EPerez

Post your guns!!

Got a glock 19 just ordered a high noon shoulder rig for it, marlin 30-30 and got rid of my Remington R1 Enhanced 1911 a while ago. Been looking to build an AR for a while now just been a hard choice between guns or audio. Hopefully get to build one around tax return and invest with a gun nut friend of mine to build about 10 ARs to sell during the next fear induced price spike.

Yea definitely. Most of my friends have been arrested multiple times and do whatever they want.

Not to generalize, but from what I saw kids had horrible parents. Just no discipline and complete enablers. It was disturbing. 

Most of them are horrible parents, but my one friend's parents can't do anything anymore, because he just does whatever. It does suck to see it happen.

Got a glock 19 just ordered a high noon shoulder rig for it, marlin 30-30 and got rid of my Remington R1 Enhanced 1911 a while ago. Been looking to build an AR for a while now just been a hard choice between guns or audio. Hopefully get to build one around tax return and invest with a gun nut friend of mine to build about 10 ARs to sell during the next fear induced price spike.

I know what you mean lol I love both guns and audio. I think right now is the biggest i'll go for my system and I'm to the point where i'm happy with what I have and won't make any more big changes or purchases for car audio.

a hard choice between guns or audio

I like the fact that audio is all initial investment. It costs money everytime to have fun with guns. A problem I'm running into right now even with reloading

I know what you mean lol I love both guns and audio. I think right now is the biggest i'll go for my system and I'm to the point where i'm happy with what I have and won't make any more big changes or purchases for car audio.

I like the fact that audio is all initial investment. It costs money everytime to have fun with guns. A problem I'm running into right now even with reloading

Problem is i'm  never done with my audio even when i think I will be lol.

Is reloading that much cheaper to do? But your so right. After you're done, if you're ever done lol, you won't have to spend money to listen to your system. With bullets, for me to go target shooting it's 50 cents a bullet. Ugh I hate that lol

Is reloading that much cheaper to do?

The rounds I make vary from being only 10% cheaper up to about 50% cheaper depending on the round and how long the brass lives. I got into reloading for the savings. Lots of people get into it for precise ammo; but I mostly just shoot to have a good time. This lets me tailor my ammo making to save me money (mostly with cheaper powder). So most of the time I make rounds right at about 60% the price that they can be had online. Either way, I know the ammo i'm shooting. I've gotten boxes of .45's where the overall length of the round has varied half a centimeter; that's HUGE. And the ammo for the Swiss is hard to find which makes it a little more expensive than it probably should be, so reloading that is also quite nice.

I did the math once... I think it came about to reloading 900 rounds of .45 saved me enough money to where I had broken even with buying all the equipment.

It all depends on how much you shoot and what you shoot. If you are shooting less than 500 rounds a year I'd probably forget about it unless it intrigues you. There is something satisfying about the methodical process of forming rounds. Oh, and it's not something to get into if you aren't willing to be super critical either. If you are careless and don't want to spend the time setting things up properly you will get seriously hurt pretty quickly.

Edited by Frostedflakejake

I think i will definitely shoot more than 500 rounds a years. No matter what I do I am always super determined to make sure I do it exactly right. I'll have to look into doing it then since it does same money. It would be for my AR 15. Thanks man.

When reloading you can save A LOT of money if you shop right. If you have a local gun range its an amazing place to get brass for free you just have to spend a little time a pick it up, but in the end it saves a fair amount of money.

I'll get some pics of mt S&W M&P .45 a little later on.

J

If you have a local gun range its an amazing place to get brass for free you just have to spend a little time a pick it up,

I am amazed that you can find a range that doesn't sell its brass. They nearly all do

If you have a local gun range its an amazing place to get brass for free you just have to spend a little time a pick it up,

I am amazed that you can find a range that doesn't sell its brass. They nearly all do

Yea when I was in Vegas the range sold them but idk if the one here in Kensington does. I'll have to call.

When reloading you can save A LOT of money if you shop right. If you have a local gun range its an amazing place to get brass for free you just have to spend a little time a pick it up, but in the end it saves a fair amount of money.

What do you mean by shopping right? Like getting different things separately instead of in a bundle?

Buying things in bulk always keeps the prices down. Buying 5lb containers of powder vs 1lb and primers in bricks of 5000 instead of 1000 usually saves 10-20%. I would imagine he is mostly talking about brass since the price for "once-fired brass" fluctuates enormously. The best thing to do would be to establish a relationship with a steady supplier of brass, or try to buy thousands at a discounted price.

Armslist has some good deals every now and again, but in my experience if you need something soon, you're just going to have to bite the bullet and pay for it. If you have time to shop around you can find some good prices for brass.   

You probably won't get brass from Kensington. I'm 90% sure they have a guy they give/sell to and have been doing so for years. Worth a call though. 

DNR ranges would be your best bet. There's one in Waterford, but that's a heck of a drive just for some brass. Check their website for locations. 

