Sign in to follow this  
holykaos

Building new system

So i am starting a new build soon over my old Sundown audio sa8 v 1.75s (4 of them). So i am looking for some peoples input on my new
system. The subs i am looking to change out for are

1.  One Sundown audio z-4 18 $609.00

2.  One SSA Zcon 18 $542.00

3.  One SSA evil 18 $799.00

4.  Four Sundown audio Sa-8's v.2 $740.00

5.  Two  Sundown audio X-15's $778.00

Just wondering what everyone thinks. Three of them are single 18's, so wondering if that is better then the 2 15's and the 4 8's.

The car is a 2004 hyundai elantra gt HB ( my old build log)
http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/52732-hyundai-elantra-hb/page-6?hl=holykaos

Still have a few issues with the car, like trying to find a high output alt. Dc is the only one i have found and $700 is a little too much for me so i think i am going to remove my ac pump(Ac went out at the start of the summer) and make a bracket for a 300am alt. from mec-man and just have 2( the factory one for the car and a larger one for the batts). Not sure how to work the 2 Alts. like that but i can figure it out. Let me know what you guys think.

Re: Added prices from ssa store.

Edited by holykaos

Personally, I would do the 2 15's setup. You figure the price of the x's compared to the nsv4 and evils. you could probably get 2 x's for the price of a nsv4. you get more cone area and you both setups should have the same amount of power. maybe like 4k

What amplifier, car, system goal, space available, ...?

If you have 4 SA8 now, why the 4th option ?

Without any info I would say one SSA Zcon 18 !

You live in Arizona? For the love of god don't lose your AC lol. I believe excessive amperage makes an alternator for our cars as well. Funny thing is the alternator casing all the way up to like 2009 is the same casing but just looks to be a different voltage regulator. I have a guy bringing one to me next week from an 07 3 pin elantra and I will attempt to swap the voltage regulator from my current alternator which is 2 pin. 

As for the sub. You could say i'm bias and say go with a single 18", but my build log speaks for itself. It really is a shoehorn trying to get any kind of space and staying below the seats and make it looks good. 

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/59791-2005-elantra-hatch-fi-sp4-build/

I second that opinion!!

Fyi my AC is already out in my car, it died last summer and cost way to much to have fixed i can live with out ac i work out side all day long any ways. As to your question about the car Notorious that is up top and the 4 Sundown 8s would be swapping to the newer v2's they are a little better then the 4 v1's i have. I will choose my amp when i pick my sub set up and space is large enough that i can fit 1 18 in a large ported box or any of the other set ups. I have 4 8's in a 6 cube box now plus i can remove the back seats if need be. Nadcicle the largest alt. for our car was the 90 amp that my car has now so keeping that for the factory systems and adding a sec one just sounds like fun to tell you the truth.  Oh forgot to add in the system i am aiming for is to break what ever i can in my car so i want it to get low.

Edited by holykaos

Fyi my AC is already out in my car, it died last summer and cost way to much to have fixed i can live with out ac i work out side all day long any ways. As to your question about the car Notorious that is up top and the 4 Sundown 8s would be swapping to the newer v2's they are a little better then the 4 v1's i have. I will choose my amp when i pick my sub set up and space is large enough that i can fit 1 18 in a large ported box or any of the other set ups. I have 4 8's in a 6 cube box now plus i can remove the back seats if need be. Nadcicle the largest alt. for our car was the 90 amp that my car has now so keeping that for the factory systems and adding a sec one just sounds like fun to tell you the truth.  Oh forgot to add in the system i am aiming for is to break what ever i can in my car so i want it to get low.

I will for sure let you know how the voltage regulator swap goes because I know for certain that the regulator is removable and they make alts for the newer model elantras. 

I'll be the first to tell you that our hatchbacks absolutely hate bass and tail lights and rear windshield wipers. My damn wiper flaps all over the place and I have the full intention of removing it all together cause I shred the blade off it the moment I replace it. I replace tail lights regularly as well at the rate of twice a month. I keep saying the next time they blow I will just replace them with LED's. The rubber gasket around the hatch is also shredding to pieces as well. To be honest though creating a system just to destroy your car is kinda messed up as your car doesn't deserve it. 

Just an FYI, the box I built for my 18 was considered "too small" in most aspects as after port and displacements it was right at 6.34 cuft with only 63.75 cuin of port so right at 10 cuin per foot tuned to 31hz. Just remember that for most 18's this will be too small and you want as much room as possible. The only way to really achieve any more room was building the box angled at a slope up towards the trunk, but then you have to drop it fast because the hatch slams on it. I really maxed out on mine and if I had it to do over i'd have probably built it with the intention of making it just like a trunk car with with sub forward port forward and making a fascia to seal off the sides. 

As for the car breaking it is the last thing i care about it has 170k miles on it and just gets driven to my work(replaced it with fr-s for daily) the rear end of my car has so much foam in it that it should help with the bulb breaking and like i said removing the back seat is no problem they never get used any ways. Oh and my rear windshield wiper is gone any ways friends broke it off being dumb.  And the car kind of does need to be destroyed been threw a lot with that car bought it brand new off the lot and had so many problems with it that all i want to use it for now is an audio car but finding parts for it is kind of hard.

Edited by holykaos

As for the car breaking it is the last thing i care about it has 170k miles on it and just gets driven to my work(replaced it with fr-s for daily) the rear end of my car has so much foam in it that it should help with the bulb breaking and like i said removing the back seat is no problem they never get used any ways. Oh and my rear windshield wiper is gone any ways friends broke it off being dumb.  And the car kind of does need to be destroyed been threw a lot with that car bought it brand new off the lot and had so many problems with it that all i want to use it for now is an audio car but finding parts for it is kind of hard.

Sounds like you have all your bases covered. Have fun destroying the car.

How well did the back end of your car handle the weight of the sub/box/bat amps and what not. Thinking i might need to find some larger springs or swap some from another vehicle to make the rear hold the weight.

It's not sagging hardly at all. I do know when I swap out for the wall that I will be adding support myself. Personally I will be doing air bags on a switch if I go that far instead of air shocks since I'm not one to rely on having to hit up every gas station in the event of a leak to add more air. 

Would take some modding to add air ride to our cars but i have found a kit for them made for our car but its like 2500 bucks. Think i am going to swap out for some stronger truck springs and a better set of gas shocks. Just because the amount of weight i will be adding to the rear of the car.

So i have come down to getting  1.  One Sundown audio z-4 18 $609.00 2.  One SSA Zcon 18 $542.00 one of those going to remove the back seats build the box as port forward and sub up and seal all the way around it making the back seat area my batt rack and amp rack to keep the weight centered.

So i have come down to getting  1.  One Sundown audio z-4 18 $609.00 2.  One SSA Zcon 18 $542.00 one of those going to remove the back seats build the box as port forward and sub up and seal all the way around it making the back seat area my batt rack and amp rack to keep the weight centered.

Good idea. Oh as a heads up. The alternator from the 07-10 models do in fact work on our cars. I got the excessive alternator Saturday and installed today. I had to swap the internal voltage regulator on it and it works with a single flaw. The flaw is that it needs at least about 850 rpm to start charging. When I found this out I was slightly pissed because the pulley on it now is so tiny I feel like it couldn't possibly get smaller. I did a little tweaking and my car idles around 800 rpm and I can start charging with a tap of the gas though.