SpeakerBoy

Electrical upgrade planning - 2004 Chevy Blazer

I am trying to buy an amp i'll be able to use for a set of four obsidians after next summer is over. Until then i'll going to run it at four on my current subs. My other option is a precision power 1800w.

I read around and they said the Pure 3k does rated power, albeit not very efficiently (64%)

i'd argue that the amount of power really isn't as important as the quality of the amp. additionally, spl gains from additional power are very minimal. calculate the theoretical increase in spl between 2000 and 3000 watts.

Is 2ga big enough or should I trim off some slack 1/0 to use?

leave the stock wire in and add the 2 gauge. should be fine. the runs are fairly short i assume. could double up a long run if you got extra wire.

I'd be going from 750rms to 3,000rms.

Edit: Oh I read it out of order, I got you. But, my budget for an amp is tight; I would like a Sundown 1.5k, but It's a little difficult to dig that deep; what do they go for used? On Db-r it's about $380, I guess it's not too bad, considering the pure is $300. I'm terrible at waiting :(

I am not so concerned with how much, but how loud. The subs aren't doing what i'd like them to at the moment, so I am going to switch out the box and amp.

I stuffed them with 30oz of polyfill each today, and while it's a tighter smoother sound, it didn't help the lows .-.

I sent an inquiry to Singer and he said about $450 O.O alts are moneyyyyy, i've never priced them before :|

Edited by SpeakerBoy

I hear ya on the alt- Placed an order for a 175 amp unit for my lil Zuk...430 bucks...I don't even have that in my amps.LOL Luckily he let me put down a deposit, and pay it off with my next check.(before he sends it out of course)

When you start playing with big power- get ready to spend some dollars.  I have figured out that it is the little stuff that you don't really pay attention to, that nickel and dimes you to oblivion.

I hear ya on the alt- Placed an order for a 175 amp unit for my lil Zuk...430 bucks...I don't even have that in my amps.LOL Luckily he let me put down a deposit, and pay it off with my next check.(before he sends it out of course)

When you start playing with big power- get ready to spend some dollars.  I have figured out that it is the little stuff that you don't really pay attention to, that nickel and dimes you to oblivion.

X2

Is adding a diode to the alternator sensor cable potentially detrimental to the lifespan of the alt? I find I have to keep it low for two to three days depending on how much I drive, to charge the batteries back up. I have two 12v cells, and my alt only charges at 14.4v cold it usually sinks to 13.8v warm and if I throw square waves at the system, playing dubstep or such, it'll touch 12.9v. I have a duralast under the hood and an everstart maxx marine in the back, which I thought would be far more than enough for <1500rms. It it okay to rest in the high twelves while playing music? I was a lot more comfortable when it was 13+ and not sure, but it seems to sound weaker at lower voltage.

dont "throw square waves at you system" lol.

It's the nature of the music. It's intentionally distorted. You do know what dubstep is, yes?

X2

x3

Is adding a diode to the alternator sensor cable potentially detrimental to the lifespan of the alt? I find I have to keep it low for two to three days depending on how much I drive, to charge the batteries back up. I have two 12v cells, and my alt only charges at 14.4v cold it usually sinks to 13.8v warm and if I throw square waves at the system, playing dubstep or such, it'll touch 12.9v. I have a duralast under the hood and an everstart maxx marine in the back, which I thought would be far more than enough for <1500rms. It it okay to rest in the high twelves while playing music? I was a lot more comfortable when it was 13+ and not sure, but it seems to sound weaker at lower voltage.

if you're listening to some dynamic music and observing dips in voltage remember that you're at the mercy of the voltmeters resolution. It could be dipping much below that momentarily. whether or not that's a bad thing, i dont know. depends on other factors, what the amp can handle, etc. 

Where's the best place to measure at, front battery, rear battery, or at the amp? I have it at the rear battery now.

From what I read on here- the best place to hook the voltmeter to is at the amp.

I have less than eighteen inches of 2ga to my amp, even that short of a run makes a difference huh?

Personally I would think it is good, but I am just learning too.

Where's the best place to measure at, front battery, rear battery, or at the amp? I have it at the rear battery now.

it should be the same everywhere. what i was saying above is that you shouldn't put all your faith into what the meter is telling you.

I have less than eighteen inches of 2ga to my amp, even that short of a run makes a difference huh?

should be fine

Well, now that you've mentioned it, I have a clunky walmart meter that ai cut the leads to and clipped at the rear battery witd the lcd up front; what is a better brand of meter?

Apparently my alt wires were choking my voltage considerably, finally got some free time to get under the hood and add the new wiring; I've done two of three, didn't have enough cable to do all three. I did Alt to pos, and batt to frame, and with the marine in the back, the voltage doesn't dip below 13.8v at idle, with system at full tilt.

Well, now that you've mentioned it, I have a clunky walmart meter that ai cut the leads to and clipped at the rear battery witd the lcd up front; what is a better brand of meter?

even the popular stinger voltmeter isn't too great, just pay attention with your other senses and you'll be fine.