set the filter to 29, wouldn't the amp not play below 29?

What's your tuning?

Why are you suppose to put the subsonic ~~3hz below? So if I have my box tuned to 32 and I set the filter to 29, wouldn't the amp not play below 29?

It will begin to slope off at 29. You set it just below tuning to help prevent the sub from mechanically failing from over excursion.

it will roll of beginning at 29 hz, depending on the amps ssf setting, either 12,18 or 24 db per octave.  This is to help prevent your subwoofer from unloading below tuning frequency of the enclosure and damaging its suspension/coil.  Once you begin playing below tuning, you now longer have back pressure inside the enclosure to assist in keeping the cone/motor assembly from driving rearward and bottoming out against the backplate/extreme limits of the suspension depending on driver design, likewise when moving forward, nothing to assist in over excursion other than the suspension.

If constantly pushing the sub past it's limits below tuning, it will prematurely wear and cause early failure.

Edited by nigel

What's your tuning?

The guys above me explained it. It's actually suppose to be set some specific way with equations or something but a few hz below tuning is a pretty good way to do it.

What's your tuning?

The guys above me explained it. It's actually suppose to be set some specific way with equations or something but a few hz below tuning is a pretty good way to do it.

Thanks for the info didnt know that

Yea no problem man. That's what the forum is here for :)

I have a sealed box so where should I set the subsonic at?

Turn it all the way down. I don't know exactly how but the sealed boxes don't need a subsonic filter. I'm sure someone else will explain why.

I have a sealed box so where should I set the subsonic at?

Turn it all the way down. I don't know exactly how but the sealed boxes don't need a subsonic filter. I'm sure someone else will explain why.

Ok thanks

Not sure what you should do there.

Should I adjust my graphic eq at all?

If you have any peaks that you would like to fix, just don't boost anything.