cehmke

Will 8's be enough for what im looking for?

Looking into a system for my 2012 Extended Cab Silverado. Wanting the box under the seat. Will not be able to fit anything more than a pair of 10's, but the question i keep pondering is if 2 8's with more breathing room will be more in-line with what im wanting than 10's. Looking for a good street beating system, if an SPL contest comes around my area, ill go compete for fun, but quality sound is a must at lower levels, but I want to be able to feel/hear it when I wanna roll the windows down and cruise. The little i have been researching, the Sundown Audio E8's , Incriminator Audio I8's, Alpine Type R's, and IDQ's seem to always have good reveiws. Im a fan of being different, but not at the expense of it costing out the butt.

What price are you looking for and whats your listening preference? 

listen to anything from george strait and florida georgia line (country), to Nickelback, Eminem, Three Doors Down, ..  pretty much anything thats not hard rock or classical .. not more than $125ish per woofer and no more than $500 for amp

Edited by cehmke

nickelback... *stabs icepick in ears*

i realize most parts/products are not totally made in the U.S.A., but for me, it would be a factor in my decision ..  not sure how to go about finding that info on different brands

imo the Sundown SA8's would be a better choice for you. Youll have the ability to port at a lower tuning frequency so you have a wider frequency spectrum. i think this is your best option.

Edited by ChILL

Chill is on the right mindset with this, 

You could absolutely use the ID8's in a sealed enclosure with a pretty good responce, but you will loose a lot of output. 

imo the Sundown SA8's would be a better choice for you. Youll have the ability to port at a lower tuning frequency so you have a wider frequency spectrum. i think this is your best option.

i had another question ...  in the trucks ..  how do the ported boxes sound underneath the seat? where do most people place the port? firing on the sides? out front in the middle? dual or combined chambers?

Most people do it the easy way with subs and port front facing. I like to have the subs forward, port down. Just make sure you leave yourself enough room under there.

Also, who ever marked my post negative can you please take that back? That gives negative reputation, it doesn't just indicate that you don't like what was said. Thanks

subs forward will probablly be the way I end up doing it, i dont like the idea of not being able to see the woofers, and Im sure they will be VERY close to hitting the floor facing down. Where on the box would be the ideal place for a port to face down? Seems like it may muffle it a bit?

Edited by cehmke

Most people do it the easy way with subs and port front facing. I like to have the subs forward, port down. Just make sure you leave yourself enough room under there.

Also, who ever marked my post negative can you please take that back? That gives negative reputation, it doesn't just indicate that you don't like what was said. Thanks

I didnt neg it, but I put it back at 0 for ya with a pos

Bro music. Lol.

subs forward will probablly be the way I end up doing it, i dont like the idea of not being able to see the woofers, and Im sure they will be VERY close to hitting the floor facing down. Where on the box would be the ideal place for a port to face down? Seems like it may muffle it a bit?

If you keep adequate room it'll be just fine. Also if you can do a common chamber for the subs it'll be easier to build a single port for them

I didnt neg it, but I put it back at 0 for ya with a pos

Thank you

Im torn between 8's and 10's ...  ive never heard 8's in a vehicle before, but the few i have heard in car audio shops seem to be really lacking in the lower frequency output

Its all in what drivers you use and what enclosure you put them in. for distance if you have a driver that has an fs of 50hz and you shove it into an enclosure that's tuned to 30hz its not gonna sound great at all. Also that same drive put in an enclosure tuned to around that 50hz range isnt going to be able to dig down deep because the tuning frequency of the enclosure had to be raised quite a bit. Now on the other hand if you have a driver that has an fs of around 30hz and tuned the enclosure to 30hz it would sound a lot better and be able to dig deep into those low frequencies.  

it sounds like a speaker w/ a fs around 32 and a ported enclosure tuned to 32hz is what im looking for ..  how limited are the options that will be good in a under the seat ported setup ..  not sure on the available airspace, but it cant be much at all

Im torn between 8's and 10's ...  ive never heard 8's in a vehicle before, but the few i have heard in car audio shops seem to be really lacking in the lower frequency output

Not sure how you could yet be torn. Perhaps I misread, but I didn't see anywhere in the thread where you stated the largest box you could fit. Until I knew that I wouldn't even think of shopping.

ie, read that as 10's of course IF they fit

i havent even taken the cover off of the truck in about 3 months ..  its
time for my to get it out and give it another cleaning and some
anti-gel before winter as this truck NEVER gets driven..  but would be a
good time to figure out enclosure space ...  i've been looking at the Xtreme Enclosures forward facing ffront slot ported box for 2 8's, thats very similar to what im looking for, and his box as a mono chamber with 1.4 cu. ft, so Im gonna guess thats a pretty good estimate of what i have to work with ... 

10's may not be a possibility with the available space that under the seat enclosures have

Edited by cehmke