Lee Carter

Death row 18 on 1500w?

Just bought a NIB Death Row, going to power it woth a Skar 1500. It is the 'old'(last year. I guess you would say) 1000w version. I am sure like most IA stuff these subs are conservatively rated, and it is a 'music' build. i shouldn't have to worry too much about overpowering right? I only ask cuz this is going to be my 15yo's truck next yr.   I am teaching him how to use his senses(hearing/smell, and common) to not overdrive the gear, but he is a teenager.LOL

On a side note- It is funny that when visually comparing to my Xcon- they are so close in all deminsions(which I realized has little to do with power handling), yet the X is rated for almost double.

2013-10-08162640.jpg

Your amp doesn't HAVE to put out 1500 watts. Just listen for stress and pay attention to your sub and you will be fine.

With impedance rise and the gain set right I don't see any problems. 

Most drivers can be "over powered" if done properly. I don't see why you can't use it on the skar1500 as long as you don't go crazy into the clipping. 

Motor size doesn't mean everything. The quality of steel and ferrite can change it all. Y35 vs Y40 or w/e. 

I figured it was good to go.  Not worried about it  too much while I am driving it...

-------------------------------------

"Motor size doesn't mean everything. The quality of steel and ferrite can change it all. Y35 vs Y40 or w/e."

-------------------------------------

Right- that's why I posted that I knew it had nothing to do with it- but to my son just learning, he was amazed.LOL

Go for it. I've noticed the entire IA line can do a good deal more than rated power without issues. Leads me to believe one of two things:

1. A conservative rating makes the fact you can play it well over rated power seem like you're getting more bang for your buck

2. To make sure that inexperienced bassheads stick to RMS ratings and, even with a signal full of hard clipping, still won't be able to break the damn thing

You should enjoy that DR, though. I would love to own one myself. That OR the XCON. What're your plans for her, anyway?

Go for it. I've noticed the entire IA line can do a good deal more than rated power without issues. Leads me to believe one of two things:

1. A conservative rating makes the fact you can play it well over rated power seem like you're getting more bang for your buck

2. To make sure that inexperienced bassheads stick to RMS ratings and, even with a signal full of hard clipping, still won't be able to break the damn thing

You should enjoy that DR, though. I would love to own one myself. That OR the XCON. What're your plans for her, anyway?

To get it a companion and use them in my Burb, with a Crescendo or Sundown 3500.  I have NO complaints with the Xcon- Ran across it for sale here and got a deal I couldn't refuse.  Figured it was gonna be a minute before doing the Suburban and decided to put it to use temporarily in my daily driver/son's future truck. 

Link to my build thread-

http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/forum/topic/60292-01-zuk-vs-18-xcon/

Thanks for the input guys- it is appreciated.