1two3

Help choosing 2.1 home set up

I'm looking for a subwoofer and speakers to use in a 2.1 bedroom home theater/listening set up. I have in mind Using a 150-300w (Was looking at the bash 300w plate amp but not sure about if I like the auto on/off) plate or regular amp (up for debate). Info: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-750

As far as subwoofer goes, I had in mind using a 10" in a T-line specifically the soundqubed SDC 2.0. mainly because I think they look awesome, there cheap, and wouldn't mind throwing it in my car one day. Im looking for a flat responce and something that sounds good. Also up for debate.

Info on amp: (10" isn't showing but here's the 8")http://www.soundqubed.com/NEW-Street-Duty-SDC20-8-D4-Subwoofer_p_69.html

I have no idea which or how many speakers to use for the two towers. Aaron had some towers built (still didn't update us on how they sound nudge nudge). I could use those if anything. Thread: http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/59524-21-bedroom-setup/

Receiver. No preference or idea about which one to use. Also don't know if this provides enough power to run the speakers off just the receiver.

I'd like to keep everything around 500$. Plan on buying everything on black Friday. And I'd like to to sound good with decent output and low end extension down to the low 20hz.

Thanks guys any info is helpful :)

For that budget I'd definitely build which throws out Black Friday pretty much.

If u had a bit bigger budget what would u get?

If u had a bit bigger budget what would u get?
Touche. I'd still build.

*perhaps something off CL, but most likely not as I'd get impatient

To put things in perspective that is about the budget I had for my office. For their I decided I couldn't even afford a tweeter so I am running full rangers. Actually wasn't the drivers that ate the budget, but the crossovers. Usually at least the price of the drivers goes into crossovers. In the case of exotic cone FR's like I have it was actually more in the crossovers by a large margin. They'd be terrible for home theater though...unless it was a one seat theater.

Last month, I bought a set of Klipsch bookhelf speakers. http://www.klipsch.com/b-20-bookshelf-speakers-pair  Those mids are awesome and the tweeters are beautiful !!!!!

The amp is an old Marantz (2 x 70 w IIRC).

I bought an amplified Jamo sub system  http://www.jamo.com/speaker-types/subwoofers/?sku=SUB300  . I did not want Jamo at first, but I had no more choice, and the price was right. Nice sound, powerful, lows are really there !!!

I LOVE this system ! Twice the cost of my bose acoustimass 5 (+10 years old), but it sounds sooo good.

Good luck.
You're in the USA, so you can get quite anything. Keep looking, and keep listening.
When I bought my system, the seller did not even know what he was selling. I had to listen to every speakers to chose for myself. I'm happy with my choice, so far :)  :)

To put things in perspective that is about the budget I had for my office. For their I decided I couldn't even afford a tweeter so I am running full rangers. Actually wasn't the drivers that ate the budget, but the crossovers. Usually at least the price of the drivers goes into crossovers. In the case of exotic cone FR's like I have it was actually more in the crossovers by a large margin. They'd be terrible for home theater though...unless it was a one seat theater.

would that be for the speakers or the crossovers? and how come?

Last month, I bought a set of Klipsch bookhelf speakers. http://www.klipsch.com/b-20-bookshelf-speakers-pair  Those mids are awesome and the tweeters are beautiful !!!!!

The amp is an old Marantz (2 x 70 w IIRC).

I bought an amplified Jamo sub system  http://www.jamo.com/speaker-types/subwoofers/?sku=SUB300  . I did not want Jamo at first, but I had no more choice, and the price was right. Nice sound, powerful, lows are really there !!!

I LOVE this system ! Twice the cost of my bose acoustimass 5 (+10 years old), but it sounds sooo good.

Good luck.

You're in the USA, so you can get quite anything. Keep looking, and keep listening.

When I bought my system, the seller did not even know what he was selling. I had to listen to every speakers to chose for myself. I'm happy with my choice, so far smile.png  smile.png

thanks for your input. ive heard lots of good things about klipsch.  im more looking into building the enclosures myself though.

oh and im having trouble opening those links you posted :(

would that be for the speakers or the crossovers? and how come?

They only work on axis. Designed that way. In audio everything is a compromise. I chose to completely compromise listening position to greatly simplify my setup. Considering it is my office and there is only 1 chair it seems like it would be stupid to do anything else smile.png

My system is unrelated to your needs. Didn't mean to bring it up, but the analogy of how to spend the budget is spot on even for your situation IF you are willing to of course build your own enclosures/crossovers. EXPECT crossovers to be similar in price to the drivers you use. It will help you search through different diy designs that are available and posted all over. Definitely worth starting with a known and tweaking than starting over for a first build. Personally I'd let what is available determine my budget a bit, but that is me. Definitely makes a difference if wood/glue/etc is included in the pricing though.

Cool thanks and Yea I got enough would and glue to make the boxes. My budget is only consisting of hardware I will be buying on line (speakers, receiver ext)

Don't buy a receiver online, your local CL is a WAY better option.

Hell for 2.1 you really just need an amp and a volume knob (unless you have more than one source in which case you need a selector as well).

It is horseshit compared to getting a used amp and pre-amp for less. Seriously crap in comparison. At that price point you should NOT buy new.

Hahah I appreciate your honesty. What am I looking for that could be better? I don't see the need for more HDMI inputs and what not.....am I looking for build quality? Just asking I what makes that one such a poor option

Do you need ANY HDMI inputs? It is two channel so NO processing is needed. How many sources do you have and what are they?

I have a few 2 chn setups in my house and a couple 2.1's. None of them use a receiver. Just an amplifier and a volume knob. Everything else in the signal chain just creates a mess.

Here is another perspective. Take a wild guess what that receiver you just linked will be worth in 1 year, in 5 years and in 10 years. Now realize it has NO processing or inputs that you really need that a 10 year old unit didn't. Now take the budget you applied for that and buy a 10 year old unit. What do you think is better?

Very interesting perspective, never thought of it that way and what your saying does make sense.

My sources are gonna be my ps3 (movies and games) my laptop, and iPod, and TV (cable or intena)

I found an old jbl sub in my basement that I might be able to use, I can find more info/pictures latter on

Then you need at least a 4 source pre-amp. If it were only your PC then you would just need an amp...

I'd start shopping CL for something. Not sure where in Canuckistan you are and what is available, but that depends a ton on your city. Personally I'd prefer to find an older pre-amp and amp combo than an integrated unit. Should still come in less than the HK smile.png

I use a simple setup of Paradigm Atom v2 bookshelf 2 ways, and a Sunfire True Subwoofer Architectual inmy apartment. All run off of a Denon AVR-810. I'm pretty happy with it.

Aperion Audio has worked out good for me..... I went with the Grand Verus towers, but they offer a more compact size tower for bedroom type set-up's.

Considering it would be much much cheaper if I just bought a complete set in leaning towards that now. I will be looking at local deals at big box stores and audio video stores alike.

What are some good trustee names to look for?

.... I've heard good things about klipsch and onkyo. If this is true are all of their product lines good or are there some to avoid?

Also if I buy a 5.1 surround system is it possible to run it as a 2.1?

That will NOT be cheaper, in fact the opposite. You buy a 5.1 set for the same budget and you'll end up with seriously subpar stuff.