Alanharthun

Chrysler crossfire zv4 build

Heya guys, I'm starting a somewhat crazy build. I've run several sims and I just cannot viably fit a large slot ported box in the car. So....

I'm looking at .75 mdf double baffled top 21" x 24.5" x 20.75" giving  4.8 gross cubes.  I'm bracing the box with rod iron.

I was looking a putting 2x 4" ports and tuning the box to around 32hz, with a single zv4 18 on a crescendo bd2000.

My question is do you guys think I should give a third 4" port and give up a tad of airspace? 3x 4" 16.5"long ports should give a tuning of ~34 hz.

I could also go with a single 6" port, but I don't have the room in the car or box to put two 6" ports

There is very little more room in the car after batteries and amps.

any input is appreciated.

You're doing an 18? Or was that a typo?

Not a typo. I wanted 2 12's but there is simply not enough room in the hatch porthole to make a longer box fit in. I have 36" of width I could use if it wasn't impossible to get into the car.

What you have is around what a 12" will take. An 18 will not work.

I'd go 15 at most and even then you'll be choking it.  You're also going to have to build the box in the car and you'll need to make use of all the area below the trunk (relocating the pump, etc) if not the side panels as well.

I'd go 15 at most and even then you'll be choking it.  You're also going to have to build the box in the car and you'll need to make use of all the area below the trunk (relocating the pump, etc) if not the side panels as well.

15 won't even work. He has 4.8 gross. He should be having at least 4 net.

He can fit more than 4.8 if he builds it in the trunk let alone utilitizing the space below the trunk and to the sides.  (I drive a crossfire for the record)

True, might be pushing it lol

Its the crossifre limited, hatchback, and with a bit of tweaking I'm able to pull 5.55 cubic feet after ports and speaker displacement(I gave the speaker .35 cubes as I wasn't exactly sure of the displacement. My only real fit issues at this point were  actually easy to fix, just popped the plastic pieces out of the car to increase the size of the openings at the edges. Then I  dropped the box in by one corner and spun it on edge till it fell into place then snapped the plastic back. I haven't cut my speaker cutout yet, I just wanted to see if I could fit a square peg in a round hole. I went with a maple top piece, double baffle. It hangs over the divider wall by about 3 inches, and I can still see out the rear window. My issue at this point will be getting the box back out of the car.... Also I rounded off all the edges and corners on the box.  I could have made the box 2 inches wider and still fit it in, probably with more difficulty.

Will update if I can actually remove the box without destroying it, as I haven't tried to remove it. I have 2 extra batteries to put in the rear kick panels, xs power. I haven't found a good high amp alternator that fits my motor yet either.

Ah. Speaker box comes out. Barely. Will have to put the sub in it after I put the box in. Found an alternator for a slk320 200 amp and a universal 220 amp made by powerbastards. I might try the universal fit one.

Will post pics when when I start installing.

Edited by Alanharthun

Okay, alternator problem solved. I found a company called quality power that builds 200 amp alternators for the mercedes slk320.  Their customer service was great, they returned my call within an hour. This guy tells me they test the alternator at ~125 amps idle 200-220 amps at 2500 engine rpms. Their build matches the delco factory alt, and as such fits a crossfire with the 3.2. I don't know if the supercharged 3.2 uses the same alt. This with my 2 xs power batteries oughtta help push the crescendo bc2000d nicely.  Still haven't purchased a woofer.  I want the 18 bad, but I might settle for the 15. I have the one box built, but I'm leery of building a box into the car. I could get far more air space that way. Its just an undertaking that might push me beyond my skill level. MDF is cheap. I can always build another.

Edited by Alanharthun

You're going to break my heart if you're doing this in an SRT :(  

Get some pics up though, should be an interesting build. 

Knukonceptz is sold out on standard wire colors.... hows yellow and baby blue sound?

hows yellow and baby blue sound?

Hell, it's close enough to Easter!

Alright, here goes the first update. I've upgraded to a quality power 200 amp alternator, built for a slk320. 1/0 power and grounds to block and battery. Run 1/0 cables to the rear of the car. Ended up buying a box from a friend who builds fantastic labyrinth ported boxes. Built it to fit in the rear opening. Gives 3.6 cubic feet after port. Tuned to 31 hz. Ended up going for a fi sub, sp4 15. Also had a free amp dropped in my lap by that same friend. Some hifonics 2400.1d, supposedly CEA certified. We will see. Still sold on the crescendo 2500 and may still buy it. Sub ordered Nov 18. Expect it in around xmas. Pics incoming over the next few weeks.