Sign in to follow this  
Lee Carter

01 Grand Vitara charging question

OK, 2001 Grand Vitara, 200K miles, stock alt for all I know.

My lil Zuk's alternator has me worried. I has always noticed that the lights where dimmer at idle and the dim noticeable when you roll the windows etc...

Well- installed a small system and every time it would hit(lil 600w Soundstream) the lights would dim. I figure it has a pathetic lil alt wire, and the Big 3 would probably fix it up. Always seemed worse at Idle/lower rpms, than at cruising speed(3K rpm).

I finally got a volt meter installed. When I first start the truck it is in the 14.3 range til it warms up, at that time it stays around 13.5-7 as long as you are cruising. But when I stop, the voltage will drop to 12.8. if you are idling and you roll the window up it'll drop to ~12, then dip to 11ish when the window tops out.

Done the Big 3 today- and it seems to have made little to no impact on this issue.

Now I know alternators don't make full power until you get the rpm built up- but is it normal to drop to battery static at idle? Like it isn't putting out anything. My burb holds 14-ish all the time.

It hasn't left me stranded yet, but, I am about to have ~1800 watts rms in this thing....

Edited by Leedogg

seems to me like the engine idle is to low for the alternator to keep everything running but 14.3 at first start up is normal since cold start up the voltage is high but at idle it should be 13.8. i would probable get a dmm and test the battery if the battery is at 13.8 when your readings are low then that means your voltage meter is off or the current that has to go through the pcm and all the other goodness to show what the voltage is at idle and a 2k rev. i would say get a friend to com over and have a dmm put the points up to the post when the engine is warm and your readings are low see if the battery voltage stays at 13.8 and then crank the system to its maximum playing volume before clipping and see what the drop is if the voltage drops alot from the dmm then that would mean you need a (more powerful) alternator then the stock output one but with 600 watts the dimming should not be noticed til you hit about 800 to 1k rms. but some vehicles lights are sensitive to and voltage drop that is greater then .3 but dimming can be noticed very well with a .5 drop but what else can help is upgrading the amp wire and amp ground might not be sufficent enough for the draw it requires.

Thanks for the reply!  After doing the big 3 upgrade, and added a Optima bluetop, it really helped the voltage drop when cruising.  I could hit the system pretty hard and it only drop ~.5 volts during the bass hits.  I think when I first started the truck after installing it- the battery was lil low, making me think it didn't help.  After driving the truck a bit and really banging on my lil 10's- the voltage doesn't drop as much.  But still at idle it'll aventually settle to 12.8.  Will have to get a DMM and check it on that.

try a smaller pulley

I checked and the stock alternator puts out 80 amps.

Not much for adding a sound system.

Right....

Are you going to try and upgrade it?

your welcome im glad that it helped. all you need is as what was suggested a smaller pulley and/or a new alt to get a little more juice to play with

Right....

Your going to need aproximatly 135 amps just for the sound system plus your normal amp draw from the zuk.

That oem alternator is half of what you need!

Edited by pmureika

roger that- iraggi said they can do a 160 amp in the zuk alternator,  haven't cantacted singer yet...Maybe i'll email him tonight.

Thanks again guys.

roger that- iraggi said they can do a 160 amp in the zuk alternator,  haven't cantacted singer yet...Maybe i'll email him tonight.

Thanks again guys.

I used Singer and have absolutely 0 Complaints, his lead time was right on and his customer service is very good.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable investing in an alternator for a vehicle with that many miles though.

Thanks again guys.

I used Singer and have absolutely 0 Complaints, his lead time was right on and his customer service is very good.

Personally I wouldn't feel comfortable investing in an alternator for a vehicle with that many miles though.

Made me LOL.  My Burb has over 300,000 and I just replaced the engine in it.  My T/A has 170+, my dually- I have no Idea.  Every vehicle I have ever had went well past 200K.  I figure the Zuk has at least 50K to go.  I just spent 500 bucks in wire, wood, glue, install tools, etc. another 350 for an alternator is a drop in the bucket at this point.

mike singer said he has a 200amp direct bolt on for my camry

Edited by grumby13