Private ranges are there to make money; good luck getting anything from them for free.  

Either way, if you're serious about doing it you should know that finding primers has been spotty for ever. They are always in demand and if you buy them online you have to eat a $27.50 haz-mat shipping fee. I couldn't reload for 5 months when I ran out of my large-pistol primers because It took me that long to find some. 

Start looking at presses and dye's and prices of powders, primers, bullets, and casings. It'll give you a good idea of what you're diving into. 

what calibers are you trying to reload for?

what calibers are you trying to reload for?

Me? I would only be reloading for my .223 since that's the only gun I'll be shooting really.

So with a quick calculation of all the necessary things needed to reload, it comes to ~$.40 per round.  Does that sound right? This is not including the press and other things needed to get started.

So with a quick calculation of all the necessary things needed to reload, it comes to ~$.40 per round. Does that sound right? This is not including the press and other things needed to get started.

That sounds a little high.

Looked up the price of bullets, instantly became jealous. But it makes sense seeing that there is less lead than a 30 cal.

I'm getting about $15 for 100 bullets at cheaper than dirt, so there's $.15 per round. Good luck shopping around for this. I've found prices to be pretty fixed.

1000 CCI 400 (small rifle) primers are $40 at cabelas so there's $.04 per round. You can try shopping around, but really at most you'll bring your price per round down a penny if you do so.

And most of the common powders used to reload that round are about $25 per pound. It looks like 60 grain bullets are in the middle for .223 bullet weights. Within those it looks like ~23 grains is your average load. There are 7000 grains in a pound of powder so that's 304 bullets per pound or $0.08 per round.

So without brass i'm at 28 cents per round. The most you should ever pay for used brass is 10 cents per cartridge. You should be able to reload most cases 5 times or more. So factor that in and your price for brass is really 2 cents per cartridge at most (assuming used brass). Some cases you'll be able to reload 20 times, other's you'll only be able to reload 2. It depends on the loads, your gun, the quality of the brass and how it's handled. Shop around for brass and you can bring that price down.

Final cost per round: ~30 cents

.223 rounds can be had for 50 cents a piece so you'll be reloading for %60 the cost of new rounds. I wasn't lying earlier when I said most of the rounds I make are %60 the price of pre-made rounds. As long as you aren't buying super expensive components and spend a few minutes shopping around you should be able to consistently see those savings.

This is also assuming you get all this stuff locally and don't have to eat shipping/haz-mat fee's. Cabela's in Dundee is hit n'miss for primers and bullets. I always call them before I go since it's a bit of a trip. They have a horrid powder selection at that store; even when they have everything in stock.

Hope that helps.

So with a quick calculation of all the necessary things needed to reload, it comes to ~$.40 per round. Does that sound right? This is not including the press and other things needed to get started.

That sounds a little high.

Looked up the price of bullets, instantly became jealous. But it makes sense seeing that there is less lead than a 30 cal.

I'm getting about $15 for 100 bullets at cheaper than dirt, so there's $.15 per round. Good luck shopping around for this. I've found prices to be pretty fixed.

1000 CCI 400 (small rifle) primers are $40 at cabelas so there's $.04 per round. You can try shopping around, but really at most you'll bring your price per round down a penny if you do so.

And most of the common powders used to reload that round are about $25 per pound. It looks like 60 grain bullets are in the middle for .223 bullet weights. Within those it looks like ~23 grains is your average load. There are 7000 grains in a pound of powder so that's 304 bullets per pound or $0.08 per round.

So without brass i'm at 28 cents per round. The most you should ever pay for used brass is 10 cents per cartridge. You should be able to reload most cases 5 times or more. So factor that in and your price for brass is really 2 cents per cartridge at most (assuming used brass). Some cases you'll be able to reload 20 times, other's you'll only be able to reload 2. It depends on the loads, your gun, the quality of the brass and how it's handled. Shop around for brass and you can bring that price down. Final cost per round: ~30 cents

.223 rounds can be had for 50 cents a piece so you'll be reloading for ` the cost of new rounds. I wasn't lying earlier when I said most of the rounds I make are ` the price of pre-made rounds. As long as you aren't buying super expensive components and spend a few minutes shopping around you should be able to consistently see those savings.

This is also assuming you get all this stuff locally and don't have to eat shipping/haz-mat fee's. Cabela's in Dundee is hit n'miss for primers and bullets. I always call them before I go since it's a bit of a trip. They have a horrid powder selection at that store; even when they have everything in stock.

Hope that helps.

Yea that helps a lot. Thanks. When I got to my dads in Monroe/Maybee. It's 15 mins from cabelas. I'll check there and see what they have.

What reloaded do you use? 

Just a Lee turret press. Works fine for me! 

What reloaded do you use?

Just a Lee turret press. Works fine for me!

Thanks. I'm trying to talk myself into a Dillon.

IMG_110866898098886.jpg

That's a lot of accessories!  I want a grenade launcher on mine haha