if i have a sub box that has a rating of 40hz will the subwoofer still sound good and play low notes if the subwoofer is rated at 33hz

or will i have to have the same rated hz on the box as well as the sub to make it sound correctly

Thanks for any responses,

Edited by FiAudioSubwoofersjj

You're assigning relationships between things (box tuning frequency and subwoofer's Fs) that absolutely do not exist.  

This is audio 101. A 40 hz. tune means anything below that tuning can start causing over excursion and damage the sub. Keep the ssf at 40 hz. Not to point the finger only at you but research your questions a little before you ask them. This has been gone over a hundred times already. A tiny bit of effort and you could have found this out on your own.

Yes.  The box is MORE important than the driver.  Put a great driver in a shitty box and it will sound WORSE than a shitty driver in a perfect box.  For a box to be perfect it has to be designed for the driver and goals at hand.  ie, you can't just use a random box.  TERRIBLE idea.

This is audio 101. A 40 hz. tune means anything below that tuning can start causing over excursion and damage the sub. Keep the ssf at 40 hz. Not to point the finger only at you but research your questions a little before you ask them. This has been gone over a hundred times already. A tiny bit of effort and you could have found this out on your own.

This is an audio forum. If a guy has no questions to ask because he just uses the search function it would be a very boring life around here ;) There is nothing wrong with asking audio related questions on SSA.

Agreed it would be boring. So to further a sew the question... 40 hz. is a pretty high tune. You would likely miss out on the " lows " you are looking for. Decaf, bassitronics, dubstep, rap, usually plays below that frequency. And on a further note, don't spend a lot of time focusing on one t/s parameter. Rms, fs, qts, and such don't mean much on their own. It's the parameters as a whole that mean something. Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't tell a newbie to put 1k on a sub rated for 250 watts. It can be done without damage but only when you know what you're doing.